TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Value of a complete 427 Side oiler mill

SGT/SC#0471

So a yachting friend tells me he has an old boat on the hard with a 427 side oiler in it...turns free and is complete...wants to know if I want it...DUH!!

What is this mill worth approx? Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea, but that's way too bad ass to pass up on (or to NOT post pics of)! :shift:

I have absolutely no idea, but that's way too bad ass to pass up on (or to NOT post pics of)! :shift:

I know I have no car planned to put it in...but I will keep you posted.

I do have a clear spot in the garage next to the forged 327 crank that I got out of an old Chris Craft that died a detonated death. It's right next to the free 327 complete engine. I would love a straight 66 Chevy II for that set-up, haha.

I am really really trying to not call him tomorrow and sound too excited...he is not a car guy by any means...but they know I am. I must be cool and I think I can score it cheap, they really want it out of the hull...only glitch someone once told his wife it was a cool motor... :drool:

$25,000 to $30,000 depending on condition. I just priced one out for a friend who is doing a project with a 67' Galaxie. Hard to find, but when you do, you pay through the nose for one.

It's impossible to price accurately without knowing some details. Is it solid or hydrolic lifters? Standard Bore? What year is the casting? In addition, some marine 427s have reverse rotation, this can make a big difference in value.

It's impossible to price accurately without knowing some details. Is it solid or hydrolic lifters? Standard Bore? What year is the casting? In addition, some marine 427s have reverse rotation, this can make a big difference in value.

The answer is somewhere between 0 and a lot (but probably not $20K). As a marine application it's probably been run pretty hard. Might have to be bored out just to get a fit on new cylinders.

Try contacting the folks at Gessford Machine. (www.gessford.com)

They rebuild the 427's so probably have an idea.

The answer is somewhere between 0 and a lot (but probably not $20K). As a marine application it's probably been run pretty hard. Might have to be bored out just to get a fit on new cylinders.

Try contacting the folks at Gessford Machine. (www.gessford.com)

They rebuild the 427's so probably have an idea.

You can buy a well-built NOS 427 SO for about $20k these days, at least from the guy who built my engine (he still has a bunch of NOS 427 blocks that he bought up from NASCAR shops years ago when they changed the rules and weren't allowed to run them anymore). His name is Dwight Powell and he's been building them since 1968 (including for NASCAR) and knows his stuff. I was introduced to him by Stephen Becker (Shelby dealer) and twoshelbys can confirm he's a good guy.

Let me know if you want Dwight's contact info.

You can buy a well-built NOS 427 SO for about $20k these days, at least from the guy who built my engine (he still has a bunch of NOS 427 blocks that he bought up from NASCAR shops years ago when they changed the rules and weren't allowed to run them anymore). His name is Dwight Powell and he's been building them since 1968 (including for NASCAR) and knows his stuff. I was introduced to him by Stephen Becker (Shelby dealer) and twoshelbys can confirm he's a good guy.

Let me know if you want Dwight's contact info.

I concur. A rebuilt engine is in the $20K ballpark, but a used engine won't get near that.

Becker is a straight up guy. He builds good Cobras. If you go to SAI he also is the owner of the "9000 mile GT500". It's quite a story and a beautiful car! Of course, most of those 9000 miles were done 1/4 mile at a time... It's still a very nice GT500 that will some day bring some big bucks.

Cam and Ignition order only for making any gas engine reverse rotation...and the acessories differ.

I almost choked when I checked this thread...did not realize the value...

Thanks guys I am going to wait a few before contacting the current owner...gotta be cool. And get some serial/casting numbers as well to verify.

Homework is always good. Be sure that it is an automotive application and remember that rebuilding one of these is a very labor intensive project. Good luck!

Atta boy.. play it cool. :hysterical::drool::drool:

Very hard...may be able to get it for the time of pulling it out...next week I will make the call when its really raining and cold... :hysterical: (Boat is outside)

So coincidence...saw a 66 Chev II today FOR SALE caged and tubbed with a built 454.... :hysterical: bizarre.

It's a sign man. :lurk:

I know it was being sold for less than the guy had in the motor...he was at a independant mc shop I go to. Running slicks in the rain! My kinda guy! And this morning a buddy called who wanted my Scout real bad...hhhmmmm Sell Scout add 2k and have a proven sub 12 sec drag car with a plate....ju ju man...

I know it was being sold for less than the guy had in the motor...he was at a independant mc shop I go to. Running slicks in the rain! My kinda guy! And this morning a buddy called who wanted my Scout real bad...hhhmmmm Sell Scout add 2k and have a proven sub 12 sec drag car with a plate....ju ju man...

It's like voodoo or something. Get on it and post some GD pics! :lol:

P.S. If you know of a 427 SOHC call me.

There used to be two on display at Jim Greens Speed Shop in Lynwood WA not sure if he is even open anymore...

I will let you know if I spy any...

edit: he's still there and into the SOHC 427's read this thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive...p/t-152537.html

• 2 weeks later...

Update...Called the owner last Friday, and told them I would remove it fom the boat and give them a few hundred bucks for the engine...Waiting on the answer.

They asked what I was gonns do with it....look for a Mustang was my answer...

I did play it way cool, we will see if they want to get rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice original 427 SO with all the "right stuff" today will cost likely anywhere from

$25$ to $30k at least. Make sure it is really a side oiler. Cross bolted mains. Also as stated above be careful with Marine blocks, reverse rotation and they have usually been run hard and exposed to moisture. Sonic and pressure testing a must. Make sure the block is not more then .30 over.

There are different variations of the 427 SO. NASCAR SO (1965 only), standard SO, service blocks, and marine blocks.

• 1 month later...

A nice original 427 SO with all the "right stuff" today will cost likely anywhere from

$25$ to $30k at least. Make sure it is really a side oiler. Cross bolted mains. Also as stated above be careful with Marine blocks, reverse rotation and they have usually been run hard and exposed to moisture. Sonic and pressure testing a must. Make sure the block is not more then .30 over.

There are different variations of the 427 SO. NASCAR SO (1965 only), standard SO, service blocks, and marine blocks.

Thanks...update is I am waiting until after x-mas...Its still there...and I am still here waiting for a price from the current owner...doh.gif

That is a ton of coin...

I can say that the only difference in a reverse rotation marine motor that I know of is the cam, starter, alt, and thats it that I know of....

This boat has a single engine but a lot of times a single still goes in reverse to counter prop torque to a certain direction. Twins are usually one reg rotation and one reverse in gas installs.

So the update is there is no update...waiting....

Thanks for your informative post! I will post more after I know more....

Thanks...update is I am waiting until after x-mas...Its still there...and I am still here waiting for a price from the current owner...doh.gif

That is a ton of coin...

I can say that the only difference in a reverse rotation marine motor that I know of is the cam, starter, alt, and thats it that I know of....

This boat has a single engine but a lot of times a single still goes in reverse to counter prop torque to a certain direction. Twins are usually one reg rotation and one reverse in gas installs.

So the update is there is no update...waiting....

Thanks for your informative post! I will post more after I know more....

That is for a rebuilt engine, not an engine that needs to be rebuilt. But yes, a true 427SO is in that range once you're done.

• 3 months later...

Update...still there I have yet to see it, Owner wants to wait until Summer and then scrap the boat and make the engine mine....we will see. Boat is not in Seattle and we are...man I'd like to go see it but I don't want to seem too interested...car parts pretty funny.

Archived