TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Axle Seal Leak

So, out at the track the other day, I take a mid-day break to rotate my tires. I pull off the right-rear and find the inside of the wheel lightly coated with axle lube..... I take a look and no leaks from the brakes... and could see it wet and dripping behind the rotor. It wasn't a ton. So, I called a few people (Pottydr) and he told me not to drive it anymore, but couldn't resist and did two more heats! :) I figure if i'm going out, i'm going out big! I made it home ok and actually noticed that to some degree it had stopped. I drove it a little yesterday for a bit and noticed a couple more drips. I called the guys at the shop who did my gear swap and they said they re-use the bearings and seal since the car was so new when I did it. Although, new bearings/seals are like a $40 part. I think they should have just done it. But what I'm worried about now is "why" it would leak? I was hammering pretty hard through corners and with my Watt's Link in now, the car rolls a whole lot less and i'm kind of wondering if the axle is taking the brunt of that compression? I'll find out more this weekend when I take it and they take a look at it. I figured if anything I'd give you guys a heads up on it, especially if you're getting gear swaps done. I'd pay the $40 to at least get something new since they have to pull the axles anyway. And or if anyone has an idea as to what caused this anyway....

As a wrench I will say that reusing any seal is false economy, no matter how new the component. You pull the shaft, you put in a new seal. Like building a house there are many ways to get stuff done. But new seals are what I do. And I get USA made seals. It makes a difference.

To save dough get USA made seals from a "bearing house" if you live in a decent sized city. There are "standard sizes".

You will also find belts and of course bearings there as well. Usually loctite and pulleys and cool industrial type lube spraysand sealants as well. There is also threadserts and helicoils. A timkin bearing from a Harley dealer that costs 15.00 will cost 5.00 at a "bearing house". FTF.

Also I would check the rear end vent for obstructions.

You could have also heated up the oil, maybe a KR type expansion tank is for you?

Hope this helps...sounds like you had a fun time!! Cheers!

So, out at the track the other day, I take a mid-day break to rotate my tires. I pull off the right-rear and find the inside of the wheel lightly coated with axle lube..... I take a look and no leaks from the brakes... and could see it wet and dripping behind the rotor. It wasn't a ton. So, I called a few people (Pottydr) and he told me not to drive it anymore, but couldn't resist and did two more heats! :) I figure if i'm going out, i'm going out big! I made it home ok and actually noticed that to some degree it had stopped. I drove it a little yesterday for a bit and noticed a couple more drips. I called the guys at the shop who did my gear swap and they said they re-use the bearings and seal since the car was so new when I did it. Although, new bearings/seals are like a $40 part. I think they should have just done it. But what I'm worried about now is "why" it would leak? I was hammering pretty hard through corners and with my Watt's Link in now, the car rolls a whole lot less and i'm kind of wondering if the axle is taking the brunt of that compression? I'll find out more this weekend when I take it and they take a look at it. I figured if anything I'd give you guys a heads up on it, especially if you're getting gear swaps done. I'd pay the $40 to at least get something new since they have to pull the axles anyway. And or if anyone has an idea as to what caused this anyway....

At Willow it will blow out the vent and wet the right side, check it out.

At Willow it will blow out the vent and wet the right side, check it out.

Hey DevilDog - I appreciate the insight.... But it appeared to me that it was coming from behind the rotor itself? But let me understand this? The vent is on the passenger side (The WATT'S Link has a cut-out for it) and when cornering hard left, the expanded fluid escapes from vent and ends up inside the wheel?

Sorry, if someone has knowledge i'd like to understand better.... The fluid in there gets heated to the point that it expands and escapes through the vent? So, i'm wondering how it ends up behind the rotor? The KR expansion tank attaches to the tank and catches the fluid then so it doesn't end up on the wheels/tire/track?

Archived