TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Performance Tune

shelbypt

Any info from Lund? How many ponies and any contact info would help. Thanks.

In a conversation I had with one of the guys at Evolution, John Cook I believe, he said that the HP increase could be between 40 - 60HP. Check out this link for a GT500 tune with SCT3, it provides 59 HP increase. http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=239

There phone number at Evolution is 610-485-3596.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do I do this?

You call VMP or Evolution and tell them the year and model car you have. They will download a tune into an SCT3 module for you and send it out. You will hook this up to the port under your dash, drivers side. Follow instructions. It will allow you to save your stock tune prior to uploading the new tune. The module also allows you to make changes, like gear ratios, tire sizes, etc.... I hope that answered your question.

I think what he was asking is how he can supply the link. If you find the tune you were talking about on a website just go to the address bar on top, highlight it (put the arrow on the address and left click) then right click it and press copy. Then come here and right click again and Paste.

You call VMP or Evolution and tell them the year and model car you have. They will download a tune into an SCT3 module for you and send it out. You will hook this up to the port under your dash, drivers side. Follow instructions. It will allow you to save your stock tune prior to uploading the new tune. The module also allows you to make changes, like gear ratios, tire sizes, etc.... I hope that answered your question.

I'm also looking for a tune and a slight increase on the rev limiter. I had a superchips tuner for my GTCS and it also works for the KR. I talked with superchips and they had me copy the stock KR tune and send it to them and they have had it for about two weeks. I hope to hear from them soon. A small hp increase would be nice but I think getting the revlimiter bumped up will be the true improvement. The engine is still coming on powerfully, building bigtime, when the stock limit hits. I know there is plenty beyond the stock limit to win a close race. I will let everyone know what they come up with. Hey a few calls to let them know I'm not the only guy wanting to tweek my engine's computer might cause them to put more effort into it. The KR market probably looks tiny to them. BTW the handheld does store the stock tune so you can return it to stock anytime and go back and forth if you want.

Here is the answer from Dan DeSio of Pro-Dyno, who tuned my KR:

I do not sell my tunes mail order, as they are custom for every vehicle. There are entirely too many inconsistencies from car to car so I just don’t chance it. After seeing the differences with the same tune car to car I don’t feel it is worth the risk to sell tunes in this manner.

Thank You.

Daniel DeSio; Pro-Dyno,llc.; 3545-f Centre Circle; Fort Mill SC 29715; 704-651-3807

I was very impressed with Dan and his crew. They spent over an hour tuning my KR, and it generated a lot of spectator interest (the sound of the engine, SC whine, and exhaust is just so bad ass!). I can recommend them without reservation.

Chris

I absolutely agree with this. But.....if were talking about the difference between 5-10hp with a car thats never going to be raced and just driven on the street from time to time. I would say if the dyno is not close to you why bother. Would all agree that the difference between a "mail order tune" and a dyno tune is 5-10hp difference??

Here is the answer from Dan DeSio of Pro-Dyno, who tuned my KR:

I do not sell my tunes mail order, as they are custom for every vehicle. There are entirely too many inconsistencies from car to car so I just don’t chance it. After seeing the differences with the same tune car to car I don’t feel it is worth the risk to sell tunes in this manner.

Thank You.

Daniel DeSio; Pro-Dyno,llc.; 3545-f Centre Circle; Fort Mill SC 29715; 704-651-3807

I was very impressed with Dan and his crew. They spent over an hour tuning my KR, and it generated a lot of spectator interest (the sound of the engine, SC whine, and exhaust is just so bad ass!). I can recommend them without reservation.

Chris

Hey guys, I know many Shelby owners who have installed a tune using their SCT module. The tunes come from very reputable companies like Evolution, JLT, VMP. I installed a JLT CAI and tune into my 07 GT500 and it woke it up BIG time, not 10 HP, but closer to 70HP. No engine codes, ran perfect and much better. I will be going with a tune from Evoution! Jon Lund has performed thousands of tunes for Evolution and others and I haven't heard one complaint. Some tunes should be done on a Dyno though. I.e. if you had long tube headers on, different component matches like TB, super charger, injectors, etc... But if your car is pretty much stock, the filed tunes are great.

Count me in on that tune with you. Maybe we can get a package deal. Let me know.

Hey guys, I know many Shelby owners who have installed a tune using their SCT module. The tunes come from very reputable companies like Evolution, JLT, VMP. I installed a JLT CAI and tune into my 07 GT500 and it woke it up BIG time, not 10 HP, but closer to 70HP. No engine codes, ran perfect and much better. I will be going with a tune from Evoution! Jon Lund has performed thousands of tunes for Evolution and others and I haven't heard one complaint. Some tunes should be done on a Dyno though. I.e. if you had long tube headers on, different component matches like TB, super charger, injectors, etc... But if your car is pretty much stock, the filed tunes are great.

Well, SuperChips really dropped the ball on me. They now have a GT500KR tune but they don't know anything about their tune. I called and talked to a supervisor who contacted the actual tuner and they say they found a KR to do the tune on but apparently the owner didn't want to leave it with them as long as they needed so they couldn't dyno the result but it ran OK. ????????!!!!!!>???? That is exactly what they just told me minutes ago. I've been held up for 2 months and 6 days while I waited on these guys. During that time three promises to call me back were forgotten or just broken, then last Friday I got email saying my tune was ready with no details. I called for details and got quoted truly unbelievable HP and torque increases (to over 600 HP) and all other questions could not be answered -- stuff like did they use a KR to develop the tune, was it stock, what's the new rev limit, fan temp, adjustability of those last two, etc.etc.could not be answered. Very dissatisfied with the lack of info I tried to update the hanheld unit anyway and got the typical Calibration Not Supported message and by then they had all left for the weekend. Monday I called and was told to ignore the messages and reload the car (I didn't -- who would?) and when I instead asked about the details of the new tune, I got totally different info from what I got three days before for rev limit, HP and torque -- still unbelievable! At this point I said goodbye and called their operator (wonderful person) and I tried to climb their chain of command for some help and got the supervisor that I mention above and learned enough to give up on SuperChips forever. He openly understood my concerns and agreed to let me rewturn the unit.. I plan to return it. I'm shocked that their development was done so unproffesionally and that no indication was offered to me to left me know that this not the high quality of work that their advertising indicates is their standard. What I discovered upon digging for details basically seem to be that I got a sloppy tune which was rushed and untested.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND SUPERCHIPS TO ANY GT500KR OWNER.

OK, so who are we going to go with. Lets try and get a small group buy here. I'm going to call Evolution performance tomorrow and Justin at VMP Tuning. Can I tell them that there are a couple KR owners who are looking just for a great stock tune? Let me know.

Well, SuperChips really dropped the ball on me. They now have a GT500KR tune but they don't know anything about their tune. I called and talked to a supervisor who contacted the actual tuner and they say they found a KR to do the tune on but apparently the owner didn't want to leave it with them as long as they needed so they couldn't dyno the result but it ran OK. ????????!!!!!!>???? That is exactly what they just told me minutes ago. I've been held up for 2 months and 6 days while I waited on these guys. During that time three promises to call me back were forgotten or just broken, then last Friday I got email saying my tune was ready with no details. I called for details and got quoted truly unbelievable HP and torque increases (to over 600 HP) and all other questions could not be answered -- stuff like did they use a KR to develop the tune, was it stock, what's the new rev limit, fan temp, adjustability of those last two, etc.etc.could not be answered. Very dissatisfied with the lack of info I tried to update the hanheld unit anyway and got the typical Calibration Not Supported message and by then they had all left for the weekend. Monday I called and was told to ignore the messages and reload the car (I didn't -- who would?) and when I instead asked about the details of the new tune, I got totally different info from what I got three days before for rev limit, HP and torque -- still unbelievable! At this point I said goodbye and called their operator (wonderful person) and I tried to climb their chain of command for some help and got the supervisor that I mention above and learned enough to give up on SuperChips forever. He openly understood my concerns and agreed to let me rewturn the unit.. I plan to return it. I'm shocked that their development was done so unproffesionally and that no indication was offered to me to left me know that this not the high quality of work that their advertising indicates is their standard. What I discovered upon digging for details basically seem to be that I got a sloppy tune which was rushed and untested.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND SUPERCHIPS TO ANY GT500KR OWNER.

Just a note about KR tunes.

KR tunes already have the Ford procal tune in them. Which is dramatically tweaked over a stock GT500. It has a tweaked driver demand table, higher torque settings, etc.

The only real power you will gain tweaking a KR tune is in the timing curve . It has 18 degree's in it stock at WOT most tuners bump that up to 21.

There a couple other things that can be tweaked a small amount, but if you want it safe and still get some extra power the timing really is it.

Just a note about KR tunes.

KR tunes already have the Ford procal tune in them. Which is dramatically tweaked over a stock GT500. It has a tweaked driver demand table, higher torque settings, etc.

The only real power you will gain tweaking a KR tune is in the timing curve . It has 18 degree's in it stock at WOT most tuners bump that up to 21.

There a couple other things that can be tweaked a small amount, but if you want it safe and still get some extra power the timing really is it.

Is that going to get you 20-40HP Like they claim. We'll see what they say.

Is that going to get you 20-40HP Like they claim. We'll see what they say.

Realistically 20 yes.

40 nope

If they are making more then 20 then they are adding more timing then 21 degrees, which IMO is unsafe..........

There is almost no HP in making the car leaner then where it is already.(11.5-11.7)

So again if a tuner is making any more changes then that to a KR tune they will not be doing you any real justice (just my opinion)

Here is reply from Justin at VMP Tuning...

Hey, definitely, there is a good 20-30rwhp in a tune alone, and if you want to swap a pulley there is another 30-40rwhp to be had. Check out this dynograph, it shows stock KR, stock with tune, and with pulley. The KR comes with frpp intake and pro-cal tune stock.

http://vmptuning.com.../tjpeckfrpp.jpg

Realistically 20 yes.

40 nope

If they are making more then 20 then they are adding more timing then 21 degrees, which IMO is unsafe..........

There is almost no HP in making the car leaner then where it is already.(11.5-11.7)

So again if a tuner is making any more changes then that to a KR tune they will not be doing you any real justice (just my opinion)

Hi all,

New to this forum. Have been spending a few weeks at http://www.fordgt500.com, but most all of the members, if not all, were gt500 owners. I was the only KR owner there, or so it seemed. I finally figured...hey...there's GOT to be a KR forum somewhere! And here I am!

Anyway, I took delivery of my 2008 black on black KR about 3 weeks ago here in Southern California.

I have been interested in researching these performance mods being discussed in this thread. Mainly a new pulley, new tune, and some suspension work.

I spoke with Craig at Shelby today for about an hour. He is a tech guy there. Great guy and very knowledgeable. And understood the whole worry thing about taking the KR out of stock. More on that later.

The car will have to be re-mapped if putting on a smaller pulley. I am very interested in the VMP 2.65 pulley. Seems to be very quality. I have heard Justin's name bantered around on the gt500 forum. Seems to be a very good tune. Craig was not against the tune. In fact, he said those tune kits are very handy. Not only does it store your original factory tune, but has other neat things like keeping your speedometer accurate if you go with 20" wheels. You plug it in and tell it that the wheel size has been changed and it changes to computer so your speedometer reads accurately. And many other uses.

He said in particular with the tune, that the tune MUST be a tune never used on another car. Don't buy one off of Ebay, for example. The tune, essentially, marries itself to your specific car. If the tune has been used on another car, it won't do anything with yours. So the tune MUST be bought from a reputable dealer. This Justin guy sounds like a good one and he will of course know about the essential of the tune sent to you not having been used on another car. That's not to say that the tune can't be the same tune as used on another KR, but that the software sent to you must be virgin.

He had good things to say about JLT also.

I asked him why Shelby didn't take care of all this with the KR that they finally offered. His answer makes sense. And that was, if Ford didn't make it, Ford didn't want it put on the car. Simple as that. For example, the prototype pics of the KR were with 20" wheels and eibach springs so it sat lower. Ford said take it off because it's not made by ford. So Shelby was at the mercy of what ford or ford racing or ford svt approved. Including panhard bars and watts links. Which ford doesn't make (apparently). And on and on with the suspension. cc plates, bushings, etc....

Point is that Shelby realizes that there are improvements that could be made to the car. But were limited to what they could put on it depending on Ford approving it or not.

He said mod away. Do what you want on taking it out of stock.....so long as everything is bolt on. No drilling holes in the body putting a roll cage in, for example. Whatever you do, do it knowing that you can return it to original stock. Keep all stock parts, sealed and labeled. And you are good to go And in the case of the tune, keep the original tune on file should you need to go back to the factory settings.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading. VMP is topping the charts for the pulley, idler, throttle body, high flow inlet elbow, and tune.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet on lowering the car...eibach springs is my initial feeling. But you can't simply lower the car. There are other things that must be done as a result so don't get abnormal suspension/tire wear.

Panhard bar vs watts link, I think I'm going watts link. And I'm liking BMR for this. The watts link will center the wheels (they are .25" uncentered from the factory), and keep the wheels on the ground better.

Shelby is going to email me an estimate for doing all this. I'll get the advantage of the warranty and if I were to ever sell the car the receipts being from the Shelby plant itself is obviously much better .......vs doing it all myself. So I'm thinking about that.

Any additional thoughts....jump in! Happy motoring!!

Here are some links:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=103&pg=1

Posted on another forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang_Scotty

People are saying the only thing a KR tune does is bump the timing and all you can get is maybe 20HP?

bullshiit

i dynod a stock kR and it made right at 500 rwhp on a dyno jet with 91 pump gas that is way more than 20,, there is way more to the kr tune than most people know

so before you ask joe tuner for a tune make sure they understand that too

Secondo,

I think the drag radials made more of the difference in this race. Tough to make an apples to apples comparison with the tune with the difference in tires. What do you think?

I was running 11.80's @ 122 MPH and he was low 13's @ 113. The drag radials can't help for a second and 9mph. I got probably 100hp over the KR tune. The mph indicates HP if you have traction or not.

I was running 11.80's @ 122 MPH and he was low 13's @ 113. The drag radials can't help for a second and 9mph. I got probably 100hp over the KR tune. The mph indicates HP if you have traction or not.

MM and fast fords tested a stock KR and went 11.5X at 122 on drag radials (On stock rubber it went 11.9 at 121)

There allot to compare when you are trying to compare two different cars specially going down the track.

The most important thing in a GT500 is the driver.(beside many other factors, whats else is done to the car, gears, pully etc).

There is no way a tune alone in a kR will yield 100hp

A tune and a cold air (only)in a GT500 is worth 60 hp

So how can anybody yield another 40 from the same car that already has a cold air and a tune in it. Yes ford tune is on the safe side(where most want to be. The Ford tune with the cai is worth 40hp).

I myself don’t want a tune that has 24 degrees of timing and have to worry about adding torco because now the car is pining. (besides what else is turned off in the tune to make 10 extra HP and you start burning up your cats now)

If you add a tune a pulley and some other bolts on yes a 100HP can be had. From a tune alone its not happening.

I agree blackshelby. And you added the most important thing and hardest to quantify...the driver. Professional drivers are one thing and is the best way to take that out of the equation. As an ex air force pilot, in the fighter world, the plane is important. But the PILOT is the dealbreaker.

Secondo was clearly the better driver in this instance. And his drag radials, provided no other mods, were a huge difference. But he was the biggest difference.

I would not want any tune that is going to knock out my catalytic converters. I have to pass california smog standards for one thing. Not withstanding engine damage. I'm going to change the pulley, which will result in a re-map. But I'm going to research the hell out of it first. I don't want the car running too lean, nor knocking out the cats. Your reasoning is very sound as to getting a better tune out of what is already there in the KR. It's amped up as it is. Doing anything else must be preceeded with extreme caution and knowing exactly what you are willing to tune.

You are saying you got about 100hp from a tune alone? Any other mods? Blower? Pulley?

Stage 2 includes CAI, smaller supercharger pulley, NGK spark plugs and performance tune that add about 110+ WHP with no other mods. Understandably, the Ford tune is very conservative. I have had the Stage 2 tune for over a year and 8k miles, never had any issues or pinging. Wakes up the car. The proof is in the video. The other driver has been drag racing the car for a couple years and knows how to drive it but is afraid to add any aftermarket parts due to his car losing resale value headscratch.gif . His loss.

Stage 2 includes CAI, smaller supercharger pulley, NGK spark plugs and performance tune that add about 110+ WHP with no other mods. Understandably, the Ford tune is very conservative. I have had the Stage 2 tune for over a year and 8k miles, never had any issues or pinging. Wakes up the car. The proof is in the video. The other driver has been drag racing the car for a couple years and knows how to drive it but is afraid to add any aftermarket parts due to his car losing resale value headscratch.gif . His loss.

Sean - Let me know when you're racing next and I'll put $1K on you to WIN...You're the MAN!!! Alan

Just got off the phone with Evolution Performance. The guy said the KR is not tuned. (something with the transfer case or something) but said 35HP gain from a Tune on the KR. He said it doesn't matter what anyone says on here. Take the car to the dyno, flash the computer and if you don't get 35HP gains then send it back for a full refund.

Ok

to give some an idea what is actually changed in the KR tune over a stock tune I overlaid the tunes for you.(These are totally stock files from a KR and a GT500)

Everything highlighted in black is different from the stock gt500 tune ver the KR.

The KR does have a tune in it already . It is a procal tune from Ford.

The KR has a great torques tables(tip in etc) Most tuners love this tune and will use this KR file for Gt500 tunes and just add some more timing to it.

It has a more aggressive pedal feel(driver deamnd table) and delivers excellent drivability

The only real place you will find HP in a KR tune in adding spark or leaning it out some.

21 is the max timing I feel is safe . Some will add more timing to make more HP.

Some things can be shut off or tweaked in the program which I wouldnt suggest doing.(this is just my opinion)

Dont get me wrong a tune will add HP in your KR and I would suggest one if you want more HP.

The question is how much that tune will add being safe?(How much timing is in the program, and how lean is it)

My own comfort zone is 21 max on the timing and 11.5-11.7 A/F wise

post-6294-127738175746_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738176919_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738178065_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738179235_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738180952_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738175746_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738176919_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738178065_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738179235_thumb.jpg

post-6294-127738180952_thumb.jpg

Archived