TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Performance Tune

shelbypt

I want to keep my KR as stock as possible, but feel a tune may wake it up even more. With my 07 GT500, I installed the JLT CAI with a tune and it woke up big time. Has anyone had a tune done that adds horsepower, but does not cause engine lights to come on? Also, anyone who's done any performance add ons that work, feel free to chime in.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind, there is already a performance tune on it from Shelby to allow for the increased airflow from the CAI and hood...could it be more agressively tuned without leaning out? Good question! I am also interested in any other performance mods that have been done.

On a more serious note. Suppose you try a different tune but decide to return to the original tune that was installed at SAI, how will that work?

I would "assume" it would work like any other tune. If you reprogram the computer with a new tune, you'll need a hand held programmer. The tune that's currently in your car will go into the tuner and get stored, while the new tune goes and gets loaded int the car's computer.

So far so good with the suggestions, please keep them coming. I was not aware of a performance tune from SAI, I will look further into that. The blower may be a good option a few years down the road. Oh, and by the way FIA, I'll see you on Nicholls road when you get that awesome KR. I have the carbon fiber rearviews which you know are more aerodynamic. I have the advantage :-) Plus I'll wax the underside of my KR....

Thanks Crazyhorse. I have also read that KR's are getting about 509 RWHP (or 580-590) at the crank so if that's true, I am wondering how they are getting that without a very aggressive tune. Other than the CAI and exhaust, there isn't anything else different from a standard GT500 which is hitting the dynos at around 430-450 RWHP. Thoughts?

The TVS is Ford Racing Performances supercharger upgrade. It will bring the Shelby GT500 crank horsepower over 600. It costs about $5,600.

So has any of the KR owners dynoed their car? These KRs feel like they are pushing more power than the 540!

Good Job txcobra! That makes since. My 07 GT500 had the 373 gears too with the JLT cai and tune and there is still a difference with the KR. My KR is breaking loose too easily. I took a corner leading to the interstate, like I've always done in the GT500, but the KR broke loose and went about 70deg sideways. In my mind, I was thinking OH SHET, you can't wreck this car. So, since then I have been taking it really easy and re-leanring how to drive. it.

Every KR dyno pull I have seen, both in magazines and at Tasca, have shown 507-515 at the wheels. Figuring the 20% rule that means more than 540 at the crank for sure. The 2010 GT 500, even though rated the same, only seems to be getting 480rwhp. That's why I suggested porting the stock blower instead of swapping to a TVS. Seems like it would be about the same gain for alot less money. Of course, if the TVS is under rated as well, that's different.

Archived