TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Suspension Noise on SGT

Has anyone noticed any strange noises from the rear, under-side of your SGT over road bumps? I'm hearing some major squeak-type noise that appears to be some type of rubber or urethane bushing? It is rather annoying after a while. I was wondering if this would have anything to do with the rear sway bar bushings or perhaps the shock bushings?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

My front and rear suspension both make noise when I go over speed bumps or driveways at an angle, only. I have greased and tightened everything I could. After reading everything I have on the Team Shelby site, it is the bushings, and I realize it is very common with our racing suspension. It bothers me too, but I just try to tune it out.

Nick

My front and rear suspension both make noise when I go over speed bumps or driveways at an angle, only. I have greased and tightened everything I could. After reading everything I have on the Team Shelby site, it is the bushings, and I realize it is very common with our racing suspension. It bothers me too, but I just try to tune it out.

Nick

Did you try any lube like WD-40 on the rear sway bar bushings? Is the culprit making this noise the sway bar bushing or possibly the shocks?

Thanks Nick.

Did you try any lube like WD-40 on the rear sway bar bushings? Is the culprit making this noise the sway bar bushing or possibly the shocks?

Thanks Nick.

Don't use WD40 on any of the bushings.

Your car is equipped with the FRPP handling pack. Poly bushings make noise where rubber ones don't. It's the price you pay for better handling.

Turn the stereo up at the next bump. :shift:

Don't use WD40 on any of the bushings.

Your car is equipped with the FRPP handling pack. Poly bushings make noise where rubber ones don't. It's the price you pay for better handling.

Turn the stereo up at the next bump. :shift:

My thoughts exactly.

And if you don't have a stereo, replace the mufflers.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone noticed any strange noises from the rear, under-side of your SGT over road bumps? I'm hearing some major squeak-type noise that appears to be some type of rubber or urethane bushing? It is rather annoying after a while. I was wondering if this would have anything to do with the rear sway bar bushings or perhaps the shock bushings?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

my SGT has rear suspension noise too, sounds like a bushing sound over bumps, I took the mufflers off and replaced them with straight pipes (muffler delete from Pipes Performance) I only hear it on BIG bumps now. Everyone says the same thing, its the racing suspension

Its worse when its cold outside though

The responses were interesting to read. The fact remains that the rear sway bar squeaks - and shouldn't. Here is what is really funny. The rear sway bar has grease zerts at each bushing, located on the bracket that covers the bushing. If you grease the bushing at the zert, the grease only flows around the bracket and bushing and never touches the sway bar where the squeak is originating. There needs to be a small hole drilled through the bushing, where the grease zert is fitted so the grease can flow down to the sway bar where the squeak originates. I've owned two Mustangs that I installed poly-bushings on and none of them squeaked. None of my friends cars, Ford or otherwise, have sway bar squeak. This is a design flaw . They should not squeak.

Now, if you're racing at the track, and squeaks are not a concern, then there would be no issue with these noisy bushings.

As I recall in the Shelby manual, this condition is normal with a racing suspension, Jeffisheretoo can most likely chime in and verfiy that.

I have a vert and noticed it more with the top down on bumps, I don't necessarily believe this is quote normal, but that is was the book states.

GG

As I recall in the Shelby manual, this condition is normal with a racing suspension, Jeffisheretoo can most likely chime in and verfiy that.

I have a vert and noticed it more with the top down on bumps, I don't necessarily believe this is quote normal, but that is was the book states.

GG

Thanks tapd, I saw that before from someone.

Some squeaking, a little squeaking - yes. Loud squeaking to the point that my wife says"what's that noise?" - no. Poly bushings reduce the flex of the sway bars, they are much stiffer than rubber bushings. All done to improve handling. If they squeak, it is friction and they need lubed. I'll let you know how it comes out when I get my car back some day!

WRT WD-40, it's a water-displacer, not a lubricant. It does lubricate (so does water), but that fades quickly.

H&N's rear sway bar bushings are made of some kind of dual-material rubber-like compound that doesn't squeak. It's silicon-permeated, if I recall correctly. Been quiet for thousands of miles with no lubrication whatsoever.

I put an aftermarket rear bar on my V6 convertible. It was anodized a gold color. I wanted it dark so it didn't show up so much under the dark car. I painted it black. After about a mile of driving, it squeaked so loudly I couldn't stand it. Lubricated with silcone spray, it was quiet for another mile or two. I removed the paint from the bushing areas and it was silent from then on.

My theory was that the paint surface complained when placed in shear. I would eliminate that nice blue paint on my "competition" sway bars and see if that quieted them down. Bet it would.

WRT WD-40, it's a water-displacer, not a lubricant. It does lubricate (so does water), but that fades quickly.

H&N's rear sway bar bushings are made of some kind of dual-material rubber-like compound that doesn't squeak. It's silicon-permeated, if I recall correctly. Been quiet for thousands of miles with no lubrication whatsoever.

I put an aftermarket rear bar on my V6 convertible. It was anodized a gold color. I wanted it dark so it didn't show up so much under the dark car. I painted it black. After about a mile of driving, it squeaked so loudly I couldn't stand it. Lubricated with silcone spray, it was quiet for another mile or two. I removed the paint from the bushing areas and it was silent from then on.

My theory was that the paint surface complained when placed in shear. I would eliminate that nice blue paint on my "competition" sway bars and see if that quieted them down. Bet it would.

I'm going to use some Harley front end grease. It doesn't wash away like the regular grease. I don't know what it's made of, but Harley is pretty proud of it judging by the price they charge for a tube.

Also, WD-40 is made mostly from fish oil. I use it for everything, from cleaning tar off the car to lubing the garage springs.

The responses were interesting to read. The fact remains that the rear sway bar squeaks - and shouldn't. Here is what is really funny. The rear sway bar has grease zerts at each bushing, located on the bracket that covers the bushing. If you grease the bushing at the zert, the grease only flows around the bracket and bushing and never touches the sway bar where the squeak is originating. There needs to be a small hole drilled through the bushing, where the grease zert is fitted so the grease can flow down to the sway bar where the squeak originates. I've owned two Mustangs that I installed poly-bushings on and none of them squeaked. None of my friends cars, Ford or otherwise, have sway bar squeak. This is a design flaw . They should not squeak.

Now, if you're racing at the track, and squeaks are not a concern, then there would be no issue with these noisy bushings.

If you look at any quality street suspension with poly bushings, and all race suspension they give you

an NVH warning (Noise-Vibration-Harshness), sometimes they even give you a rating on how bad it's

going to be..........but if you find something that works, im all over it good luck!

• 1 month later...

I just got back from my first real road trip to the Dallas Cowboys/Eagles Game this past Saturday in my Shelby and my son was driving back and I was in the rear seat. This is the first time I had actually had an opportunity to hear the rear suspension squeaks etc. I have completed reading all the posts on this thread including my own comment, this is considered normal in the Shelby Handbook.

My question for other 2008 SGT convertable owners, has anyone actually solved this problem or know if FORD has a TSB on this or Shelby has a suggested fix and what type of lube it is you are using?

It was just a little annoying and my son and wife had told me when they were in the back seat they had squeaks and rattle issues and I blew it off.

Anyone have a fix they want to share? headscratch.gif

GG

^Do you notice the squeaking only when the back seat is loaded with people? Do you only hear it from the back seat or can you hear it while driving as well?

There was some noise during the early winter with the top down before it got really cold, this was intermittent and no one was in the rear seat.

GG

I just got back from my first real road trip to the Dallas Cowboys/Eagles Game this past Saturday in my Shelby and my son was driving back and I was in the rear seat. This is the first time I had actually had an opportunity to hear the rear suspension squeaks etc. I have completed reading all the posts on this thread including my own comment, this is considered normal in the Shelby Handbook.

My question for other 2008 SGT convertable owners, has anyone actually solved this problem or know if FORD has a TSB on this or Shelby has a suggested fix and what type of lube it is you are using?

It was just a little annoying and my son and wife had told me when they were in the back seat they had squeaks and rattle issues and I blew it off.

GG

:happy feet: I was at the game too !! I go to all of them ;)

I have the squeaky issue too :(

My neighbor owns an 07 SGT and was talking recently about his suspension making more noise lately and all that came to mind was the colder weather.......

I used to own a 98 Saleen S-281 and when i installed Saleen LCAs with the eurathane bushings the suspension made more noise in the colder weather....

Laurence

GG

Here is the fix as I posted a while back.

The responses were interesting to read. The fact remains that the rear sway bar squeaks - and shouldn't. Here is what is really funny. The rear sway bar has grease zerts at each bushing, located on the bracket that covers the bushing. If you grease the bushing at the zert, the grease only flows around the bracket and outer bushing and never touches the sway bar where the squeak is originating. There needs to be a small hole drilled through the bushing, where the grease zert is fitted so the grease can flow down to the sway bar where the squeak originates. I've owned two Mustangs that I installed poly-bushings on and none of them squeaked. None of my friends cars, Ford or otherwise, have sway bar squeak. This is a design flaw . They should not squeak.

Here is the fix as I posted a while back.

The responses were interesting to read. The fact remains that the rear sway bar squeaks - and shouldn't. Here is what is really funny. The rear sway bar has grease zerts at each bushing, located on the bracket that covers the bushing. If you grease the bushing at the zert, the grease only flows around the bracket and outer bushing and never touches the sway bar where the squeak is originating. There needs to be a small hole drilled through the bushing, where the grease zert is fitted so the grease can flow down to the sway bar where the squeak originates. I've owned two Mustangs that I installed poly-bushings on and none of them squeaked. None of my friends cars, Ford or otherwise, have sway bar squeak. This is a design flaw . They should not squeak.

Well I think I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it and mention this, I was wondering about trying some graphite on the bushings, I agree it shouldn't do that. Maybe SAI BUD will chime in with a suggestion also.......

mail.gif Glenn

The squeak is inherent to the Poly Bushings...the Manual states that it is NORMAL...Ford or SAI is not going to do anything about it under warranty...If it really bothers you that much, do what the gentleman suggested and drill some holes in your bushings so that the grease will get to the bar in the center of the bushing. I hear mine squeak when I pull into and out of driveways and the weather is cold...no big deal, I know what it is, so I don't worry about it...I don't know why it upsets everyone so much to hear a little squeak...these cars are NOT luxury automobiles or high priced exotics!

Archived