TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brembo Brake install

Just landed a set of take off Brembo brakes, rotors and backing plates for my SGT! Now I need to know if there is anything special that needs to be done in order to install them...I'm assuming that it's pretty straight forward, remove old caliper, install new caliper, hook up brake line to new caliper and then bleed the brakes...main question is brake bleeding procedure...since I'm only doing front brakes, do I still need to start at the right rear and then left rear, then right front then left front??? Any thing else to look out for? Parts are being shipped on Monday, can't wait to get them in my hands and on the car! Woo Hoo!!!

Now I have to go buy the grand daughter a new car seat....part of the deal with the little lady to get the brakes! LOL

Thanks in advance for any tips on this install...

Just landed a set of take off Brembo brakes, rotors and backing plates for my SGT! Now I need to know if there is anything special that needs to be done in order to install them...I'm assuming that it's pretty straight forward, remove old caliper, install new caliper, hook up brake line to new caliper and then bleed the brakes...main question is brake bleeding procedure...since I'm only doing front brakes, do I still need to start at the right rear and then left rear, then right front then left front??? Any thing else to look out for? Parts are being shipped on Monday, can't wait to get them in my hands and on the car! Woo Hoo!!!

Now I have to go buy the grand daughter a new car seat....part of the deal with the little lady to get the brakes! LOL

Here is a thread from my install in case you missed it. Link

I only bled the front brakes. I left the old calipers connected and out of the way. When I had the new calipers installed and ready, I quickly swapped lines to keep as much air out of the system as possible. My pedal is as firm, maybe even a bit firmer, than before the swap. Also, don't for get to pickup some brake fluid. I bought a bottle from my dealer.

Here is a thread from my install in case you missed it. Link

I only bled the front brakes. I left the old calipers connected and out of the way. When I had the new calipers installed and ready, I quickly swapped lines to keep as much air out of the system as possible. My pedal is as firm, maybe even a bit firmer, than before the swap. Also, don't for get to pickup some brake fluid. I bought a bottle from my dealer.

Thanks, I found your link to the install instructions after I had posted this, so I saved it so I can print it out and have it there with me to go by when I do the install...

One other question now...I'm thinking about the speed bleeders and I have heard that the Brembos have two bleeders per caliper...so I'm guessing I will need a total of six for the SGT but are the standard ones for the Mustang the ones that will fit the Brembos too??? Anyone have part numbers that might have done this??? Front Brembos and stock Mustang GT rears...

Thanks, I found your link to the install instructions after I had posted this, so I saved it so I can print it out and have it there with me to go by when I do the install...

One other question now...I'm thinking about the speed bleeders and I have heard that the Brembos have two bleeders per caliper...so I'm guessing I will need a total of six for the SGT but are the standard ones for the Mustang the ones that will fit the Brembos too??? Anyone have part numbers that might have done this??? Front Brembos and stock Mustang GT rears...

Looked all over for the part # for the Brembo bleeders and never did find it when I installed mine. Ordered a set for the stock brakes but never did use them (Russell pt#639560) same part for front and rear. I also installed the SS lines at the same time and lost quite a bit of fluid in the process but as long as you don't let the fluid level get to low in the reservoir it's not a problem and bleeding the old fashioned way was quick and easy with the help of a friend.

If you haven't already, take this opportunity to install SS brake lines and high quality fluid. I prefer Goodridge lines and AP Racing 600 fluid.

Since you have the brake system apart and have to bleed it anyway, it's not that much more to upgrade the lines and you will be getting the most performance out of the Brembos (well, besides changing the [ads for better ones).

Bleed the front calipers inside-out, then tap the calipers with a rubber mallet a couple times and "burp" the inside, then outside again. This is to help get any air bubbles trapped inside the calipers to come out.

Dan

Bleed the front calipers inside-out, then tap the calipers with a rubber mallet a couple times and "burp" the inside, then outside again. This is to help get any air bubbles trapped inside the calipers to come out.

Dan

Dan - Thanks for this, but like that line in Wedding Singer, "That's some information I could have used YESTERDAY!!!!" :)

Seriously, though when I put on my Brembo's for the life of me I couldn't get the peddle to firm up enough.... This seems to make all the sense in the world and I suspected the "burp" may have been necessary...

I think this is a helpful procedure and thanks for the insight....

Dan - Thanks for this, but like that line in Wedding Singer, "That's some information I could have used YESTERDAY!!!!" :)

Seriously, though when I put on my Brembo's for the life of me I couldn't get the peddle to firm up enough.... This seems to make all the sense in the world and I suspected the "burp" may have been necessary...

I think this is a helpful procedure and thanks for the insight....

I installed Brembo's last month. No worries with the install, bleed just like any other. I used the existing brake lines...

OK, here is a question for anyone who has installed the Brembo front calipers and used the Goodridge Stainless Steel lines...

I noticed that the original brake lines on the Brembos seem to curve under the caliper, but it looks like the Goodridge line is in a bind when I put it in that same location...it seems to lay better rotating the line 180 degrees to where it is on the top side of the inlet instead of the bottom side...The FORD install instructions only show one picture and it looks like they have it rotated about 90 degrees pointing almost toward the axle instead...

How did you guys route your Goodridge hoses on the front Brembos??? Pics??? I'm hoping to tackle this in the morning Friday...

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Well, I got the Brembos installed today...went on without any problems at all along with the Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines...Only issue I encountered was trying to use a MityMax pump to try and bleed the brakes by myslef...I pumped forever and kept seeing bubbles....finally my brother came over and helped me with the brake bleeing and it was done...Took the car out for a spin and I must admit that I am impressed with the stopping power of these brakes...I'll try to get a couple of pics up later, camera is acting up on me...

Thanks all for your assistance and answering my silly questions...the Ford Racing Install pdf is very informative when making this swap...

Glad you got them on and are happy Carl. B) wish they would have cleared my wheels.

Couldn't be happier right now....unless my back would quit hurting! LOL Thanks again, it was a pleasure doing business with you! My wife did ask me if these would help when I'm able to get the supercharger...Yes, dear, they most certainly will!

Archived