TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm amazed by these cars.....

thewheelman

We're in Panama City Beach where the "Indian Summer" heat index is approaching 100. It's been in the high 80's and the humidity is murder. We just cruised up to Destin, averaging about 20 mph, idling along in traffic, stopping along the beach to oohh and aahh--and leaving the motor running (we couldn't do without the a/c), lots of idle speed driving......nary a hiccup! Never went above the normal range on the temp. Never hesitates, never complains.....what a car!

A bonus! Today I met a Ford GT in one of the fancier condo communities....first one I've seen in real life....in the orange & blue Gulf colors!

Heading back to KY in the morning!

I am also impressed by these new computer controlled cars. They're definitely light years ahead of the older ones. They run smoother, are very reliable, better gas mileage, more power, air conditioning, kickin' stereo and great styling!! :happy feet:

Without a doubt!!! Wife and I drove to Dallas last Monday for the Cowboys game, I got 20.9 MPG. I thought I would be lucky to see 18 MPG. Next we are going to College Station Sat for the A&M-Ok. State game!! Looking forward to the drive and the good gas mileage.

I am also impressed by these new computer controlled cars. They're definitely light years ahead of the older ones. They run smoother, are very reliable, better gas mileage, more power, air conditioning, kickin' stereo and great styling!! :happy feet:

The 1967 GT500 was just as reliable, probably more. 1967 GT500 looks are better, had AC as an option and you didn't have to pay GG tax. 1967 engine sounded better. I would have to say they both are both great cars and owning/driving both would be more fun than just owning one or the other .

The 1967 GT500 was just as reliable, probably more. 1967 GT500 looks are better, had AC as an option and you didn't have to pay GG tax. 1967 engine sounded better. I would have to say they both are both great cars and owning/driving both would be more fun than just owning one or the other .

The 1967 GT500 can't compare in the performance area. I had a 1970 GT500 and you could not drive it in 100 degree weather @ 20 mph without it over heating. The whole car was a bucket of bolts and rattles . No thank you i would take a 07-10 GT500 over a old GT500 any day, except for price.

The 1967 GT500 was just as reliable, probably more.

The passage of time may be clouding your judgement.

A 1967 GT500 would need constant maintenance & repairs. Like almost any car of the time it would start falling out of tune after the very first mile. Points need adjusting, carb needs adjusting, timing needs adjusting, etc.

Don't forget cars of that era would wear out ball joints, shocks, tires, etc in just a few years of driving. It was not uncommon for internal engine work to be needed at only 50k miles.

Also cars of that era were usually pretty worn out overall and not reliable at 100k miles.

I love cars from the 60's but in no way were they close to todays cars. Heck a 1967 Mustang wasn't close to a 1987 Mustang in terms of reliability.

Just my two.

Steve

Without a doubt!!! Wife and I drove to Dallas last Monday for the Cowboys game, I got 20.9 MPG. I thought I would be lucky to see 18 MPG. Next we are going to College Station Sat for the A&M-Ok. State game!! Looking forward to the drive and the good gas mileage.

Did you leave your car in the parking lot of a football stadium? Yikes! :cry:

Did you leave your car in the parking lot of a football stadium? Yikes! :cry:

LOL!!! Hell no, I'm crazy not stupid. :hysterical: We left it at the hotel and took a cab. Cowboys Stadium is awsome!! Looks like we may not be driving it to College Station on Sat. due to weather. Will take wife's Jeep.

The passage of time may be clouding your judgement.

A 1967 GT500 would need constant maintenance & repairs. Like almost any car of the time it would start falling out of tune after the very first mile. Points need adjusting, carb needs adjusting, timing needs adjusting, etc.

Don't forget cars of that era would wear out ball joints, shocks, tires, etc in just a few years of driving. It was not uncommon for internal engine work to be needed at only 50k miles.

Also cars of that era were usually pretty worn out overall and not reliable at 100k miles.

I love cars from the 60's but in no way were they close to todays cars. Heck a 1967 Mustang wasn't close to a 1987 Mustang in terms of reliability.

Just my two.

Steve

No doubt the new GT500 has a great engine and better suspension than the old ones. I do think the 67-68 GT500's is the very best looking "Shelby Mustang" ever made.

I think you are correct about time clouding my judgemnt, I tend to remember girls I dated the same way as cars, they were perfect, ha, ha.

Blayne

No doubt the new GT500 has a great engine and better suspension than the old ones. I do think the 67-68 GT500's is the very best looking "Shelby Mustang" ever made.

I think you are correct about time clouding my judgemnt, I tend to remember girls I dated the same way as cars, they were perfect, ha, ha.

Blayne

Blayne, you and me both brother.

I'm pretty sure most of us would be quite disappointed if we were able to go back in time and revist some of our old cars and girls.

Steve

PS- Yup a 1967 GT500 fastback or a 1968 GT500KR convertible are at the top of my list.

Archived