TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fair Market Value....

Shelby2809

This ebay listing just makes me shake my head... so much so, I had to pass this on for others to see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

They say fair market value is $40,000 (I wish) and they will give the money OVER fair market value to the charity. The bidding will never go past $32,000. Are they hoping for misinformed buyers? :finger::banghead: :jackinbox:

This ebay listing just makes me shake my head... so much so, I had to pass this on for others to see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

They say fair market value is $40,000 (I wish) and they will give the money OVER fair market value to the charity. The bidding will never go past $32,000. Are they hoping for misinformed buyers? :finger::banghead: :jackinbox:

Sounds like an old used car salesman trick to me :drool: Where are the front fog lights in the description?

All SGT's came with 3.55's.

Is it just me or does the autograph look goofy (i.e. not authentic)?

I agree.

The signature appears to be really spread out and the letter "a" does start within the letter "C" as in my autograph. Most of them I have seen share this same charactoristic. I want to see his authentication card.

Don't know about you guys, but I always start my signature the same way even though it does not look the same everytime.

Here is my dash with CS's sig.

AirbagCover007.jpg

:happy feet: Actually the Ebay seller is pretty smart in testing the market at $40,000. I just spent the last two weekends at three Ford dealers and couldn't help but notice the prices on the new 2010 Mustangs. A 2010 Mustang GT with leather seats and just a few options is priced at nearly $40,000. One dealer had a loaded V-6 Mustang that priced out at $37,000. So if you compare what you get with a new/like new 2007/2008 Shelby GT to what you get with the 2010 Mustang then maybe a $40,000 price tag isn't so outrageous after all. Personally I think it's good when a seller tests the market with a high price. Unsuspecting buyer maybe, but also maybe a well informed buyer. :shift:

:happy feet: Actually the Ebay seller is pretty smart in testing the market at $40,000. I just spent the last two weekends at three Ford dealers and couldn't help but notice the prices on the new 2010 Mustangs. A 2010 Mustang GT with leather seats and just a few options is priced at nearly $40,000. One dealer had a loaded V-6 Mustang that priced out at $37,000. So if you compare what you get with a new/like new 2007/2008 Shelby GT to what you get with the 2010 Mustang then maybe a $40,000 price tag isn't so outrageous after all. Personally I think it's good when a seller tests the market with a high price. Unsuspecting buyer maybe, but also maybe a well informed buyer. :shift:

Smart or Greedy? To me this is more greedy, how would you feel if you were taken in by a misinformed saleman job... better yet, how would you feel if your wife saw this before you picked up your Shelby... thinking she's doing something so good for you and paying $40,000. No one likes to be taken advantage of and personally I hate this type of crap.

I have a black SGT automatic with an IUP and an autograph that I donated for. How could a seller list it as a manual when it is obviously an auto? I thought the IUP included the aluminum dash like mine which moves the signed air bag to the lower half:headscratch:

All SGTs have the same gears, 3:55s.

As for the signautre, it dosen't match mine or other legitamate ones I have seen.

It's pretty sad when a "dealer" doesn't even know the basics of the car they are selling. Imagine what thier warranty work must be like.

40K? Like P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute" :nonono:

I'm prob not the only one, but I emailed him about the listing... here's his response:

"Thanks for your comment. The 40k has to do so that the buyer knows the purchase isn't tax deductible (cost of goods and services recieved). They charity is getting 100% of the sale amount no matter the final bid. (i know the listing is confusing)

thanks for your interest.

- wapegwa"

"100% of the proceeds over the Fair Market Value will go to support the mission"

Here's my problem with this. When it does sell for 28-$32k will he then say, well fair market value was established by the market at the price it sold for, so there is now no donation to support the mission....Just a thought....

I'd be leary.... :headscratch:

If the reserve is any lower than $40k, then my opinion is that he's intentionally being deceitful.

If he honestly believes the fair market value to be $40k, then why on earth would he sell for any less, especially when considering the charity proceeds?

I'll be watching the auction to see how it ends up. For all of our sake, I hope he sells it for $50k!

Ken

Smart or Greedy? To me this is more greedy, how would you feel if you were taken in by a misinformed saleman job... better yet, how would you feel if your wife saw this before you picked up your Shelby... thinking she's doing something so good for you and paying $40,000. No one likes to be taken advantage of and personally I hate this type of crap.

I believe smart and greedy can mean the same when dealing in market prices. Everyone should do their own homework when purchasing anything, much less high end items like cars and houses. How many Shelby owners, both SGT and GT-500 paid above the sticker price for their car? Same is true with the new Challengers and Camaros. The "I've got to have one now" thought is what creates the market, which is of course "greedy" on the part of the seller. If this Ebay seller gets the $40,000 we can call him/her greedy, but if that creates an upswing in the value of my car, I say great. I waited a full anxious year to get my new 2007 SGT, even while I went to car shows and drooled at the guys that already had their SGTs, many paid $5000-10,000 above sticker. But I agonized and waited until the market was right. So in April 2008 I made a $36,000 "out-the-door" offer for my brand new SGT ($32,600 sell price). The original sticker was $41,200. The Ford dealer took the offer and I feel really good about the price I paid. Anyway, in a supply and demand driven market there will be greed, frustration, impatience, and pure joy, and where we fit in all depends on if we are the buyer or the seller. I've been on both ends so I can identify with the joy and the frustration. :shift:

I believe smart and greedy can mean the same when dealing in market prices. Everyone should do their own homework when purchasing anything, much less high end items like cars and houses. How many Shelby owners, both SGT and GT-500 paid above the sticker price for their car? Same is true with the new Challengers and Camaros. The "I've got to have one now" thought is what creates the market, which is of course "greedy" on the part of the seller. If this Ebay seller gets the $40,000 we can call him/her greedy, but if that creates an upswing in the value of my car, I say great. I waited a full anxious year to get my new 2007 SGT, even while I went to car shows and drooled at the guys that already had their SGTs, many paid $5000-10,000 above sticker. But I agonized and waited until the market was right. So in April 2008 I made a $36,000 "out-the-door" offer for my brand new SGT ($32,600 sell price). The original sticker was $41,200. The Ford dealer took the offer and I feel really good about the price I paid. Anyway, in a supply and demand driven market there will be greed, frustration, impatience, and pure joy, and where we fit in all depends on if we are the buyer or the seller. I've been on both ends so I can identify with the joy and the frustration. :shift:

I don't care if he is asking $100,000 and I too hope he gets more than it's worth. My only problem is when the word "charity" is attached it needs to be on the up and up. JMO

I believe the manuals arrived with the 3:55 gears installed but the automatics had 3:31 gears and then they replaced them with 3:55's. I think on the automatics in order to save time and make the process easier they replaced the whole rear end with one containing the 3:55's then switched out the gears on the removed rear end to be placed on another car. It was easier to switch out the gears while the rear end was on a bench.

The whole rear end is replaced at SAI with 3.55 gear set. As for the price they are asking, the saying is "theres a butt for every seat." They might find a buyer that is uneducated about car values and just have to have a Shelby. A customer of mine thought my SGT was the one Barrett Jackson sold for $600,000 to Ron Pratt. Then I explained to him that it wasnt the same car. Its funny how the general public sees cars.

I believe the manuals arrived with the 3:55 gears installed but the automatics had 3:31 gears and then they replaced them with 3:55's. I think on the automatics in order to save time and make the process easier they replaced the whole rear end with one containing the 3:55's then switched out the gears on the removed rear end to be placed on another car. It was easier to switch out the gears while the rear end was on a bench.

I think you're right. I know for sure all SGT have the same ratio when delivered from SAI. Check out the SGT build article in the Shelby Annual. It was the one I received when I joined TS in Feb 2008.

I agree.

The signature appears to be really spread out and the letter "a" does start within the letter "C" as in my autograph. Most of them I have seen share this same charactoristic. I want to see his authentication card.

Don't know about you guys, but I always start my signature the same way even though it does not look the same everytime.

Here is my dash with CS's sig.

AirbagCover007.jpg

I just looked at mine as well... way off, spacing, the C going into the A...

post-20282-1255130113_thumb.jpg

post-20282-1255130113_thumb.jpg

It looks like the market (at least on Ebay) was established, $25,688. So far the seller has not re-listed the car suggesting a sale outside of Ebay was perhaps the ultimate goal. Sellers frequently use Ebay as a form of advertising with little intent of actually selling it and having to pay Ebay's "final value fee". Good post Shelby 2809. :happy feet:

Archived