TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford let the consumer down again!

Wes K

I was going to change my oil on my KR and found BRAKE fluid leaking all over the ABS hydraulic control unit! After some simple investigation I had found that a lot of my PAINT HAD BEN EATEN!!!

I took the car to the dealer and they said this is very common and that they see it weekly? The prob was a split/broken brake line where it meets the ABS HCU at the front drivers side of the engine compartment. They told me that the prob is so frequent that parts were on back order and actually had to wait up to 2 weeks to get the part!!!

Anyways it ruined all the paint in the engine comp. k member, etc. Also hit my front carbon fiber spoiler and turned it all white. I talked to customer service and asked for a buy back for a new KR and they pure and simple said no way we will only paint it and it will go on my service record this way and that would mean I lose major money on this car as an original if I ever want to sell it!

I can say this, as for the 2011 GT500 I wont be buying as mentioned earlier and we just called the dealer and told them to keep our 2010 we did just buy! They asked why and I told them and they said they understood and would do the same thing. Ford customer service said I would get a call within 2 biz days from a super to tell me the same thing they just told me and that there is no one else to talk to about the subject??? Just thought I'd let everyone know about this in case you too have the same prob.

I think Ford needs to do a RECALL on this ABS system so the rest of you (and me too cuz I still have a few of these cars) dont get there paint eaten up and our cars devalued because of new paint!!! This is not just the KR its 2005+ mustangs in general!!! I wonder if anyone has had an accident due to this or even worse?

I have pics and will post, they are at the shop right now... I do have an ex ford dealer mechanic that works for me now and was at my local dealership (tamiami ford in naples, fl.) for over 26 years. He said since the launch of the 05+ S197 mustang that he himself has logged well over 50 of these same repairs and he knew exactly what mine was with just hearing me say S**t the ABS is leaking... He said I'll bet ya $10 its a torn flare at the end of the metal brake line going into the ABS HCU. Sure enough. I asked them about this today and they just said their is no TSB and they even tried to deny that the 07+ shelby gt500 had a clutch TSB lol! Ours was the very 1st one done in the country and started the TSB. I had to get Bill W involved and he flew down to Fl personaly for ford to fix my wifes clutch and gave us a brand new trans. for the 3rd time!!! at that point I think lemon law should've applied. However now Bill and I are great friends! As for Ford they dont care what we buy once purchased, they will try to get out of anything they can. We all have over priced shelbys for the most part but some of us really LOVE these cars and have a few too many lol. I have 6 mustangs in total, 2 kr's 2 gt500 1 06 mustang gt and 1 68 eleanor recreation. not counting the 68 I have $465,000.00 (cost) in my 5 new S197's and Ford tells me too bad!!!! I say too bad to ford and shame on them for not handling this better. I will not buy another one on principle alone. at least not a new one from Ford. So Ford has lost my average of 2 car purchases a year on the high end cars and various other cars as well. But with the economy the way it is today I'm sure my half a mill. the last 3 years isnt any thing to Ford and I'm sure they dont need mine or your future business either. Any how I'm very upset to say the least about this. Thanx for letting me vent! BTW does anyone want a triple black KR? I'll sell her for a great price. All she needs is some paint and keep chasing brake fluid down for the next year or so only $80,000.00 ROFLMAO!!!! But its not like they didnt make this a rare car right, they made a huge amount avail. to the usa, 1000 if I'm correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and did I mention this WILL show up on car fax but no biggie its just paint the car was never wrecked! S**t AND !@#$%^&*(&^%$#$%^&*()_ F**k

Yea I'm a bit hot right now and have been for a few days! I have fixed the resorvoir leaks on all mine so far. I dont want it to show up on car fax! This is the biggest complaint I have! I can handle some new paint but the value hit I will take is just too much to handle!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wes you indicated that the cause is tear in the flared fitting , so if this is the case when the tubing was originally flared ( probably done on a machine that mass produces & bends the tubing) It must stretch the tubing to a point it is weak & fluid pressure is bursting the line at the connection??????? If this is the case there should be a recall & the fix should be a double flare end.

Same here...no leaks. let's keep it that way. Thanks for the info man.

Happy Motoring :shift:

Wes you indicated that the cause is tear in the flared fitting , so if this is the case when the tubing was originally flared ( probably done on a machine that mass produces & bends the tubing) It must stretch the tubing to a point it is weak & fluid pressure is bursting the line at the connection??????? If this is the case there should be a recall & the fix should be a double flare end.

My understanding is, that by LAW all brake lines must be double-flared, and steel. Now I'm not sure, but I *think* brake lines are seamed (vs. seamless). THAT is where the problem would lie.

I've built many many brake lines in my day with each and every one being a double-flare. Which by the way, in itself "stretches" the tubing considerably more than a single flare fitting. Maybe it's just a myth but I was always led to believe that DOT mandates double-flare fittings on any vehicle drivin on a public road.

In fact, I had to pay a pretty penney for my Snap-on double-flare tool kit, just so I could make double-flare ends for brake lines. As a professional Tech, I sure don't want some guy/gal going out there with a brake line I made, killing themselves or someone else. And the lawsuit that would follow isn't a great thought either! (and possibly criminal litigation too).

I also know that ALL pre-made brake lines I've used have double-flared ends on them too so I'd be *real* surprised if factory brake lines were not double-flared.

Which as I said, is probably where the problem lies. When you double flare a line, you "expand" the end to look like a bulb before you fold the end over into itself for the final flare. With a SEAM (seEm?) in the line, it creates a weak spot and I have seen flares split at the fold, back to the fitting along what appears to be a seem.

Shoot...now ya got my mind going and I'm gonna have to go find a new brake line to see if there's a seam in it or not!

NAPA, here I come....

Phill

• 4 months later...

Archived