TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Really? "Last 2 Functional Ram Air Hoods available from Shelby"

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area. But I just find this hard to believe. Saw this add on e-bay today. Ref SuperSnake hoods, it says "these are the last 2 Functional Ram Air Hoods available from Shelby. The new Supersnake Hoods that Shelby have available do not come with the functional Ram Air Hood."

Please see this e-bay post.

Can anyone confirm this? Really? :headscratch: The last 2 functional hoods AND the next ones are not functional?

E-bay Item # 230356163268

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area. But I just find this hard to believe. Saw this add on e-bay today. Ref SuperSnake hoods, it says "these are the last 2 Functional Ram Air Hoods available from Shelby. The new Supersnake Hoods that Shelby have available do not come with the functional Ram Air Hood."

Can anyone confirm this? Really? :headscratch: The last 2 functional hoods AND the next ones are not functional?

no that guy has 2 left in stock....

A fellow club member has been inquiring about the Super Snake hood for his GT500 lately and recently fowarded me an email that he received from Shelby directly that showed the previous version, which the customer was responsible for cutting the ram air area under the hood, next to the newest version they are designing, which appeared to me they are getting rid of it completely....so whether these are the very last 2, who knows, but according to the email I was forwarded last week, anything is possible..

Me personally, I'll be getting the Trufiber Venom Hood again. I had it on my Superchagered GT and it was awesome. It has true ram air and built in heat extractors. For those interested, here's a few pics of my last car with the hood.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

undersideofhood2.jpg

I think the seller may be mistaken a bit. We are STILL producing the GT500 SS hoods that will fit the 07's-09's. This still has the ram air affect--as long as you cut the holes out about the air intake.

Now, on the 2010's, it is a bit different. It actuall does NOT need the holes cut into the hood for the air induction. The way that the 2010's are set up, it already has an air intake that comes through the grille and is directed right into the side of the airbox. That is why the grille snake has been moved to the passenger side. The hoods I have seen do not need to be cut or drilled to have the air directed to the air box. If you want to cut openings under the hood, you can, but it is not necessary to do so.

Hopefully this helps :)

inlet1.jpg

inlet2.jpg

inlet3.jpg

Bud

bud I think you need to ck with shelby partS so i can get the corect story.I BOUGHT 1 LAST MONTH THAY SAID THAY ARE NOT MAKING THE SS HOODS WITH AIR INDUCTION ANY MORE.MY HOOD ARIVED WITH NO MANIFOLD AT ALL AND NO INNER LINER;AFTER WATING FOR MONTHSTHAY REDUCED THE PRICE BUTWHAT I REALY WHANTED WAS THE CORECT HOOD????????????? :banghead:

bud I think you need to ck with shelby partS so i can get the corect story.I BOUGHT 1 LAST MONTH THAY SAID THAY ARE NOT MAKING THE SS HOODS WITH AIR INDUCTION ANY MORE.MY HOOD ARIVED WITH NO MANIFOLD AT ALL AND NO INNER LINER;AFTER WATING FOR MONTHSTHAY REDUCED THE PRICE BUTWHAT I REALY WHANTED WAS THE CORECT HOOD????????????? :banghead:

We are still making the SS hood for the 07's-09's. If you decide not to cut out the holes for the air induction, then you won't have air induction. If you cut them out, then you do. As far as I know, we have not stopped production of this hood at all. We still keep getting them in and will still do so until we are notified differently. And as far as I know, we still need the hoods :)

And there is no inner linner for the SS hood. Some people have painted the under side black to make it look like there is one there, but trust me, there is not.

Now, the hoods we use and SPP sells, they do not have the holes cut into them This is a hood that the holes were just done. It is up to the customer who purchases the hood to either cut them out or not. Hopefully this helps.

Bud

p1010225.jpg

p1010226.jpg

We are still making the SS hood for the 07's-09's. If you decide not to cut out the holes for the air induction, then you won't have air induction. If you cut them out, then you do. As far as I know, we have not stopped production of this hood at all. We still keep getting them in and will still do so until we are notified differently. And as far as I know, we still need the hoods :)

And there is no inner linner for the SS hood. Some people have painted the under side black to make it look like there is one there, but trust me, there is not.

Now, the hoods we use and SPP sells, they do not have the holes cut into them This is a hood that the holes were just done. It is up to the customer who purchases the hood to either cut them out or not. Hopefully this helps.

Bud

p1010225.jpg

p1010226.jpg

The hood you describe and have pictured was described as the "old version" that was being replaced in the email that I was referring to in my earlier post. The hood described as the "new version" completely did away with the area that you show with the cut outs. I checked to see if I still had the email with the pictures...I still have the email, because I replied to it, but the pictures were deleted upon sending it. The email I am talking about came from a Brian Turner on Wednesday 30-Sept @ 7:19pm.

BUD YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING I HAVE GOT A SS HOOD WITH NO, NONE, NO, NOT ANY MANIFOLD IN THE HOOD TO DRILL ANY HOLES INTO NOT THERE. PARTS TOLD ME THEY DO NOT MAKE FUNCTIONAL HOODS ANY MORE. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :

Bud,

I promise I am not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but the email below describes what Force 1 is talking about...I'm just sorry I don't have the pictures to show the "new version" being described that completely did away with the area that you drill to bring in fresh air.

-Cameron

Force 1, any way you can take a picture of the underside of yours and post it so Bud can see what you (and I) are trying to describe?

email that was forwarded to me by a club member

Please view the photos in the word file attachment in this email. Shelby Automobile’s has decided to change the underside of the Super Snake hood to this new version. This change is out of our control due to the fact Shelby Auto’s is the supplier where we purchase them from.

When we get inventory in, this will be the hood allocated to your order. Please advise if you still want the new version of The Super Snake hood. We will be receiving a shipment of hoods Thursday of this week and will try to ship out by Friday.

Thank you for your patronage!

Brian Turner

Shelby Performance Parts

Ph#(702) 853-2930

Fax# (702) 405-3509

bturner@shelbyperformanceparts.com

Please visit us at the 2009 SEMA Show, Booth # 21254 & 24295

BUD YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING I HAVE GOT A SS HOOD WITH NO, NONE, NO, NOT ANY MANIFOLD IN THE HOOD TO DRILL ANY HOLES INTO NOT THERE. PARTS TOLD ME THEY DO NOT MAKE FUNCTIONAL HOODS ANY MORE. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :

Maybe as stated below, if you were able to take a pic of your hood, I would be able to understand what you mean. Or maybe because of all of the CAPS, I just didnt get it :hysterical: (just trying to calm you down a bit :) )

Now, if you are talking about the "old" style hood like this, then yes, you will need the baffle and cut the holes out.

BIGE45.jpg

It would look something like this when installed. Now, this one has more than 4 holes cut into it. We did replace it with a new one that only has 4 holes. If this is what you are talking about, shoot me an email at Budm@shelbyautos.com. I may be able to help you out. If you respond here, I may miss it.

P1010219.jpg

If neither of these pics are what you are talking about, please EMAIL me a picture and I'll see what I can do to help out.

Force 1, any way you can take a picture of the underside of yours and post it so Bud can see what you (and I) are trying to describe?

And I do have a call into SPP trying to figure out what is going on with the hoods. As soon as I know, you will all know.

Thanks,

Bud

How much did you pay for this hood???

I would rather not say right now. But I can tell you this.

When I showed it to the bodyshop guy he laughed his !@# off.

I know that shelby will make good on this once we figure out what went wrong.

WOW, they want $1,999.99 for those hoods.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I would rather not say right now. But I can tell you this.

When I showed it to the bodyshop guy he laughed his !@# off.

I know that shelby will make good on this once we figure out what went wrong.

I understand,

That hood looks like it slipped by the quality control inspectors.

It should have an inner skin that is completely finished.

I hope this isn't the finished product.

Keep us posted.

I understand,

That hood looks like it slipped by the quality control inspectors.

It should have an inner skin that is completely finished.

I hope this isn't the finished product.

Keep us posted.

update,bud informed me this is the new design hood he will update every -body soon . lucky me very 1ST gen v hood :fan::extinguish:

Ok here is what I found out................

I did know that we did make a new hood. What I knew about the new hood was it was a bit lighter, but stronger. The middle of the did not flex down during high speeds and touch the top of the blower. What I didn't know until today was (yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks LOL) that the air intake area was completely redone. As you can see in the pics I am posting, the area where the intake was removed. We still add holes to the under side (see pics) for the air induction into the cold air intake. What I will find out tomorrow is---and this is me thinking at the moment---that the area may have been removed so it could accomidate a vehicle with a stock airbox. I also think that we use a 2 1/4" hole saw for the holes.

I believe that this type of hood (both "old" styles) would not fit over a stock airbox. With this newer, lighter AND stronger design, it will now fit over top a stock GT500 airbox (I will double check in the morning).

Here are a couple pics of the hood before its drilled, primer--drilled and painted--drilled.

Bud

DSCF00275.jpg

DSCF00334.jpg

DSCF00294.jpg

DSCF00314.jpg

Now with all of the pics I posted on this thread, you can see what the original looked like, the updated one with the holes and the newer one that is stronger in the middle with the relocated air inlet holes. Hopefully this will clear up all confusions---as it did with me. :)

Bud, here are the pictures of the hood I recieved As you can see there is no manifold. There is nothing to cut open.

Don-Force 1

That's the exact hood that was trying to describe, thanks for taking the pictures & posting Don.

How much did you pay for this hood???

Hood - http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ake%20Hood.aspx

Louvers - http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...od%20Vents.aspx

Bud, I have been considering this hood and can say I am all for stronger and lighter, but the position of the air holes is kinda dumb, how is that going to have any kind of ram air effect?

When I first saw the pictures that my fellow club member forwarded me, I thought the exact same thing. Now that Bud has described how & where to cut holes to bring in the outside air, unless it can be directed to produce a "ram-air" effect, this is more of a "blow-through" design....which will, IMO, more or less help to extract the heat being produced from the engine. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some of the air being brought in can & will be pulled into the open air filters that some of use, but not like it did before when it was being directed. :headscratch:

That's the exact hood that was trying to describe, thanks for taking the pictures & posting Don.

Hood - http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ake%20Hood.aspx

Louvers - http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...od%20Vents.aspx

When I first saw the pictures that my fellow club member forwarded me, I thought the exact same thing. Now that Bud has described how & where to cut holes to bring in the outside air, unless it can be directed to produce a "ram-air" effect, this is more of a "blow-through" design....which will, IMO, more or less help to extract the heat being produced from the engine. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some of the air being brought in can & will be pulled into the open air filters that some of use, but not like it did before when it was being directed. :headscratch:

exactly, they actually had to reduce the holes to keep the hood from "blowing the candle" out :)

Now its a heat extractor hood.... :(

both would be nice but not just the HE part

If I remember correctly the very early SS hoods had turbulence issues and a baffle had to be added to work properly with the open air filters.

Considering that the new design has no ram air feature in the design will drilling holes on our own create turbulence issues again?

If I remember correctly the very early SS hoods had turbulence issues and a baffle had to be added to work properly with the open air filters.

Considering that the new design has no ram air feature in the design will drilling holes on our own create turbulence issues again?

You are correct. With all the research I did on these hoods, there appears to have been issues with the way the outside air was being brought in and forced into the air filter, which lead to the design changes.

IMO, it doesn't appear that it could happen with the new design because of how & where the outside air would be coming in from.

...but what's really got me confused is, WHO is actually responsible for making the cuts in the underside of the hood? Bud stated above in Post #19 that, "We still add holes to the under side (see pics) for the air induction into the cold air intake", but from the pictures I received in my email and the picture that Don (Force 1) posted of the hood he received, there are NO holes?? If there are pre-drilled holes in the hood, great, but if there are not, does Shelby send anything out telling exactly where & how big to make the holes, or is it left up to the customer to figure out? I know Shelby can't be responsible for what their customers do to the hood once it leaves their warehouse, but if we cut a few holes as we see in the pictures you posted and a problem does arise, how will it be handled?

You are correct. With all the research I did on these hoods, there appears to have been issues with the way the outside air was being brought in and forced into the air filter, which lead to the design changes.

IMO, it doesn't appear that it could happen with the new design because of how & where the outside air would be coming in from.

...but what's really got me confused is, WHO is actually responsible for making the cuts in the underside of the hood? Bud stated above in Post #19 that, "We still add holes to the under side (see pics) for the air induction into the cold air intake", but from the pictures I received in my email and the picture that Don (Force 1) posted of the hood he received, there are NO holes?? If there are pre-drilled holes in the hood, great, but if there are not, does Shelby send anything out telling exactly where & how big to make the holes, or is it left up to the customer to figure out? I know Shelby can't be responsible for what their customers do to the hood once it leaves their warehouse, but if we cut a few holes as we see in the pictures you posted and a problem does arise, how will it be handled?

you have to make them. Bud says we when SAI LV does an install...im sure if you cut holes its your baby....SAI cant be held responsible if you cut holes wrong as they are clearly optional.

you have to make them. Bud says we when SAI LV does an install...im sure if you cut holes its your baby....SAI cant be held responsible if you cut holes wrong as they are clearly optional.

that's what I assumed.

I was just curious that if Shelby expected the customer to make the holes, do they at least tell you how many to make, where to make them or what size they need to be in order to not have any problems. Once again, if they do, great, but if they don't, sounds to me like with all the issues they've had in the past with their "old versions", liability for a new product is being shifted over to the customer's corner.

I was just curious that if Shelby expected the customer to make the holes, do they at least tell you how many to make, where to make them or what size they need to be in order to not have any problems. Once again, if they do, great, but if they don't, sounds to me like with all the issues they've had in the past with their "old versions", liability for a new product is being shifted over to the customer's corner.

When the older "newer" hoods came out, there were no holes cut into the hood. It was up to the customer if they wanted to do it or not. The same goes with this new hood too. The customer has the choice if they want to cut the holes into it or not. If you are running a stock GT500 airbox (which does fit this new hood) then there would be no need to cut the holes.

And yes, there was an issue early on with the first "old" hood. It let in way too much air and it "blew the candle out"--per say. Then we added the baffle with 6 holes. Still too much airflow. Then we went with a 4 hole baffle--that worked quite well.

Then we made the hood that had the NON drilled baffle area made into it. With this type of hood, it did not fit on a stock GT500 with a stock airbox. So, what did we do?.................

We made this hood with out the baffle area (yes we do listen :)) Now, alot of been asking that this new hood with the holes as shown (what we do here) about the airflow. Even with out the holes cut, there is still a ton of airflow through the grille area----works for the stock GT500 airbox. We ran our test car with out the holes and with the holes and with the second generation hood. There was just a little bit of difference noticed.

So with this newer hood, you do have the choice of not cutting any holes, cutting holes in the same pattern as we do (4 spaced out across) or even cutting a slot by the airbox. What we tried to do is give you the choice of what you would like to do. As for the hole saw we use, I believe that I mentioned earlier that we use a 2 1/4 hole saw.

Bud

Bud a question--- My SS was delivered just about a year ago with the ford racing supercharger. The hood has a raised section on the underside on the forward drivers side with three[3] holes cut out in a triangle pattern as delivered.From reading this and other forums I have been told there is an air flow issue [blowing out the candle ] at high speed when you depress the clutch which can cause stalling. What are you recommending for hoods with three holes to avoid the stalling issue and is Shelby considering a recall to avoid any serious accidents resulting from high speed stalling

Archived