TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 take off rims

For those running GT5 take offs, which center caps are you using, besides the stock caps with the SVT emblem?

I'm about to buy a set of take offs locally, but they're not including the caps. Instead of spending more $ on an SVT emblem (which might look a little goofy on a SGT), I hoped to get some leads here.

Ken

p.s. What's the market for SGT rims?

I just left them on. Are you using them for track tires? If so, you may consider just leaving them off altogether. I think the Ford Racing center caps (see the catalog) may fit as well which is another option.

And for the stock SGT rims.... I sold mine pretty easily. $650. MGT and V6 they're a nice upgrade.

I just left them on. Are you using them for track tires? If so, you may consider just leaving them off altogether. I think the Ford Racing center caps (see the catalog) may fit as well which is another option.

And for the stock SGT rims.... I sold mine pretty easily. $650. MGT and V6 they're a nice upgrade.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I'll be using the SVT rims all the time.

I used the red "CS" center caps from my CSW CS40 wheels. They were replaced with blue ones. The caps go on with a snug fit, they required a little persuasion from a mallet. They also sink into the recess which gives a flush appearance. I think the blue ones I bought were $60 for the set. I liked the Ford racing ones but they were too pricey.

shelby058.jpg

Yup!

Sweet!

I just sold my OEM rims for $650. :happy feet:

I'm getting the sensors/bands pulled tomorrow morning and delivering them to the dude that paid cash money up front.

THEN, I'm driving an hour and a half to pick up my new (used) SVT rims. :shift:

Ken

As horsbyt said, yup the oem lug nuts will work. I remove the my Gorillas when I take the 20" street wheels off and then use the oem lugs for my SVT wheels when I go t the track.

track ready

Nice! The black rims look bitchin on your black SGT

I picked up the SVT rims yesterday. A big thanks to TS member Derrick for selling them to me at a great rate and for giving me the tour of his beautiful 07 Cobra vert.

Two of the rims, as you'll see, have tread and center caps. I guess I'll be selling the caps (along with my extra TPMS sensors) and try to pick up a set of the Ford Racing caps instead. The tires, however, are shot, so they'll be getting junked. The wheels cleaned up nicely and are in damn near perfect condition. I can't wait to get the tires mounted first thing tomorrow morning and get my SGT on the ground. :shift:

Ken

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

I picked up the SVT rims yesterday. A big thanks to TS member Derrick for selling them to me at a great rate and for giving me the tour of his beautiful 07 Cobra vert.

Two of the rims, as you'll see, have tread and center caps. I guess I'll be selling the caps (along with my extra TPMS sensors) and try to pick up a set of the Ford Racing caps instead. The tires, however, are shot, so they'll be getting junked. The wheels cleaned up nicely and are in damn near perfect condition. I can't wait to get the tires mounted first thing tomorrow morning and get my SGT on the ground. :shift:

Ken

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

Nice purchase Ken...You'll love them...Don't know what size tires you were running before, but when I put the GT500 tires and wheels on my SGT, I noticed a BIG difference in the way the car handled...better by the way...My rear tires were close to being shot, and I just recently put a new set of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires from Tire Rack.com on the back and could really tell the difference in the way they make the car feel...again, even better than before...A lot of people don't like the Goodyears, but you can get good deals on them at Tire Rack, and I am one that kind of likes to keep the stock type tires on the cars...unless they are Firestones, then I'll switch in a heartbeat....LOL

What are your plans for tires on those nice wheels? Keep us posted.

Carl

Hey Carl thanks a lot man. I was running 255/45 F1 Supercars on my stock rims, which I scored from tirerack at the same great rate you mentioned about 6 months ago.

So I went with the F1 Supercars again for the SVT rims, which I got mounted and balanced today (285/40's on all 4 corners). While at it, I took the opportunity to pull the rear rotors to have them turned and I swapped in a new set of Hawk pads, since I've been getting a lot of noise from the rears the past couple weeks. I put everything together tonight, then took her out for the first spin in several days.

Since I was already running the F1's, I notice very little difference at all, except that the front end feels a little 'heavier' while steering. They sure do look awfully cool though in my opinion and I'm excited about having the wider tread for track days. Here are some pics I snagged this eve.

Ken

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

Those look great Ken! I love our stock wheels and orginally I said I wouldn't change them. However, these look so good on our cars that if I do ever change it will be to these.

Thanks Chill, I'm really happy with how they look on the SGT too!

Looks good Ken...

Now you've got lots of room for some BIG brakes to wow down all that HP :)

That's the next thing on the list Kerry. I'm hoping to find some Brembo take offs at a good rate.

Hey Carl thanks a lot man. I was running 255/45 F1 Supercars on my stock rims, which I scored from tirerack at the same great rate you mentioned about 6 months ago.

So I went with the F1 Supercars again for the SVT rims, which I got mounted and balanced today (285/40's on all 4 corners)...

I'm very positively impressed by the handling and ride characteristics of the F! Supercars on the GT500 takeoffs I put on last week. They were very stable at (dare I say?) 1XXmph during a trip to Terlingua, and although the tread blocks are still very tall, after taking an initial set they curved well at 1XX+. They are on the convertible, which has always been a delight to drive; shod thusly, it is almost irresistable - I think of it sitting there and I grope for the slightest excuse to drive it.

I do have an objection: on concrete highways with those "anti-skid" lines parallel to the direction of travel, the tires make a LOT of whiny noise. Is that a characteristic of the tire, or did mine stay in the "you're a siren" vat too long? There's also a lower-toned "woowoowoowoo" sound on some surfaces.

With regard to the 285-40s on the front, I'll be interested to know if there are any clearance problems. I'd put them on the front, too, to eliminate some of the innate oversteer.

I'm very positively impressed by the handling and ride characteristics of the F! Supercars on the GT500 takeoffs I put on last week. They were very stable at (dare I say?) 1XXmph during a trip to Terlingua, and although the tread blocks are still very tall, after taking an initial set they curved well at 1XX+. They are on the convertible, which has always been a delight to drive; shod thusly, it is almost irresistable - I think of it sitting there and I grope for the slightest excuse to drive it.

I do have an objection: on concrete highways with those "anti-skid" lines parallel to the direction of travel, the tires make a LOT of whiny noise. Is that a characteristic of the tire, or did mine stay in the "you're a siren" vat too long? There's also a lower-toned "woowoowoowoo" sound on some surfaces.

With regard to the 285-40s on the front, I'll be interested to know if there are any clearance problems. I'd put them on the front, too, to eliminate some of the innate oversteer.

The 285/40's clear without any trouble at all. Colin from Griggs is running 305's up front without issue actually.

They pull my SGT around more, especially on freeways with ruts, but it's no hill for a climber.

I love the wider tires up front and can't wait till I can afford to get Toyo RA1 305's for all 4 corners. You're right though about the F1's. They are phenomenal on the street, especially in comparison to the BFG's that came on my car.

Ken

The 285/40's clear without any trouble at all. Colin from Griggs is running 305's up front without issue actually.

They pull my SGT around more, especially on freeways with ruts, but it's no hill for a climber.

I love the wider tires up front and can't wait till I can afford to get Toyo RA1 305's for all 4 corners. You're right though about the F1's. They are phenomenal on the street, especially in comparison to the BFG's that came on my car.

Ken

Thank you for that. I may look at TireRack, if their special is still on.

The Noise. You didn't mention the Noise. Do the F1 Supercars all make so much noise?

Thank you for that. I may look at TireRack, if their special is still on.

The Noise. You didn't mention the Noise. Do the F1 Supercars all make so much noise?

Yes sir, mine make the same kinds of noises over the same patches of pavement that you described.

I suppose it must be due to the tread design. I've found that when I run a little lower pressure (minus 2-3 psi) the noise dissipates a bit.

Ken

Yes sir, mine make the same kinds of noises over the same patches of pavement that you described.

I suppose it must be due to the tread design. I've found that when I run a little lower pressure (minus 2-3 psi) the noise dissipates a bit.

Ken

Another thanks, Ken. I'll experiment with the tire pressures. They were at 38/35 f/r for the high-speed highways.

I did order the 285s from TireRack. This time next week I should be symmetrical, front to rear, and noise for noise.

Another thanks, Ken. I'll experiment with the tire pressures. They were at 38/35 f/r for the high-speed highways.

I did order the 285s from TireRack. This time next week I should be symmetrical, front to rear, and noise for noise.

Good luck Frank! Let us know how you like the wider tires up front. :lurk:

• 2 months later...

Archived