TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Postmortem of all my issues:

ChrisSD

Issue 1: "the tick"

Ford sent an FSE and an SVT powertrain engineer out to my dealer. Those two combined with a kickass shop foreman and excellent master tech spent a huge amount of time on the car on multipe visits, made recordings, pulled cam covers and checked the valvetrain, adjusted things etc. This was the result in a Ford opinion:

2755 - 2007-2010 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 NORMAL ENGINE NOISE

SOME 2007-2010 MUSTANG GT500 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT CLATTER/TICK/TAP CHARACTERISTIC ENGINE NOISE. THE NOISE MAY BE CAUSED BY TOLERANCE STACK UP, NOT A SINGLE COMPONENT. DUE TO MANUFACTURING VARIANCES, ALL OF THESE ENGINES WILL EXHIBIT SOME LEVEL OF NOISE. AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE THROUGH THE WHEEL WELL, UNDER THE VEHICLE AND WITH AN OPEN HOOD, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 303-00. UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS SUCH AS COLD ENGINE STARTS AND ENGINE STARTUP AFTER PROLONGED PERIODS, AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE DURING ENGINE WARM UP PERIOD. THOROUGH TESTING HAS FOUND NO DURABILITY OR PERFORMANCE LOSS FROM THIS CONDITION

Probably not "fixable" but not a problem either. My car makes full power and the noise seems to go away once completely warmed up. Case closed, I just got a noisier car than others.

Issue 2: Driveline vibration when accelerating through 10MPH.

Ford engineering knew what this was instantly. I guess there is a shim installed between the two driveshaft sections that caused this. The fix is to remove the shim. The FSE said it was PUT THERE to reduce NVH, but it CAUSED IT for me! Without it there, the car is perfect now.

Issue 3: Paint peeling on top edge of bumper.

FSE says the bumper was not adjusted quite right at the factory, causing the passenger side joint to be too tight, rubbing the paint off. He said I need to have it adjusted, and then can touchup the paint. It is clear that the driver side has much more clearance.

Issue 4: Ripped air filter

Simple. Replaced it. The dealer tech put it on correctly and didn't overtighten the crap out of it like the factory obviously did.

Issue 5: Seat stuffing/cover assembled poorly.

Dealer tech is an excellent fit/finish guy and took care of this perfectly.

Issue 6: Bubble in stripe.

I honestly don't give a shit at this point. I'll eventually paint the stripes on.

Ford came through and saved me as a customer after my selling dealer's service manager really screwed up the relationship. The effort Ford put forth really showed me they care. I wasn't pulling a "lemon" law, no attorney BS, no threats, nothing. All I did was contact Ford and say I love my car but it has issues and my dealer isn't helping.

I'm very happy.

As far as the engine tick. Now this is going to sound funny, but could be oil related. Yes, oil.

Stay with me for a minute. In my truck 6.6l Duramax, some of us had a tick, just as you described. And yes the drivers side wheel well was a good point to pick this out. So most of them just like you, had their truck to the shop, torn down, rebuilt...ect and same story as yours...Nothings wrong.

Some guy changed his oil and this time he used a different brand, and one day he noticed his tick was gone. I know, I know...Sounds like BS to me also, but I never had the tick so could not confirm this. But hey it is worth a try. (Also he was not using the same oil as me. But he did switch to Shell Rotella Synthetic, this is what I was using)

BTW, are you still on factory oil?

Some of the Diesel performance guys said this could be possible, due to air bubbles? So you never know.

Todd

As far as the engine tick. Now this is going to sound funny, but could be oil related. Yes, oil.

Stay with me for a minute. In my truck 6.6l Duramax, some of us had a tick, just as you described. And yes the drivers side wheel well was a good point to pick this out. So most of them just like you, had their truck to the shop, torn down, rebuilt...ect and same story as yours...Nothings wrong.

Some guy changed his oil and this time he used a different brand, and one day he noticed his tick was gone. I know, I know...Sounds like BS to me also, but I never had the tick so could not confirm this. But hey it is worth a try. (Also he was not using the same oil as me. But he did switch to Shell Rotella Synthetic, this is what I was using)

BTW, are you still on factory oil?

Some of the Diesel performance guys said this could be possible, due to air bubbles? So you never know.

Todd

I had engine tick/chatter on my 06 GT when I first bought it. Took it to the dealer and they said this was normal for the 4.6. When I did my first oil change I used Penzzoil Platinum Full Synthetic and the tick/chatter was significantly reduced/almost completely gone.

Archived