TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Swapping out my '08 for '10 tomorrow

HesamiGT500

The paperwork is finished and I am picking up my '10 Torch Red GT500 tomorrow. It has all possible the options with white stripes. I am trading in my '08 Vapor GT500. I have loved that car so much and I might breakdown at the dealership having to say goodbye but I might feel a lot better on the drive home. I plan on taking it easy and breaking the engine in. I smoked the tires pulling the last one off the lot 2 years ago. Vapor was the best looking color for the last model (in my opinion) and the new grey is amazing, but I'm ready for something a bit more fun. Torch Red it is...

I'll try and put pictures up later. It is a more common color but I have had a hard time finding any good pics of a Torch Red coupe w/ White stripes.

I have loved that car so much and I might breakdown at the dealership having to say goodbye but I might feel a lot better on the drive home.

As much as loved and took care of my previous car..the minute I saw the Shelby...I didn't think about it again. I never regretted seeing the old car go.

1998 Cobra...great car.

Burning Blue Star, interesting you had a 1998 Cobra before getting your 2010, I am in same boat, have 98 Cobra convertible I bought new now with 80k, but have reached the time to swap it out. :cry: Wife kids me it is longest I have ever owned a car, but I figure after the 2011's GT500's that will be a downhill slide for what will be the "muscle cars" for the next 25 years (like 1970 all over again) so am planning on doing the 2011 order soon after the order books open up. :drool:

Have even thought about buying one of those new garage lifts to store the 98 but probably will not happen

Anyway, how do you compare the two so far?

The paperwork is finished and I am picking up my '10 Torch Red GT500 tomorrow. It has all possible the options with white stripes. I am trading in my '08 Vapor GT500. I have loved that car so much and I might breakdown at the dealership having to say goodbye but I might feel a lot better on the drive home. I plan on taking it easy and breaking the engine in. I smoked the tires pulling the last one off the lot 2 years ago. Vapor was the best looking color for the last model (in my opinion) and the new grey is amazing, but I'm ready for something a bit more fun. Torch Red it is...

I'll try and put pictures up later. It is a more common color but I have had a hard time finding any good pics of a Torch Red coupe w/ White stripes.

Welcome to the Torch Red club--theres 5 of us on the forum,at least in Blues directory--bob

Congratulations,

:happy feet:

If you find the 2010 at least half as awesome as I do, you will be more than satisfied. The 2010 is fracking awesome, even in red ;)

Oh yeah.....I nearly forgot........it's worth trading up just to get rid of that Fender mounted magnetic CB antenna alone ......... :poke:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards, Ian

Hey guys!

Got the car and I cannot believe how awesome it is. If you have an 07-09 GT500, you have a great car. Do not feel insecure about your car when everyone starts posting their new pictures on here, but if you have the budget to get a '10 GT500, just do it. I almost cried on the way to the dealer to trade mine in but I was thrilled on the way home. My 2008 was previously wrecked but repaired immaculately.

(PRICE)

I got 36 for my 2008 vapor - about 14,930 miles (wrecked and repaired) (Nav and amb. lighting)

I believe I payed about 48 even for the 2010 (every possible option)

If you are wondering how I got it for 3 under sticker, I know the GM...

-All Shelbys ('07-'10) are selling for more at the auctions right now so dealers can give you more money

If you have considered buying a KR, I'm not an expert on the values of those cars, but I can promise you one thing- you would enjoy driving and owning a 2010 much much more.

I also love having red. I have had Vapor and i have a black Audi S5 and I really like having a car that little kids chase you down the street in when you drive past. I like have a flashy car. It's fun.

-josh

Got the car and I cannot believe how awesome it is. If you have an 07-09 GT500, you have a great car. Do not feel insecure about your car when everyone starts posting their new pictures on here, but if you have the budget to get a '10 GT500, just do it.

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself! Enjoy :)

I got 36 for my 2008 vapor - about 14,930 miles (wrecked and repaired)........................I know the GM...

Hey Josh,

I'm interested,...do you think that $36K is what anyone would have got from this dealer for your "wrecked and repaired" 08, or did the dealer give you that much because you knew him? How bad was it "wrecked", and did the dealer say that he would've given you even more if it had not been previously damaged and repaired? How big was the repair?

Regards, Ian

Hey Ian,

I got 36 for mine wrecked in part because I do know the dealer but all shelbys, 07-10, are selling for higher prices at the dealer auctions right now so that number might not be too far off from what anyone else should get supposing that the dealer knows what they are doing. Most major dealers look at their black-book and also pull up online and see an average of what the car is selling for at the auctions and what conditions. Some dealers are oblivious to this process though...

I had spun my 08 out in the rain and it pulled my front and rear bumper off and buckled in the back left quarter panel. While it was being repaired, the guy who was repairing it was also rebuilding one of the few actual Eleanor Mustangs from Gone In 60 Seconds so he was very good. When I went to trade it in i could not figure out which side of the car was damaged. (it was made like new)

-josh

Burning Blue Star, interesting you had a 1998 Cobra before getting your 2010, I am in same boat, have 98 Cobra convertible I bought new now with 80k, but have reached the time to swap it out. :cry: Wife kids me it is longest I have ever owned a car, but I figure after the 2011's GT500's that will be a downhill slide for what will be the "muscle cars" for the next 25 years (like 1970 all over again) so am planning on doing the 2011 order soon after the order books open up. :drool:

Have even thought about buying one of those new garage lifts to store the 98 but probably will not happen

Anyway, how do you compare the two so far?

Jrc50...my simple advice is GET THE SHELBY NOW! hehe. I'm serious..there's no way you'll regret it.

Honestly...through all the years with the cobra...I loved it and it really stood up through the years and years. It still looked fresh even though it was 11 years old.

As for comparing the two...It's really hard to do. The Shelby is just soooo much more refined and expensive feeling - it's on a completely different level than the cobra. The Shelby is superior in every category except one...the stereo. The old Mach460 system kills the Shaker 500 system. I'm talking "sound" alone...not the features of the stereo.

Also...you might feel a little bad about getting rid of your cobra...but once you drive the Shelby...I can't see how you'll ever think of the old car again. I know I haven't. It's just that much better.

I agree with Burning Blue Star (for lack of better terms, i dont know your name), even in comparison with my 2008, the changes are very immense and the car is very refined in so many details and feels way more expensive. I have been neglecting my new Audi S5 because it simply is boring after driving the Shelby.

As for the radio... I haven't turned it on in my 2010 yet. I have left the windows down because the sound makes F430 owners turn their heads and thats enough audio for me for the next few weeks until I start utilizing my SYNC system. Also, the new speakers in the 2010s are a collaboration with the Shaker company and SONY so they are above the quality of that of a 2007 if that is what you have heard.

-Josh

Also, the new speakers in the 2010s are a collaboration with the Shaker company and SONY so they are above the quality of that of a 2007 if that is what you have heard.

Wow...I'm actually shocked that the speakers are supposed to be better than recent years. I didn't see anything indicating Sony on the speakers themselves. They are by far the cheapest sounding speakers I've heard in a car. There's no clarity at all - it sounds so muddy and flat. There's no highs. The door subs seem to do at least an "alright job"...but the other rear decklid and door 2 ways are terrible IMO. Take a look at the rear decklid speakers from the trunk. Look at the magnets and the speaker material. You'll be able to tell how low end these speakers are. I can't believe they put these in the Shelby or any mustang for that matter.

That being said..it's my only disappointment of the car. I may get around to swapping out the speakers in the spring for some descent Pioneer units.

Yep, I also occasionally still turn off the radio and put the windows down to listen to the engine. Nothing wrong with that.

Glad you fellas like your trades. I can't believe i'm actually considering a trade for my '08 GT-500. If you talk to anyone that knows me, I usually hang onto things for MANY years but......there's a KR in my sights !!

If the price is right, i'll make a move. Wish me luck boys !!

First of all congratulations on your new car. I have a 2008 GT 500 with a little less than 3000 miles on the clock, and am looking to trade for 2010 black with black stripes. Any information you'd be willing to reveal on the trade value would greatly be appreciated however if not i respect that too, and again congratulations on your new car and please drive safe....Roger

• 2 weeks later...
First of all congratulations on your new car. I have a 2008 GT 500 with a little less than 3000 miles on the clock, and am looking to trade for 2010 black with black stripes. Any information you'd be willing to reveal on the trade value would greatly be appreciated however if not i respect that too, and again congratulations on your new car and please drive safe....Roger

Hey Roger,

I am very nostalgic and I, like you, tend to hold on to things forever. I terribly sad to trade in my 08 but I have not thought about it since the drive home. It's all a matter of preference what you like but I can't speculate what the prices of the 08s will act like at the auctions in the near future. If you don't get the price that you want for your car then don't trade it in but I think that the price of your car will only go down for the next few years. I have not looked at the 2008s at the auctions recently but if it's anything like it was a month ago I would say yours should be at least 37 for trade with no connections. I know that changes are being made for 2011 but I'm not sure what where the value of your car will be by that time. I am personally not a fan of the KRs but they are great cars. I recommend everyone get a new model soon though just because this is the coolest car ever.

Archived