TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Disappointing Policy of American Muscle

:headscratch: Sounds like American Muscle's customer service is severely lacking. The rear brakes should not have been a problem on aftermarket wheels claiming they are designed for "big brakes". The policy of not taking wheels back once they are mounted is rather ridiculous anyway. If you didn't bolt them onto the car they probably wouldn't even have shown any mounting evidence anyway. It seems a lot of companies are long on "selling" and real short on "customer service". What would they have lost in the deal anyway, 4 made in China wheels, which they probably paid around $50 total for the set. Instead, they are getting their name plastered over this forum and will likely loose several sales. You have done a service to consumers by starting this post. No consumer should let a company say "it's the customer's fault". That's too easy with all of the rules and policies hidden in the legaleeze fine print. Do the right thing and they will stay in business. Maybe you should forward all of these forum replies to American Muscles CEO. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I would report in on things. To use the same word twice, "disappointing" is what it has been as American Muscle has seemingly decided to not respond to my letters. I wrote them on September 25, 2009, with a letter that included my e-mails to them because I had not heard back from them in response to my e-mails. When I did not hear from them in response to the letter, I called. I was told to send a letter to their legal department, which I did on September 29, 2009. That letter said:

American Muscle

Legal Department

7 Lee Boulevard, Suite 100

Malvern, PA 19355

Re: Problem with wheel order, Order # 728617

Dear Ma'am or Sir:

Enclosed with this letter, you will find my letter to American Muscle dated September 25, 2009. I spoke this date to a gentleman in Customer Service (I did not write down his name but he was professional in all respects) and he told me that once tires have been mounted to the wheels, American Muscle will not accept the wheels back.

I asked for information to get my problem to your Legal Department and he suggested writing to you with specific direction to the Legal Department. Hence, this letter. I would like to resolve this informally. My letter of September 25, 2009, sets forth things from my end. I look forward to your response. If you write, the above address is best. If you call, the best number is 619-239-2007, ext. 110. I get to work at 5:00 a.m. Pacific time. Thank you .

I have not heard back from them so, today, I am mailing this letter to them. I confess I do not understand a company like American Muscle subscribing to the "let's ignore him and maybe he will go away" philospohy.

American Muscle

Legal Department

7 Lee Boulevard, Suite 100

Malvern, PA 19355

Re: Problem with wheel order, Order # 728617

Dear Ma'am or Sir:

Enclosed with this letter, you will find my letter to American Muscle dated September 29, 2009, with the enclosures referenced in that letter. To date, I have not received the courtesy of a response.

Would you be so kind as to share with me the contact information for your agent for service of process? I need to resolve this matter and, given the reluctance of American Muscle to join me in an effort to do so informally, I must move forward using the legal process. Thank you .

I will share events as they happen or do not happen. The only good to come of this is that Michael Bruno (mywickedshelby) now owns my American Muscle wheels and the tires I had mounted on them. He has put them on his car and they are, in a word, stunning. Check them out here (go to post #31): http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=48510&hl=

Anyway, in anticipation of talking with American Muscle, I figured the right thing to do was to mitigate my damages the best I could so that part is done. If I could only get them to talk with me.

More than ever, I ask you to consider not trading with American Muscle. Even if I was 100% in the wrong and being a jerk about it, they should at least communicate with me. In my world, ignoring things just makes them worse. Time will tell.

Jim

as fate would have it.......American Muscle contacted the President of the Garden State Mustang Club about putting an ad on our club website advertising for AM.

In return, all members would get a 10% discount on all AM products.....

I am on the Board of Directors for the Mustang club.

After sharing Jim's story with the Board at our last meeting, we unaminously voted NOT to include the ad on our website.

In addition, I will share the story of Jim's experience with the entire club membership at the next general meeting.

Its unfortunate that AM policies and customer service were so short sighted that they didnt do the right thing by Jim and

now it will cost them significantly in future sales........

Pay it forward!

Tell all your friends about this so they can avoid getting hosed by American Muscle too.

as fate would have it.......American Muscle contacted the President of the Garden State Mustang Club about putting an ad on our club website advertising for AM.

In return, all members would get a 10% discount on all AM products.....

I am on the Board of Directors for the Mustang club.

After sharing Jim's story with the Board at our last meeting, we unaminously voted NOT to include the ad on our website.

In addition, I will share the story of Jim's experience with the entire club membership at the next general meeting.

Its unfortunate that AM policies and customer service were so short sighted that they didnt do the right thing by Jim and

now it will cost them significantly in future sales........

Pay it forward!

Tell all your friends about this so they can avoid getting hosed by American Muscle too.

You know, Michael, I appreciate that. But, more than anything, I wish American Muscle would just call me, even now. If you have any contact with them, ask them to do it as I would prefer to work things out. I litigate for a living and it is the last thing I want to do in my "Shelby time" is do that. Thanks again.

Jim

My American Muscle wheels do not clear my rear (yes, rear) brakes and they will not take them back.

After “forever” trying to decide which wheels to get, I decided on GT4s, 9” in front and 10” in back. On the web site, both the 9” and the 10” carried the same description: “The distinctive design of the GT4 Supercar. Clearance for large brake calipers & rotors. Hypercoated for dramatic "liquid mercury" effect.” The 10” carried this additional description: “18x10 - Rear Only.”

When I got the wheels, before I did anything else, I checked to make sure the fronts (9”) cleared the brakes. They did. I did not check the rears. I had my tires mounted (at a cost of $120), went to put the wheels on the rear and they did not clear the brakes.

I e-mailed American Muscle three times, and wrote them a snail mail letter. I did not get a reply. I contacted them by phone on 09-29-09, and, while they were nice, they told me I was out of luck and they would not take back wheels to which tires had been mounted. That I relied on their web site representation about clearance was unpersuasive.

As you might guess, I do not see that as fair when I relied on their representation about clearance. I am looking into other options to achieve something approaching fair. What I ask of you is that you think twice about buying from American Muscle. In the marketplace, one of the most effective ways to deal with perceived unfairness by a vendor is to not buy from that vendor.

While I will not buy from them again, it will speak louder if other TS members make that same choice. While, in hindsight, I should have checked the back wheels before mounting tires, I still think American Muscle is being less than fair in affirmatively telling the customer that the wheel will fit over big brakes when it will not and then, in essence, saying what we tell customers in our web site does not matter.

Anyone want to buy some brand new wheels (seriously)?

Jim

Just a suggestion, maybe everyone who reads this post on the Shelby Forum should send an e-mail to American Muscle, vowing never to use their products again due to their lack of customer service. Probably won't get you a refund but WILL get their attention. If you give permission to use some of the basic facts of the case, which would require your full name for maximum impact, I would certainly send them a brief note. There is some low level Amercian Muscle Customer Service Manager that has made the "decision" to ignore you and who has found it easier to follow the company "line" then it is to make a positive decision. :happy feet:

Hi Clark,

Have you posted pics yet of the KR wheels on your car?

Glad to hear wicked bought the GT4 wheels they look really nice on his car.

Now I know why the dealer that installed my CS69 wheels would not mount them to the rubber until they checked that they would fit my brakes. I told them that the Carroll Shelby wheel company said they would fit and they told me that they always hear from wheel companies that the wheels will fit and that every once in a while they will run into the problem of them not fitting due to big brakes so they check everytime before mounting rubber.

IMO I think the company who installed the rubber onto the rims was half at fault for not checking proper fitment first. Unless you just brought the rims and tires into a shop and asked them to mount them without bringing the car along then I guess you would be half liable.

It all worked out in the end, now you have a really killer set of KR wheels and Michael has a really killer set of GT4 wheels and American Muscle now has a bad reputation.

Just a suggestion, maybe everyone who reads this post on the Shelby Forum should send an e-mail to American Muscle, vowing never to use their products again due to their lack of customer service. Probably won't get you a refund but WILL get their attention. If you give permission to use some of the basic facts of the case, which would require your full name for maximum impact, I would certainly send them a brief note. There is some low level Amercian Muscle Customer Service Manager that has made the "decision" to ignore you and who has found it easier to follow the company "line" then it is to make a positive decision. :happy feet:

Not a bad suggestion and thank you. The Order Number was 728617. The name they have on the order is James P. Clark.

Jim

Hi Clark,

Have you posted pics yet of the KR wheels on your car?

Glad to hear wicked bought the GT4 wheels they look really nice on his car.

Now I know why the dealer that installed my CS69 wheels would not mount them to the rubber until they checked that they would fit my brakes. I told them that the Carroll Shelby wheel company said they would fit and they told me that they always hear from wheel companies that the wheels will fit and that every once in a while they will run into the problem of them not fitting due to big brakes so they check everytime before mounting rubber.

IMO I think the company who installed the rubber onto the rims was half at fault for not checking proper fitment first. Unless you just brought the rims and tires into a shop and asked them to mount them without bringing the car along then I guess you would be half liable.

It all worked out in the end, now you have a really killer set of KR wheels and Michael has a really killer set of GT4 wheels and American Muscle now has a bad reputation.

I have not posted photos of the KR wheels yet but will this weekend. I am at work now and hope to get out of here such that I can get the car washed and all before I photograph it. Not complaining about work as it's good to be busy in this economy. The photos will probably not come before Sunday.

On the install, the install shop was not at fault as I did not bring the car in - only the wheels and tires but that is a good point.

As to American Muscle, I suspect that what gth0007 wrote is spot on -- some lower level person is choosing to not deal with things. I am a small business owner and have been for 27 years. Nobody cares as much about your reputation as does the the owner. If anyone knows how to contact someone up the food chain at American Muscle, I would sure like to have that information.

Jim

Hey Americian Muscle... :headscratch: WTF?

They said it would fit it don't...bottom line KEEP YOUR WORD! I will not buy from Am Muscle. They SHOULD however call it Chinese Muscle...

Then they would be more accurate.

Wickeds wheels look amazing on his car, I will say that.

Jim give em hell and charge them for your time, the problem with modern living is nobodys ad's or word means much to most people and/or companies you deal with, when one does it is extraordinary instead of the way it should be.

SAI is extraordinary, Am Muscle unfortunentally is mearly ordinary in this situation.

Jim looks like "Americian Muscle" could benefit from this Chinese plants philosophy I got froma website:

Product Description

Our firm is specialized in trading and exporting various kinds of aluminum alloy wheels and auto wheels, which used for motorcycles, electric bikes, auto vehicles, electric scooters, beach motors, electric vehicles, and etc. The color, can be painting plating and machine.

We are loyal to the spiritual heritage that "Pursue Perfection, Challenge Maxima", and traditional business philosophy that "to develop value for our customers, to make fortune for our society, to achieve best service for the humankind, to create maximum profit for the enterprise".

Warmly welcome to visit our website and contact us directly. We longed for the buyers of the world contact us. We would supply the best quality products, quote the favorable price and offer the good service to clients for always! Any further enquiry will receive our prompt attention.

:hysterical:

I wish that manufactures and venders that sell their products would see the point of view of their customers. A little consideration would go farther than being unfair.

I called American Muscle about this issue. Chris (not the same Chris that I have dealt with) stated that when the rubber is added to the wheels, their yours. I asked him for consideration on this and he said that's the way it is.

Jim, the only thing that I would do, is foward this thread to them. Let them read the posts and hopefully they will credit you for the wheels. See you on 10/25/09 at the Mustang Madness.

Tom

I wish that manufactures and venders that sell their products would see the point of view of their customers. A little consideration would go farther than being unfair.

I called American Muscle about this issue. Chris (not the same Chris that I have dealt with) stated that when the rubber is added to the wheels, their yours. I asked him for consideration on this and he said that's the way it is.

Jim, the only thing that I would do, is foward this thread to them. Let them read the posts and hopefully they will credit you for the wheels. See you on 10/25/09 at the Mustang Madness.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Had not thought about sharing the thread with them but that is not a bad idea. Maybe I am dense but I still do not understand why a human being at American Muscle cannot pick up the phone and talk with me, regardless of their position. Thank you for your efforts. I will follow up with them on Monday. I have not called yet (since the first time) as I wanted to give them the time to let my letter work its way through the chain of command.

Looking forward to Mustang Madness.

Jim

More than likely no body that works the phones or at the desk will not call you back. It is in the legal department now. No i am not a lawyer BUT I did stay at the holiday in.

Not a bad suggestion and thank you. The Order Number was 728617. The name they have on the order is James P. Clark.

Jim

I just sent a note to SUPPORT@AMERCIAN MUSCLE.COM regarding this issue. Probably won't do much good but if enough Team Shelby members sent e-mails it would at least get their attention.

"I just read a disappointing post on the Shelby Forum regarding what appears to be very poor customer service from your company. Reference your order number 728617, customer James Clark. Failing to respond to customers and hiding behind a company policy to avoid making a rational decision, is not the correct approach when dealing with those of us who make up the close knit Mustang / Shelby community. I'm hopeful to read a follow-up on the Shelby Forum post that shows your company finally addressed this issue correctly. As a Shelby owner, I will suspend any purchases from your company and will encourage others to do the same. Regards, Larry Miller "

I'm not sure how they can help you out know since you have sold the rims. Possibly give you a credit of a couple hundred $'s but I don't think you will ever buy from them again.

I think your only reward is the bad publicity they now have.

I'm not sure how they can help you out know since you have sold the rims. Possibly give you a credit of a couple hundred $'s but I don't think you will ever buy from them again.

I think your only reward is the bad publicity they now have.

I have never expected them to take back the rims and, as a student of the law, I understand that one must mitigate their damages. That is why I sold the rims and did everything to minimize what it cost me overall so that, when a judge looks at it, he or she can make a finding that I did everything that the customer can do to make a bad set of circumstances less bad. I hope to give them a call today when I get a moment. I still want to have a meeting of the minds with them, figure out something that is fair and move on. Until then, I will plod along with my efforts to achieve that.

Jim

Thanks, everyone.

You know, I thought about telling them that I was am active member of TS and that I am an attorney but I thought the appropriate way to approach it was as just another customer. I figured I would find out what I needed to know that way and I did. I have a letter out to their legal department by snail mail so we will see if they step up. If they do, I will be the first to report that fact here on TS.

Jim

My issue with AM hardly compares to the financial level you're dealing with Jim, but it goes along the same line of poor, inflexible customer service. My wife asked to give her some gift ideas for Christmas 2008. I set her up with AM for a set of sequential tail light kits. It is damn cold here in December, and the Shelby was mothballed for the season. Come March, I installed the kits and I had lamps not lighting intermittantly. Their policy on electrical parts is 30 days - period. My wife is out $150, plus the $160 I'm out for the set I purchased from MRT. AM has been dead to me ever since... :rip:

Sorry they screwed you too...

-QC

My issue with AM hardly compares to the financial level you're dealing with Jim, but it goes along the same line of poor, inflexible customer service. My wife asked to give her some gift ideas for Christmas 2008. I set her up with AM for a set of sequential tail light kits. It is damn cold here in December, and the Shelby was mothballed for the season. Come March, I installed the kits and I had lamps not lighting intermittantly. Their policy on electrical parts is 30 days - period. My wife is out $150, plus the $160 I'm out for the set I purchased from MRT. AM has been dead to me ever since... :rip:

Sorry they screwed you too...

-QC

Hmmmmmm . . . sounds like a corporate policy after reading your post. Maybe business is so good they do not have to worry about customers becoming return customers. Seems short sighted to me.

Jim

I just sent a note to SUPPORT@AMERCIAN MUSCLE.COM regarding this issue. Probably won't do much good but if enough Team Shelby members sent e-mails it would at least get their attention.

"I just read a disappointing post on the Shelby Forum regarding what appears to be very poor customer service from your company. Reference your order number 728617, customer James Clark. Failing to respond to customers and hiding behind a company policy to avoid making a rational decision, is not the correct approach when dealing with those of us who make up the close knit Mustang / Shelby community. I'm hopeful to read a follow-up on the Shelby Forum post that shows your company finally addressed this issue correctly. As a Shelby owner, I will suspend any purchases from your company and will encourage others to do the same. Regards, Larry Miller "

email sent!

Jim,

Wow, i'm sorry to hear (read) about this. I am however happy to see that you were able to sell the wheels and find some KR wheels, which is probably the best possible outcome.

If you can't get through to a decision or policy maker through the normal channels, try going through the administration side...accounting, etc. If you catch someone on a good day, they might be willing to give you a name or at least get your name and number to someone who might not see or hear it otherwise.

Dan

I called American Muscle yesterday and talked with a manager, Brian. It was a perplexing call. After being told to send my letter to the Legal Department, I find out from Brian that there is no such department. Brian did not have my letters or e-mails and could not find them. He got somewhat agitated with me when I was polite but persistent in telling him that I was going to pursue legal action if American Muscle did not want to work with me but, in the end, he, pretty much, got it back together.

But here is the kicker, I mentioned to him that I had done everything that the law requires, in particular, mitigated my damages by selling the wheels. He responded with, "You sold the wheels?!?" He saw that as, and I quote, "morally wrong" and asked me how I could sell the wheels and then come back on American Muscle.

I asked him if he was a lawyer and he said he was not. I explained to him that, under the law, I am required to do what I can to lower the amount of my loss. He did not seem to understand that. We went round and round and I suggested that he have whoever it is that does their legal work just give me a call and that, in five minutes, I could probably take care of things, one way or the other. He did not seem too warm to that idea.

I asked him if he would provide me with the name of their Agent for Service of Process so I could move things through the legal system. I told Brian I was not upset with him and just wanted to get it resolved through the legal system if American Muscle declined to even talk with me about doing something fair.

I asked to speak with whoever was higher up in authority than Brian and he did not seem to care for that question either. His final statement was because I had sold the wheels, there was nothing he could do to help me. I had already pointed out that their policy was that the wheels were none returnable and that I knew that and accepted that. I asked that, if American Muscle was not going to work with me to just tell me that in writing and I would move to the next step.

I have to tell you that Brian's attitude was that I was just 100% wrong in pursing this matter past American Muscle's position and that I was the one being unreasonable.

You know what the question is that has never come from American Muscle? "Mr. Clark, it looks like you have done what you can to lower your loss, just what is it that you want from us that would make it fair in your eyes?"

On a lighter note, he did tell me that he had responded to an e-mail from a Mr. Bruno (mywickedshelby) telling him why American Muscle could not or would not do anything. Michael, maybe you should send him the link to this thread and see what happens. As for me, I will follow through on this on my own.

Jim

Jim,

To date, I have not received any response, email or otherwise, from American Muscle.

Looks like more misrepresentation on their part.

Interesting as Brian said he had responded to an e-mail from Mr. Bruno.

Jim

Here was my reply:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

support@amercianmuscle.com

never could spell haha, but I can count! :hysterical:

I think thats FU in computer lingo :hysterical:

I resent it to the proper address..

I called American Muscle yesterday and talked with a manager, Brian. It was a perplexing call. After being told to send my letter to the Legal Department, I find out from Brian that there is no such department. Brian did not have my letters or e-mails and could not find them. He got somewhat agitated with me when I was polite but persistent in telling him that I was going to pursue legal action if American Muscle did not want to work with me but, in the end, he, pretty much, got it back together.

But here is the kicker, I mentioned to him that I had done everything that the law requires, in particular, mitigated my damages by selling the wheels. He responded with, "You sold the wheels?!?" He saw that as, and I quote, "morally wrong" and asked me how I could sell the wheels and then come back on American Muscle.

I asked him if he was a lawyer and he said he was not. I explained to him that, under the law, I am required to do what I can to lower the amount of my loss. He did not seem to understand that. We went round and round and I suggested that he have whoever it is that does their legal work just give me a call and that, in five minutes, I could probably take care of things, one way or the other. He did not seem too warm to that idea.

I asked him if he would provide me with the name of their Agent for Service of Process so I could move things through the legal system. I told Brian I was not upset with him and just wanted to get it resolved through the legal system if American Muscle declined to even talk with me about doing something fair.

I asked to speak with whoever was higher up in authority than Brian and he did not seem to care for that question either. His final statement was because I had sold the wheels, there was nothing he could do to help me. I had already pointed out that their policy was that the wheels were none returnable and that I knew that and accepted that. I asked that, if American Muscle was not going to work with me to just tell me that in writing and I would move to the next step.

I have to tell you that Brian's attitude was that I was just 100% wrong in pursing this matter past American Muscle's position and that I was the one being unreasonable.

You know what the question is that has never come from American Muscle? "Mr. Clark, it looks like you have done what you can to lower your loss, just what is it that you want from us that would make it fair in your eyes?"

On a lighter note, he did tell me that he had responded to an e-mail from a Mr. Bruno (mywickedshelby) telling him why American Muscle could not or would not do anything. Michael, maybe you should send him the link to this thread and see what happens. As for me, I will follow through on this on my own.

Jim

Well Jim, it sounds like you have this well under control, albeit under different circumstances than you would prefer.

I hope you get quick resolution on this so you can focus your attention on enjoying your new wheels.

Dan

Archived