TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Disappointing Policy of American Muscle

My American Muscle wheels do not clear my rear (yes, rear) brakes and they will not take them back.

After “forever” trying to decide which wheels to get, I decided on GT4s, 9” in front and 10” in back. On the web site, both the 9” and the 10” carried the same description: “The distinctive design of the GT4 Supercar. Clearance for large brake calipers & rotors. Hypercoated for dramatic "liquid mercury" effect.” The 10” carried this additional description: “18x10 - Rear Only.”

When I got the wheels, before I did anything else, I checked to make sure the fronts (9”) cleared the brakes. They did. I did not check the rears. I had my tires mounted (at a cost of $120), went to put the wheels on the rear and they did not clear the brakes.

I e-mailed American Muscle three times, and wrote them a snail mail letter. I did not get a reply. I contacted them by phone on 09-29-09, and, while they were nice, they told me I was out of luck and they would not take back wheels to which tires had been mounted. That I relied on their web site representation about clearance was unpersuasive.

As you might guess, I do not see that as fair when I relied on their representation about clearance. I am looking into other options to achieve something approaching fair. What I ask of you is that you think twice about buying from American Muscle. In the marketplace, one of the most effective ways to deal with perceived unfairness by a vendor is to not buy from that vendor.

While I will not buy from them again, it will speak louder if other TS members make that same choice. While, in hindsight, I should have checked the back wheels before mounting tires, I still think American Muscle is being less than fair in affirmatively telling the customer that the wheel will fit over big brakes when it will not and then, in essence, saying what we tell customers in our web site does not matter.

Anyone want to buy some brand new wheels (seriously)?

Jim

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the fronts clear the rear brakes? If so you could find someone to take rears off your hands and purchase another set of 9's or 9.5's for the rear.

Either way that blows that American Muscle will not help you out. I've always had good luck with them on returns.

Will the fronts clear the rear brakes? If so you could find someone to take rears off your hands and purchase another set of 9's or 9.5's for the rear.

Either way that blows that American Muscle will not help you out. I've always had good luck with them on returns.

The fronts will fit on the back but they are only 9" and I am uncomfortable running 285s on 9" rims.

Jim

Doesn't the AP racing rear brake kit fit the stock oem rear wheel 18X9.5 ? If so then why would it NOT work with your 18x10 GT4 WHEELS?

Yep, they sure do, which is why I am running those wheels now.

Jim

Doesn't the AP racing rear brake kit fit the stock oem rear wheel 18X9.5 ? If so then why would it NOT work with your 18x10 GT4 WHEELS?

Back spacing.

What do you think about running spacers and longer studs if needed?

Ken, didnt you say that the stock SGT wheels would work with big brakes with the proper spacer and longer studs? Maybe the same with the GT4 wheels.

This really sux Jim, really. I was hoping they would take them back. You should send them another certified letter on your letterhead. hehehe. Hope you can unload them soon. Hope to see pics of your car wearing her new shoes soon, and I don't mean the GT4's. :drool::baby:

Chris

Back spacing.

What do you think about running spacers and longer studs if needed?

Ken, didnt you say that the stock SGT wheels would work with big brakes with the proper spacer and longer studs? Maybe the same with the GT4 wheels.

I don't want to race with spacers, with or without longer studs. Plus, that would make the wheels stick out too far IMHO.

Jim

This is BS Jim. I won't buy from American Muscle, unless they make this right for you. Good luck man.

Ken

I can certainly go along with this. They were on my list of sites I check when I'm looking to buy something.

That makes three of us...

Thanks, everyone.

You know, I thought about telling them that I was am active member of TS and that I am an attorney but I thought the appropriate way to approach it was as just another customer. I figured I would find out what I needed to know that way and I did. I have a letter out to their legal department by snail mail so we will see if they step up. If they do, I will be the first to report that fact here on TS.

Jim

damn i liked using them but all for one one for all :beerchug:

+1

...and as DubbsFaris said, there are plenty of vendors out there to choose from. We rely on these aftermarket companies to forewarn us of any possible concerns with the products they sell. If they don't and something happens, they should make things right!

While hoping not to get flamed too badly it has always been the industry practice that if you mount tires onto new wheels you now own the wheels. Doesn't matter if the wheels are never bolted to the car. Most wheel manufacturers affix a label to new wheels or print on the box stating this.

After viewing the A-M websites return policy they clearly say they will not accept mounted wheels for a return:

10. At no time will used, mounted or balanced wheels (including Wheel/Tire Packages) be accepted for return. Damage done to wheels during mounting or balancing will not be covered by AmericanMuscle.com. Customers will be responsible for checking wheels for damage before they are mounted and/or balanced. Installation costs/mounting and balancing fees will not be covered by AmericanMuscle.com for any returned product. Any wheels returned incomplete (i.e. missing center caps, etc.) will be refused or returned to you at your expense.

So the question is were you misled by their catalog description that says: Clearance for large brake calipers & rotors.

That's a gray area that can be argued either way. Should A-M have refunded your money? My opinion is yes if they wanted to keep you a happy customer. Obviously they did not. Are they required by law to return your money? Most judges would rule they are not.

Hopefully people are still with me and not starting to compose a flaming reply. Let me add the OP still has a chance at a resolution in his favor. If he purchased the wheels with a credit card he can dispute the purchase with the card issuer and let them duke it out with A-M with a high chance of successful outcome. In addition some credit cards have customer satisfaction benefits where they extend factory warranties, replace stolen items and some even will offer a refund if the customer is not happy with their purchase.

Something to look into for a quicker resolution.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yours is a valid point. And, yes, I got misled by the statement in the ad on their website that said they would fit over big brakes. From my view both American Muscle and I have valid points. A prime question would be, was my reliance on what their ad said reasonable. The fact that they mention big brake clearance for a wheel that specifically says is for the rear only would tend to decrease their chances of prevailing. A Judge would ask American Muscle, "What was your business purpose in telling the customer that the wheel would fit over big rear brakes?" The answer would have to be, "To assure a customer with big brakes on the rear that the wheel would fit." That is where their problem begins. Add to that the return policy does not advise the customer to check fitment before mounting tires to the wheels and you can see that their position is tough to defend. The return policy speaks to defects and damage only.

My issue with American Muscle is that they know what is, and is not, in their return policy. I am sure that, by now, someone there has realized that what is in their ad about fitting over rear big brakes is not true. A good business, with an objective view of things, would say to itself, "Shoot, our customer's only problem was that he trusted what we wrote in the ad. Best we reach out to that customer and try and make it right for both of us." We will find out what American Muscle is all about in the next few days.

Thanks for posting up, Steve. You are pretty well informed when you post and that is always welcome.

Jim

I think from what you sre saying you would win. Take it to Judge Judy and she will straighten them out. They are saying one thing and doing another and it is in black and white. copy it off and go see Judy.

Jim

It's all about customer service and it looks like A-M is lacking in that department.

Instead of blowing you off they would have been better off by offering you a store credit, changing their description and eating the little bit of money they will lose by selling the wheels as "used". But instead they've lost you as a repeat customer and have also potentially lost sales from other Shelby owners. They really missed looking at the big picture.

While looking at their website I noticed that you can leave a review for the wheels. Might not be a bad idea to write a review that they don't fit all large brakes and also throw in there that A-M does not budge from their strict no returns policy. I would try to compose the review so that A-M wont remove it once its posted.

I understand your situation and truly understand the disappointment you must have felt when you went to bolt on your new bling and finding out it would not fit. Thats no fun at all.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that you find some different wheels that perhaps you may end up liking better than the gt4 wheels.

Steve

I have purchased alot of items from Mustang Tuning, which is now American Muscle since January 2005. One of the items was my SLP Axle Back Exhaust. Just last year there was a rattle on the passenger side. I called American Muscle and they in turned faxed me the invoice from the orginal purchase in 2005. SLp in turn sent me another SLP Exhaust on the passenger side. No questions asked. Customer service was there from both American Muscle and SLP.

I hope that American Muscle will understand your side. By the way, I have always tried to order through Chris. Chris is a very fair person.

Tom

Lets keep our fingers crossed that you find some different wheels that perhaps you may end up liking better than the gt4 wheels.

Steve

Steve,

As luck would have it, that already happened. As I was trying to figure out what I would do now, I noted that a member had posted a set of KR wheels. I bought them and they got here last Friday. Had they been posted before I had my experience with American Muscle, I would have been able to avoid all the drama. As you might suspect, the KR's look very nice.

Jim

Archived