TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non HID vs HID

bonefish

I am looking to buy and I just found one helluva a deal on a 2008 GT500..NEW! It has no nav...but, that is no biggie as I hear it ain;t that great anyway...and no HID. I can fix the nav issue with aftermarket. Not sure if you can replace non HID with HID? Does it really matter? Anyone got pics of both?

I am looking to buy and I just found one helluva a deal on a 2008 GT500..NEW! It has no nav...but, that is no biggie as I hear it ain;t that great anyway...and no HID. I can fix the nav issue with aftermarket. Not sure if you can replace non HID with HID? Does it really matter? Anyone got pics of both?

You can but it will set you back about a grand to swap the factory headlights.

Roger

I, too, was all cranked up on the HID's, especially when I was shopping for a SGT. After I bought the GT 500, the headlights were so much better than anything I was driving at the time, I decided to let it slide. On the other hand, I'd still love to have the factory nav unit!

You can install aftermarket HIDs for Hi and Low beam and Fogs for under 300.

I LIKE the factory nav system. Its Factory. It works like OEM. The touchscreen radio functions are great and it sounds MUCH better than the shaker units. The navigation funcitons work well and the menu systems are very intuitive. It is more than a comparable aftermarket system but that's aftermarket and subject to breakins and thefts and NEVER look right in the dash.

The Nav radio can be added for about $1400 after the fact if the car you found does not have it.

You can install aftermarket HIDs for Hi and Low beam and Fogs for under 300.

I LIKE the factory nav system. Its Factory. It works like OEM. The touchscreen radio functions are great and it sounds MUCH better than the shaker units. The navigation funcitons work well and the menu systems are very intuitive. It is more than a comparable aftermarket system but that's aftermarket and subject to breakins and thefts and NEVER look right in the dash.

The Nav radio can be added for about $1400 after the fact if the car you found does not have it.

Good information...I may pass or not worry about nav out of the gate then if it is that simple to add later. That is for those who have Shaker 500..right? I hear it is not possible with Shaker 1000.

HID...I will probably get.

The "regular" halogen headlight system on a GT500 is very good imho. They are bright and shine very far ahead of the vehicle. The best I have seen so far. Personally, I think the HID option is a waste of money- only because the halogen system is very good.

The "regular" halogen headlight system on a GT500 is very good imho. They are bright and shine very far ahead of the vehicle. The best I have seen so far. Personally, I think the HID option is a waste of money- only because the halogen system is very good.

I too am impressed with my standard halogen system.

Thanks everyone. Seems to be a 50/50 on the HID vs. Non HID. Guess I won't worry to much about that. I'll either get it or not depending on the deal on the car.

Got few cars out there I am working...hopefully I can join you guys soon as a Shelby owner!!!

HID's require a different reflector to get proper results, just replacing the halogen bulbs with HID's is frankly . . . stupid.

AMEN to that - I see sooooo many cars going around with aftermarket HID bulbs, but still with the stock (incorrect) reflectors. They just don't work that way - aiming/focus is way off and you get a lot of splash over and back scatter. But I guess they like the pretty blue lights... :headscratch:

I've had (stock) HID's in a few cars now, and they far outshine *pardon the pun* regular halogens.

AMEN to that - I see sooooo many cars going around with aftermarket HID bulbs, but still with the stock (incorrect) reflectors. They just don't work that way - aiming/focus is way off and you get a lot of splash over and back scatter. But I guess they like the pretty blue lights... :headscratch:

I've had (stock) HID's in a few cars now, and they far outshine *pardon the pun* regular halogens.

Then neither of you have seen the ones I mentioned above. I've had several factory ones (BMW, Mercedes, Even the Evo) and the ones I have now are brighter by far and as many deer as I see with them there is no way I'd drive without them in my car.

Then neither of you have seen the ones I mentioned above. I've had several factory ones (BMW, Mercedes, Even the Evo) and the ones I have now are brighter by far and as many deer as I see with them there is no way I'd drive without them in my car.

Then try reading and enlighten yourself:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html

I have driven a rental Mustang that had the factory HIDs and frankly, my aftermarket conversion HIDs in my Shelby are MUCH better. I think the reflector assemblies in the GT500 are much better than the scatter lenses used in that article.

On the Nav, if the car is a S500 upgrading is plug n play. If its a S1000, it requires a bit of wiring to make the factory amp and sub functional again.

Did you read the entire article, they may "seem" better but your eyes don't tell the whole story. Having a bright foreground isn't what will give you the best vision, you may perceive it being better but that doesn't make it so.

I'm not new to HIDs like I said I have had several cars with them now and the aftermarket ones I have are brighter. I could care less about how the beam is supposed to be reflected. I just know these light up more of the night than the factory ones. So if you want to waste the extra money on buying the Ford ones go ahead. I know real world vs your quoted website is different and that's enough for me and that's why I recommended them.

I didn't waste my money purchasing them, I paid for a car with them already installed by Ford. If you don't care about putting extra light in the other drivers eyes, it's not my problem, I'll never see your car, I live across the country.

I have had some experience with LED headlamps and I like them even more than HID. Too bad they are only available as 7" round at this time. I have them on my 10 ton 8x8 military truck and they are awesome.

Archived