TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs Z28

Maxhenry

Camaro5.com is reporting on an interview with one of the camaro engineers, who implies that the Z28 may get the LS7 or LS9 engine. There are also reports that it may get the LSA.

This is all great news, as Ford will now have to step up the GT500 to compete with this.

We are living during another golden age of HP.

Camaro5.com is reporting on an interview with one of the camaro engineers, who implies that the Z28 may get the LS7 or LS9 engine. There are also reports that it may get the LSA.

This is all great news, as Ford will now have to step up the GT500 to compete with this.

We are living during another golden age of HP.

You can buy 700 HP today it's called a super snake . Motor trend did an article on the Best Driver's Car . The Shelby GT500 scored higher than the ZR1 with 638HP and the best numbers in all catagories . This HP war is here right now and wanting more isn't allways the answer. This article bragged about how the GT500 was much improved over last years GT500 in handling and fun to drive.The ZR1 you would think was the ultimate Corvette . Yeah it is if you live on a race track , drive it @ it's limits everyday. Motor Trend said the ZR1 is like a girlfriend . "That's one of those relationships where it is thrilling and exciting, but you never know if she's going to knife you in the back ". The Corvette has so much HP that the average car guy does not have the skills to flat out drive it. I think the 2010 GT500 is @ the zenith of all around performance . This is the best Mustang EVER. Enjoy what you have @ 540 Hp mod it if you want more, but don't expect Ford to keep up this HP war. I think we are @ the peak right now and are teetering on losing all this . One more major Gas spike and it's over. We need to keep a lower profile and 800 HP won't help us.

Sorry for the rant.

Mach 1,

Not a rant at all. Your observations are all objective and accurate. I would go so far as to say we horsepower junkies are living on borrowed time right now. Look at Ford's Eco-Boost engine series. Ford is trying to preserve the power while living with the realities of increasing government regulations.

Jim

The website does state estimated 4k pounds which would make sense.

Roger

The Z/28 will need more power than a GT500 to compete. The current SS is the same weight as the projected aluminum block 2011 GT500. Once Chevy throws the blower and all associated hardware on the current car it will weigh 250lbs more than the GT500.

You can buy 700 HP today it's called a super snake . Motor trend did an article on the Best Driver's Car . The Shelby GT500 scored higher than the ZR1 with 638HP and the best numbers in all catagories . This HP war is here right now and wanting more isn't allways the answer. This article bragged about how the GT500 was much improved over last years GT500 in handling and fun to drive.The ZR1 you would think was the ultimate Corvette . Yeah it is if you live on a race track , drive it @ it's limits everyday. Motor Trend said the ZR1 is like a girlfriend . "That's one of those relationships where it is thrilling and exciting, but you never know if she's going to knife you in the back ". The Corvette has so much HP that the average car guy does not have the skills to flat out drive it. I think the 2010 GT500 is @ the zenith of all around performance . This is the best Mustang EVER. Enjoy what you have @ 540 Hp mod it if you want more, but don't expect Ford to keep up this HP war. I think we are @ the peak right now and are teetering on losing all this . One more major Gas spike and it's over. We need to keep a lower profile and 800 HP won't help us.

Sorry for the rant.

I totally agree with what you said about our 2010s being at the top of its game. I am super duper pleased with the car. I think it is a car that will be revered many years from now as one of the greatest muscle cars ever. Ford nailed it on this one, in my opinion.

yeah HP is cool for a pissing contest. But can it be put to the ground and make the car work well? Also like others said Gas Guzzler tax would kill us. And I know high HP can be made with small displacement and can get good MPG, but I just don't see the GT500 with a Twin-turbo V-6. Friend of mine has a 300zx that was an NA motor converted to Twins. he can boost close to 30lb if he wants and put down close to 700hp. And yes all this with V-6, but the really cool part is via his boost controller he can dial down and pull well into the mid to high 20mpg range.

So as we all know High HP and good MPG can go hand in hand, but just how do you make it work in a car that has been known for having a V-8?

Could always go Diesel??????? lol Mercedes has a 4-door running 12's and gets over 30mpg

yeah HP is cool for a pissing contest. But can it be put to the ground and make the car work well? Also like others said Gas Guzzler tax would kill us. And I know high HP can be made with small displacement and can get good MPG, but I just don't see the GT500 with a Twin-turbo V-6. Friend of mine has a 300zx that was an NA motor converted to Twins. he can boost close to 30lb if he wants and put down close to 700hp. And yes all this with V-6, but the really cool part is via his boost controller he can dial down and pull well into the mid to high 20mpg range.

So as we all know High HP and good MPG can go hand in hand, but just how do you make it work in a car that has been known for having a V-8?

Could always go Diesel??????? lol Mercedes has a 4-door running 12's and gets over 30mpg

Who ever said anything about a twin turbo V-6? I was referring to a twin turbo 5.0L V-8.

Who ever said anything about a twin turbo V-6? I was referring to a twin turbo 5.0L V-8.

I did, just talking about different ways to obtain high hp combined with good MPG. TT 5.0...This will be interesting. I guess Ford was happy with the way the TT design worked in the SuperDuty.

That engine compartment is going to be packed.

Just my 2 cents...The only car GM has to throw up against the GT500 is a factory modified RS vette, see Nov '09 C&D. Now, if we were to consider a 400+ hp, 400+ tq, 3400ish lbs, curve carver, the Z/28 won't stand a chance. That car, switch over to the BOSS forum and look at some of those discussions.

If there ever is a car such as this, I just might consider swapping my '10 GT500 otherwise, no dice...

BTW, SKIPH, how did you come across that cert. I want one!

Just my 2 cents...The only car GM has to throw up against the GT500 is a factory modified RS vette, see Nov '09 C&D. Now, if we were to consider a 400+ hp, 400+ tq, 3400ish lbs, curve carver, the Z/28 won't stand a chance. That car, switch over to the BOSS forum and look at some of those discussions.

If there ever is a car such as this, I just might consider swapping my '10 GT500 otherwise, no dice...

BTW, SKIPH, how did you come across that cert. I want one!

[/quote

The certificates are available from the Ford Performance Group, 800-367-3788, they are $45. You will need the last 6 of your vin#. They may not be available for 10 models until sometime next year. Good luck

Archived