TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Break in

OldSchool

Typically, I put about 1K miles on my cars at varying speeds in order to "break in" the motor before I really start putting a lot of load on it.

Is this necessary with the 10 Shelby?

I have heard different people say that with newer cars this is no longer needed.

Not needed. You can drive it like you stole it from day one.

Speedo. The red SVT logo in the center. When the lights are on at night, the whole speedo color setup will turn red too.

I knew the SVT logo would light up at the shift point but did not know the whole speedometer would turn red as well as the shift point. That is pretty damn cool. :yahoo:

My car is suppose to show up at the dealer this weekend. Kinda nervous and excited at the same time.

I knew the SVT logo would light up at the shift point but did not know the whole speedometer would turn red as well as the shift point. That is pretty damn cool. :yahoo:

My car is suppose to show up at the dealer this weekend. Kinda nervous and excited at the same time.

Yeah mine did it last night. 1st time I hit shiftpoint with the lights on.

Typically, I put about 1K miles on my cars at varying speeds in order to "break in" the motor before I really start putting a lot of load on it.

I have heard different people say that with newer cars this is no longer needed.

The manual does say it has a 1,000 mile break in period. Just read through it yesterday.

Hey Guys,

As your "Call Sign" OLD SCHOOL says I'm very old school and although the new cars don't REQUIRE any "Break-In" I always take it a bit easy at least the first 500 Miles or so...especially on the brakes....Heck, I'm so bad I don't even run my AC for the first few hundred miles because I don't want any "extra strain" on the engine.... :finger::hysterical: This is WAY over the top; but I don't know; I've always said "Better safe than sorry" BUT you DO want some racuous driving to ensure the valves seat properly I suppose etc. etc. There are many thoughts on this though. As far as the manual saying it...you very well may be correct; I THOUGHT I saw that in the Manual on my '08 BULLITT but I'll be damned if I can recall where.....

Anyway, GOOD Luck w/ your new toy and ENJOY it no matter what!! :happy feet: :shift:

Ive heard of people saying they saw this in the manual, but I have read all of mine cover to cover including the supplement and not seen this. Can you reference the page and which manual?

I've heard a lot of mixed answers on the subject. I'm picking my car up on Friday and I'm really gunna just take it easy for a month. I recommend the same to everyone else but I'm no mechanic. If you ask anyone from the dealership, they might tell you to drive it like you stole it because they might wanna see a pile of smoke before you drive off with their dream car. Just be a bit sensitive for a month, slow down, and get used to driving it. There's enough new cool stuff in the interior to help you struggle through those first few weeks.

Well said -- very sage advice. Get used to driving it is easier said than done I'm sure! The anticipation of that itself IF I'm fortunate enough to land one of my very own keeps me "pumped" to get up and try again everyday~!! :dance:

I've heard a lot of mixed answers on the subject. I'm picking my car up on Friday and I'm really gunna just take it easy for a month. I recommend the same to everyone else but I'm no mechanic. If you ask anyone from the dealership, they might tell you to drive it like you stole it because they might wanna see a pile of smoke before you drive off with their dream car. Just be a bit sensitive for a month, slow down, and get used to driving it. There's enough new cool stuff in the interior to help you struggle through those first few weeks.

:shift::shift:

I don't know if it's strictly necessary, but it can't hurt and that's more or less what I did; I built up the revs, load, and speed until I hit the 1000 mile mark last weekend and am now ready to roll........... :shift:

......once I get it lowered that is ;)

Regards, Ian

Ive heard of people saying they saw this in the manual, but I have read all of mine cover to cover including the supplement and not seen this. Can you reference the page and which manual?

Top of page 6 of the regular manual.........I guess I read into it a bit too much.....but it does so the Mustang "does not need an extensive break in period"..............then "do not drive it at continuous speeds for the first 1,000 miles". I read that as a 1,000 mile break in period...otherwise they would've left extensive out. :headscratch:

If break in was that important then they would have put dino oil and not synthetic. Synthetic oil is not good for "breaking in" a new motor. It actually lubricates too well and does not allow parts to seat or bond correctly. So seeing as this car is delivered with synthetic oil.....well there you go.

Archived