TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headrest Adjustment

2sharpie

Is it just me, or does it feel like the headrests on our cars are awkwardly pushing forward? Is there anyway to adjust them so it doesnt look like we are trying to excercise our chins touching our chest??? I don't want to lean my seat ghetto-style just to be able to look forward!!

Yeah, I agree with your impressions 2sharpie. But honestly...the headrests in my previous cars were all useless...at least with this one, I know that they are there. There are times where my head actually "rests" on the headrests.

I think it may just be something that should have been like this all along..and now it's taking some getting used to. :shrug:

The headrests should actually be touching the back of your head. The point of them is to limit whiplash in a collision.

My 05 Acura daily driver is the same way. It took me about a year to get used to it. I finally got it adjusted up and down to where I was comfortable. But if I am sitting properly the headrest still touches the back of my head.

Plus if you have your foot on the skinny pedal you will probably push the headrest straight over time anyway. :happy feet:

The headrest position, the two piece driveshaft, and several other design features came over from the safety guru's at Volvo. As OldSchool stated, the headrests are positioned to prevent whiplash, and the Swede's reasearch found that headrests that are tilted forward are better for WL prevention.

The headrest position, the two piece driveshaft, and several other design features came over from the safety guru's at Volvo. As OldSchool stated, the headrests are positioned to prevent whiplash, and the Swede's reasearch found that headrests that are tilted forward are better for WL prevention.

OMG!! my gt500 used a Volvo as a design model!!

Big head?

Actually, mine feels fine. Touches perfectly...I do not need to lean back too far to chill and relax on long commutes home. Very comfortable. I think your head type missed the ergonomic study done by Ford.

Hahaha........no I'm just not used to that type of headrest! You have to admit it is a bit unique, to say the least. Most cars headrests pretty much go straight up, not tilt forward.

To get the head restraints in a comfortable position, the seatback needs to be adjusted on an angle slightly back, then the head restraints won't lean so far forward.

I did that yesterday........definitely feels a lot better. I just don't want to have that ghetto-lean............but luckily I'm too short for that!!!!!! :hysterical:

The recline thing did not work for me, dont like the feeling of reaching for the wheel. And if I do the recline and move the seat forward my knees are in the dash, so no real quick fix beside turning it backward (which looks like crap) but I just had to do something. And I am your average 5'10" 185lbs

So glad to hear we aren't the only ones with this problem. Myself @ 6' and my girl @ 5'3" both have sore necks after

riding in the car after only a few minutes. I think the head rests should be slightly adjustable at least.

I am going to pull mine apart and see if the internal shape can be modified easily. If not, I think I will make

some that offer a good amount of adjustment for those of us having this problem. Anybody be interested in a

great looking billet head rest with some adjustment and a nicely upholstered pad?

Was this a change in the 2010 model?

I have had headrest that angle forward in some other cars that I have owned and have always found them to be more supportive in that they are actually touching the back of your head at all times and providing support and keeping your head upright naturally. Everyone's different I know but I prefer this type of headrest.

All,

The way that you are supposed to adjust these is to move the headrest up in it's tracks; as you do that it effectively moves the headrest rearward, due to it's shape. In other words, if it tilts your head too far forward for your comfort, then lift the headrest up more until your head can move back to where your comfortable.

Make sense?

• 1 year later...

This is not just a Ford thing. This is one of the solutions to a federal regulation. Other manufacturer's have equally uncomfortable head rests. As I like to sit fairly vertical, it was not acceptable to me. I modified mine. I took it out, removed the cover, split the foam, CAREFULLY, bent the metal and reassembled. Pictures are here:

Methinks there's an excellent opportunity here for an aftermarket accessory entrpreneur, to come up with a replacement headrest that's on an adjustable, selectable pivot. Or at least the older style of just a small cylinder-shaped rest instead of this current guillotine.

The existing headrest is especially annoying on the manual passenger seat. Eventually I am going to convert it to power, so that the seat-tilt feature can alleviate the problem somewhat.

• 1 month later...

Archived