TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2nd gear launch?

BoneDoc

When I got the SS back I took her to the drag strip with stock rubber. big mistake. Even here in denver where we lose 20% power due to lack of oxygen, it was difficult.

I actually ran slower times in the SS compared to when it was standard GT500 because all i was doing was spinning.

I dont race every day but I am not a beginner. I have made maybe 30 passes last 2 years in my GT500 and got some pretty good times out of her considering the altitude here.

I am planning another trip to the track this weds (Bandimere in Denver)... now have 3" pulley, Jon Lund Race gas tune, and 305/35/18 Nittos (my old rear wheels from pre-SS days)

I think that changing to 3.73 is a bad move in these cars because there is too much power for a gear that steep. 1st gear is useless. seems that the spinning and shifting from first to second actually may lose you time.

has anyone with a similar setup launched in 2nd gear? there is plenty of power, would cause less issues with traction and would make it a 2 shift quarter mile (2-3 and 3-4 shift only)

comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
When I got the SS back I took her to the drag strip with stock rubber. big mistake. Even here in denver where we lose 20% power due to lack of oxygen, it was difficult.

I actually ran slower times in the SS compared to when it was standard GT500 because all i was doing was spinning.

I dont race every day but I am not a beginner. I have made maybe 30 passes last 2 years in my GT500 and got some pretty good times out of her considering the altitude here.

I am planning another trip to the track this weds (Bandimere in Denver)... now have 3" pulley, Jon Lund Race gas tune, and 305/35/18 Nittos (my old rear wheels from pre-SS days)

I think that changing to 3.73 is a bad move in these cars because there is too much power for a gear that steep. 1st gear is useless. seems that the spinning and shifting from first to second actually may lose you time.

has anyone with a similar setup launched in 2nd gear? there is plenty of power, would cause less issues with traction and would make it a 2 shift quarter mile (2-3 and 3-4 shift only)

comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Ron

2nd launch = bad idea

• 3 weeks later...

Archived