TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 Brake Upgrade

I bought a set of GT500 brakes (calipers, pads, rotors, and hoses) about a month ago and I finally had a chance to install them this afternoon. The install went pretty smooth and it was a completely bolt on swap. I also added R1 Concepts drilled / slotted rotors and I picked up dusts shields online from Team Ford. A couple of useful torque specifications: Brake caliper to knuckle bolts -- 85 lbs/ft and brake hose to caliper banjo bolt -- 30 lbs/ft. The rotor pic is my old Rotorpros GT front rotors compared to the new R1 Concepts GT 500 rotors.

I was pleased my 18" CS69 wheels fit over the GT500 brakes as advertised. Most 18" rims will not fit over these brakes (including stock SGT wheels).

I took it for a short test drive and the pedal was firm and the brakes had good bite. I'll have to get them broken in before I really push them.

post-3252-1254110728_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110747_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110760_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110773_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110728_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110747_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110760_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1254110773_thumb.jpg

I bought a set of GT500 brakes (calipers, pads, rotors, and hoses) about a month ago and I finally had a chance to install them this afternoon. The install went pretty smooth and it was a completely bolt on swap. I also added R1 Concepts drilled / slotted rotors and I picked up dusts shields online from Team Ford. A couple of useful torque specifications: Brake caliper to knuckle bolts -- 85 lbs/ft and brake hose to caliper banjo bolt -- 30 lbs/ft. The rotor pic is my old Rotorpros GT front rotors compared to the new R1 Concepts GT 500 rotors.

I was pleased my 18" CS69 wheels fit over the GT500 brakes as advertised. Most 18" rims will not fit over these brakes (including stock SGT wheels).

I took it for a short test drive and the pedal was firm and the brakes had good bite. I'll have to get them broken in before a really push them.

Good work, looks nice!!

I took it for a short test drive and the pedal was firm and the brakes had good bite. I'll have to get them broken in before a really push them.

Very Nice. This is the setup I am wanting to install on the GT-H. Great pics too. Thanks.

Did you go with DOT 4 brake fluid?

It was recommended to me to use DOT4 when I went on the track with the GT-H, that's why I ask.

Great car.......Enjoy.

Very Nice. This is the setup I am wanting to install on the GT-H. Great pics too. Thanks.

Did you go with DOT 4 brake fluid?

It was recommended to me to use DOT4 when I went on the track with the GT-H, that's why I ask.

Great car.......Enjoy.

I flushed a bit of the fluid out of the front calipers and bled the brake system. I used Ford DOT 3 fluid. Since this is a convertible without a roll bar, it doesn't see track time. Also, IMO I would either use the OEM GT500 rotors or only slotted rotors on the track. I've heard too many stories of drilled rotors cracking at the track.

I drove the car to work yesterday and just in the normal commute, I could tell the difference. The pedal feel is similar, but a bit firmer. I had one quick stop in traffic and these brakes definitely have more bite. They look fantastic as well!

I flushed a bit of the fluid out of the front calipers and bled the brake system. I used Ford DOT 3 fluid. Since this is a convertible without a roll bar, it doesn't see track time. Also, IMO I would either use the OEM GT500 rotors or only slotted rotors on the track. I've heard too many stories of drilled rotors cracking at the track.

I drove the car to work yesterday and just in the normal commute, I could tell the difference. The pedal feel is similar, but a bit firmer. I had one quick stop in traffic and these brakes definitely have more bite. They look fantastic as well!

Hey Thanks.

Question.

Is this install simply a remove and replace job?

Do I simply purchase the GT500 calipers and rotors,lines and swap them out? Any other parts needed. Do the the brackets for the calipers line up, spacers?

I ask this because I want to do this myself and I only have basic knowledge and basic tools. I want to know if I need to bring the car into a shop for this conversion.

Thanks alot............Philip

Hey Thanks.

Question.

Is this install simply a remove and replace job?

Do I simply purchase the GT500 calipers and rotors,lines and swap them out? Any other parts needed. Do the the brackets for the calipers line up, spacers?

I ask this because I want to do this myself and I only have basic knowledge and basic tools. I want to know if I need to bring the car into a shop for this conversion.

Thanks alot............Philip

It can be done by any weekend warrior really, it is a basic swap and bleeding. These brakes are great on the SGT's. Look around the deals are out there. The main concern many people have is the clearance with different wheels.

Most 20 inch wheels will fit though.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

It can be done by any weekend warrior really, it is a basic swap and bleeding. These brakes are great on the SGT's. Look around the deals are out there. The main concern many people have is the clearance with different wheels.

Most 20 inch wheels will fit though.

+1. It is a bolt-on swap - no fabrication and all brackets line up. The only special tool you might want to get is a line wrench and they are very cheap and available at auto parts stores. Bleeding the brakes is as difficult as this swap gets and that is a pretty simple procedure.

My brakes are from a GT500 with a couple thousand miles on it that a forum member upgraded to six piston AP Racing brakes. If you don't want to go the used route, you can get a kit for $999 @ www.buyfordracing.com. Instead of the rubber brake lines, this kit includes upgraded front and rear stainless steel brake lines.

As mentioned, wheel fitment is probably the most critical part of the swap. Very few 18" wheels clear (18" SGT wheels do not clear), but most 20" wheels will clear. I actually bolted up one of the Brembo calipers and left the GT caliper still attached to the brake line, tucked behind the strut, so I could check wheel clearance. They fit perfectly. CS Wheel Co. claimed the 18" CS69 fit the GT500, but I had not seen a GT500 with 18" CS69's. I did not want to finish the conversion and find out my wheels didn't fit!!

This is a link to the instructions on the Ford Racing Parts site: Link Here

I took it for a short test drive and the pedal was firm and the brakes had good bite. I'll have to get them broken in before I really push them.

Great thread!

Nice look with the Brembos and it is good to know The 69's really DO allow better brakes.

After Thunderhill, I will look into these if my (slight) upgrade isn't adequate...

Great thread!

Nice look with the Brembos and it is good to know The 69's really DO allow better brakes.

After Thunderhill, I will look into these if my (slight) upgrade isn't adequate...

Has anybody tried wheel spacers with 18" wheels? Just wondering what size spacer might work with the GT500 Brembos.

Has anybody tried wheel spacers with 18" wheels? Just wondering what size spacer might work with the GT500 Brembos.

3/8" spacers will work, but the 1/2" spacers really fill the wheel well perfectly. Griggs Racing sells a good set along with the longer wheel studs you'll need.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
3/8" spacers will work, but the 1/2" spacers really fill the wheel well perfectly. Griggs Racing sells a good set along with the longer wheel studs you'll need.

Ken

Will the spacers allow for the 18" Bullet wheels that come with the car?

I did the GT500 brakes on my GT too. I used the factory wheels with the H&R spacers, it improved the look of the car substantially. It put the wheel flush with the lip on the wheel opening, looks perfect.

Love the brakes, major difference over stock, especially when you start pushing them. Running the Whipple 550 means I push them more often.

I did the GT500 brakes on my GT too. I used the factory wheels with the H&R spacers, it improved the look of the car substantially. It put the wheel flush with the lip on the wheel opening, looks perfect.

Love the brakes, major difference over stock, especially when you start pushing them. Running the Whipple 550 means I push them more often.

post some pics! i'd like to see how it looks!

post some pics! i'd like to see how it looks!

Will our stock rotors work with the GT500 calipers? I have Baer slotted and drilled rotors and SS brake lines. I cant't remember if the stock rotors are 13 or 14 inch. I may only have to purchase the calipers, if they would work with my Baer rotors.

Will our stock rotors work with the GT500 calipers? I have Baer slotted and drilled rotors and SS brake lines. I cant't remember if the stock rotors are 13 or 14 inch. I may only have to purchase the calipers, if they would work with my Baer rotors.

No, you'll need the GT500 14" rotors as well...

Archived