TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H on track

philip 87

Finally had the Gt-H on the track. The car handled great!

Engine performance and suspension mods are fantastic but the stock brakes are lacking.

Upgrading those soon. Wanted to share the fun with you Hertz guy's.

Highly recommend this car for track fun.

CAMARO in my rear view.Where he belongs...LOL.......Philip

post-12875-1254075765_thumb.jpg

post-12875-1254075765_thumb.jpg

Absolutely true about the brakes. Don't count the Camero guys out (check out camero5.com for a high quality forum for those cars) quite yet. They are a bit heavy but with some suspension pieces in place, should be good competition.

Oh, your car looks terrific on the track. Something about that black and gold . . . .

Jim

Absolutely true about the brakes. Don't count the Camero guys out (check out camero5.com for a high quality forum for those cars) quite yet. They are a bit heavy but with some suspension pieces in place, should be good competition.

Oh, your car looks terrific on the track. Something about that black and gold . . . .

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Love your car and particularly like the wheel and brake set up.

What's a brake setup like that costing?

Are those GT500 wheels and rubber?

Philip

Thanks Jim.

Love your car and particularly like the wheel and brake set up.

What's a brake setup like that costing?

Are those GT500 wheels and rubber?

Philip

Hi Philip,

The AP Racing brake set up was $6k for the parts from Stillen. Yes, those are GT500 wheels and tires. Had to have them to clear the brakes. I have been impressed with the set up (255s on the front and 285s on the back) on the track as well. Just bought KR wheels as I am not a huge fan of the looks of the GT500 wheels and a set of KR wheels popped up for sale here on the Forum. I will stick with the Goodyear F1 Supercar rubber on the KR wheels though. Thanks for the kind words on the car. I never get tired of seeing what people do with these cars.

Jim

Looks great Philip. I have the GT500 Brembos sitting in a box that I'm getting ready to put on. Keep asking and looking and you'll find some. I think that is probably the cheapest way to go. I found mine on here about a month back for $250 shipped, for the front calipers and rotors. Stock rears are fine, you for sure need to upgrade the front. I then got Earl's stainless lines through Lethal Performance, best deal on the lines. With those upgrades, you will be much better off. Then upgrade the pads.

Jeff is correct about bang for the buck with the Brembos. If you do nothing more than that it will be like night and day. I would try that and see how it feels. You can always get more serious than that if you feel the need.

Jim

Hey thanks.

I love those brakes Jim. They are not cheap...........Holy $&@#. I did not realize how costly serious brakes are.

I think I will search for take off GT500 Brembos and rotors as Jeff and you recommend. Hope I can find a set.

I had a blast on the track with this little Hertz model. I have SO MUCH TO LEARN. Thought I was gonna lose the car one time.

Went into a turn too hard and spun the car. No damage, but I did mow the grass a bit at MMC........WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :whew:

You guy's have been very helpful........Much Aprreciated.........Philip

PS: If you locate a GT500 Brake setup for sale and don't need it yourself can you drop me a PM? Thanks........Philip

I watched e-bay quite a bit, but so many people are looking for GT500 take off stuff there. They usually go around $500-$600 for the same stuff I got. Watch the GT500 sections. Fellow Shelby owners will usually give you better deals then you'll see on e-bay. Also keep an eye on the Shelby Store. They have a bunch of take off stuff there, but are only currently selling the brake stuff all combined with all the other stuff. Perhaps they will separate that stuff out and sell it for some good prices.

Jim's set up is certainly far superior. Many of the Rolex teams run the AP stuff on Daytona Prototypes and GT cars. Certainly awsome stuff, a bit pricey, but worth it. The Mustang Challenge cars run the stock Brembo stuff on the track and do plenty well. I'm guessing for what you want, the Brembo stuff will do fine. I would highly suggest the stainless lines however, actually a must if you are doing any track stuff. That will also make a huge difference. The Earl's lines are about half the cost of most of the others.

Jeez, did I say "stuff" enough in there?

I would highly suggest the stainless lines however, actually a must if you are doing any track stuff. That will also make a huge difference. The Earl's lines are about half the cost of most of the others.

Jeff is correct again about the stainless steel lines. I got the brakes I got because of the wife I have. She is not a gear head but she said something like, "How do you stop those things at race speeds?" I explained, generally, the conditions and she replied, "When you came back from the 85th B-Day Bash, you said your stock brakes lost ground with every lap and were 'gone' by the end of the day." I said, "True." She said, would it not make sense to spend as much on stopping that thing as you spent to make it go 9 million miles an hour (she may have said 7 million :hysterical: )? That is what led to it all. They are sweet on the track, though.

Jim

... She said, would it not make sense to spend as much on stopping that thing as you spent to make it go 9 million miles an hour (she may have said 7 million :hysterical: )? ...

Jim

What a smart wife! Mayby you make her a nice little present (just around one carat) :roses::roses::roses:

Archived