TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18x11 rear wheel or 18x9.5 rear wheels

What are the pros and cons of each? thanks!

Randy

Anything wider than a 305, you're probably going to have rubbing issues.If your going to try and cram a wide tire in there, you're going to need a watts link to keep the rear end centered. 11" is going to be awfully tight.

Maybe the guys with the oversized wheels could chime in here.

Remember, there's a reason why Shelby only put 275's on the rears. Good luck.

PS. Nice choice on the wheel :)

I have 285's with a 18x9.5 wheel on my car with the SAI rear brake ducts, and believe me, you cannot get any wider of a tire on there with them. I have less than a fingers width of clearance now. I would go with the 285's, our suspension will not let a whole lot wider on there I believe.

Chris

Thanks Guys! So I would assume that the GT500 thread about wheels and tires are not valid on a SGT due to our suspension? Some of those guys are getting 18x11 CCW's on with the right offset...

I love this forum you guys are always helpful! Thanks Dave I agree!

When I was in Vegas Roger Sorel told me that a watts link makes the car a completely different handling animal...guess I NEED one haha!

Chris do you think that your offset on the wheels is the limiting factor or is it the suspension keeping a bigger tire from fitting?

I would assume as in the old days the more tire the better?

68 I assume you mean drag and road race set up? In all honesty my car is a driver and a limited track toy. I do not intend to Drag race it, although you never know...

I have a 56 Dedicated drag car project that I am getting the straight axel for this weekend.

The Shelby is my preferred vehicle of transport. I love the SGT more than any car I have ever had and want it to hook up better!

Thanks Guys! So I would assume that the GT500 thread about wheels and tires are not valid on a SGT due to our suspension? Some of those guys are getting 18x11 CCW's on with the right offset...

68 I assume you mean drag and road race set up? In all honesty my car is a driver and a limited track toy. I do not intend to Drag race it, although you never know...

Yeah, I think there are some GT500 guys running 325s on 11 wides but had to trim a a little so I think the same should work on the SGT, but unsure ...the big width always looks killer to me :)

The only guys I know running 315's or bigger are those with the Griggs '315 kit' installed (rear coil overs with inverted shock mount brackets for clearance).

I know for sure that 305 will clear just fine with no rubbing at all.

305's on an 18x11 rim is the absolute ideal setup, IMO. Good luck Randy!

Ken

p.s. I don't care what you say, the GT500 rims look bitchin! :lol:

Awesome!! 11's it is thanks guys and I sincerly appreciate the input and links I missed the thread about Gordy's car. Wow!

I hear ya on the GT500 wheels Ken, they are cool, to me they just look better on your car haha!

Centerline is telling me that there is a 1-1/2 brake clearance from the mounting pad to the inside wheel face, on the wheel I want. I will need to find the spec and or measure a Brembo mounted on the car. And determine a correct offset, I suppose I can go with what the CCW guys used as it works on the GT500's it will work on ours...

It's amazing to me how much wheelwell they engineered into modern cars. I have rolled quite a few old rear wheelhouse lips with a bat to get clearance for rubber. This is a lot of tire for not having to move sheetmetal around.

I also agree 68 nothing like looking at some rubber.... :rockon: :burnout:

The only guys I know running 315's or bigger are those with the Griggs '315 kit' installed (rear coil overs with inverted shock mount brackets for clearance).

I know for sure that 305 will clear just fine with no rubbing at all.

305's on an 18x11 rim is the absolute ideal setup, IMO. Good luck Randy!

Ken

p.s. I don't care what you say, the GT500 rims look bitchin! :lol:

So Ken you have seen a 11 inch rim work out with 305's with our suspension? I am thinking this is the way I m leaning I do not want to cut or narrow the rear end.

Now I remember why the 11 inch wides were bummin me out last spring...finding a street tire that is in the right size to fit. I like the PS2 from Michelin but no correct size...

Keep looking...anybody have a suggestion that is not a Drag Radial let me know...I need some wet dry street tires for everyday use...

edit: May have to stick with 295's or 285's in a 40 aspect. So now the question is 9.5 or 11 rim for these? Arrrggg I feel like Woody Allen...haha

Nordic your right I can never decide on much .....

The 315/35 is a DR size from what I can tell...I have to keep reminding myself that the SGT is a quick driver for me...

I went w/ 18 x 10.5 and 275's to be on the safe side. Should be fine for my plans which will be mostly street and maybe occasional track, etc. Even w/ the 275's and the 10.5 looks good to me....Craig

I agree looks great Craig!

So what's the verdict old boy McCoy? :lurk:

Man Ken its been a real hard decision and I am liking the GT5oo take offs and the CS wheels even more... :hysterical:

Found out today that Centerlines will not fit with the brakes...I see you are going GT5oo's!!! Cool!

I may even go with CS wheels or Rockets as I am still undecided, one thing is for sure I am needing more grip, too much concentration required at this point haha, its squirrelly with the S/C as I am sure you know...

Man Ken its been a real hard decision and I am liking the GT5oo take offs and the CS wheels even more... :hysterical:

Found out today that Centerlines will not fit with the brakes...I see you are going GT5oo's!!! Cool!

I may even go with CS wheels or Rockets as I am still undecided, one thing is for sure I am needing more grip, too much concentration required at this point haha, its squirrelly with the S/C as I am sure you know...

Yeah man I know what you mean. I really can't drive the car the way I want to. Too much power and not enough traction. I'm hoping the GT5's with wider tread will help ease that a bit, but eventually I need to invest in some REAL tires! :shift:

Archived