TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Help - Rear Suspension Question

I can't afford to do it all at once, but I'm going to do some upgrades to the rear suspension.

My plan is to install improved lower control arms first. Is it critical to do the upper 3rd link at the same time or is it fine to wait?

Or, should I do the panhard bar / brace at the same time?

I'd prefer to do only the lower control arms if that won't cause any issues.

I'm thinking of going with the Steeda because not only will they be an improvement but they will also match the other Ford Racing components in color. Your thoughts on this are welcome also!

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_chro...ontrol_arms.php

http://www.steeda.com/products/panhard_bar_brace.php

http://www.steeda.com/products/tubular_upper_3rd_link.php

Well, you just had to know you were going to get teased when you came out of your cave and decided to modify your car. Happy to be the first to do so. ;)

The debate about "what brand" will make you weary. I went with Metco and the deciding factor was that they were made here in America. I don't know about the Steeda.

I have not heard of anyone doing just the lowers and saving the upper for later. The upper is the bigger PITA because the install involves more effort. I did all of mine at the same time so cannot comment on what you would get and not get doing it in segments.

The adjustible panhard bar will get your wheels centered the same as a Watts Link. If you are not gong to track your car, the panhard bar will get you where you need to go for the street. It did not look like the panhard bar is blue but you can have it powder coated before installation if you want it to match.

As for everything being blue, I like that concept as the Ford blue is a good looking color. On the other hand, billet aluminum goes with anything.

Good luck with your long awaited mods.

Jim

NEW Rear Race Suspension Parts!

With FREE SHIPPING OFFER Sept 23 - Oct 7, 2009*see below for details

If you are looking to dramatically improve your vehicle's response and predictability, then look no further. These all-new suspension parts are designed specifically for your 2005 +up Mustang, all these parts also fit new 2010 Mustangs.

To place an order, visit www.ShelbyPerformanceParts.com or call 702.405.3500 (Mon-Thurs 8am-5pm PST, Fri 8am-4:30pm)

This package includes all of the precision-matched components detailed below at a special price for the ultimate in handling. This kit will dramatically improve your vehicle’s response and predictability. This is suggested for racing and track cars and is not recommended for street use due to increased NVH (noise/vibration/harmonics).

Rear Race Suspension Package 5S3Z-5A000-KIT

Over an $800 value, ONLY $675.00

For any kind of performance orientated driving you need to replace the thin stamped factory control arms to eliminate flex and bushing deflection that can cause erratic changes in your handling. Only the highest grade materials and hardware are used on our suspension components for uncompromised function and safety. All fabricated bars are made from 35mm OD DOM 4130 chromoly tubing, tig welded, stress relieved, and heat treated to stringent specifications. All adjusters are made from 4142 alloy steel. Their adjustable control arms allow you to fine tune your rear suspension alignment and pinion angle on car with right and left hand threads. Rod ends are chromoly PFE Teflon-lined for maximum wear-resistence, strength & durability. Eliminate wheel hop, axle wrap, and maintain precision articulation for predicable handling & stability.

Upper Adjustable Control Arm w/Spherical Ends 5S3Z-5500-BS $199.95 EA

Lower Adjustable Control Arms w/Spherical Ends 5S3Z-5A649-BRRE $239.95 PR

Guaranteed to be the strongest on the market. Only the best materials, heat treat processes, and high grade hardware are used on the Shelby Performance Parts suspension products. Fabricated from tig welded 35mm OD DOM chromoly steel that is stress relieved and heat treated AFTER welding to give the ultimate in strength. Don’t be fooled by other’s chromoly bars that have not undergone strict post-welding treatments. Replaces your weak small tube, rubber bushed factory unit with Shelby Performance Parts’s superior chromoly unit that uses high strength rod ends for heavy duty applications. Eliminate the flex of the thin stamped OEM panhard bar body brace with our tubular replacement. Rod ends are the strongest on the market made from chromoly steel with self lubricating Teflon/Kevlar races. Re-center your rearend on your lowered vehicle with these adjustable panhard bars, and fit the largest tires possible. Right hand and left hand threads on adjustable units allow on car adjustment. Finished in a durable graphite gray powdercoat.

Rear Adjustable Pan Hard Bar w/Spherical End 5S3Z-4264-BRRE $189.95

Rear Panhard Bar Body Brace 5S3Z-4264-B $74.95

The factory upper control arm bracket is a common point of deflection and failure in performance applications since the upper third link see’s a majority of the load. Shelby Performance Parts has eliminated that problem with their heavy duty mount, fabricated from formed chromoly sheet, tig welded, and heat treated. Robust design is twice the thickness of the factory piece. Two mount locations allow for even more suspension adjustment and less pinion angle change throughout the travel. Powder coated in grey finish. A perfect compliment to the Shelby Performance Parts upper control arms.

Rear Upper Control Arm Bracket 5S3Z-5500-MNT $94.95

Details for FREE SHIPPING offer

Must mention "FREE SHIPPING" at time of order (if ordering online, write "FREE SHIPPING" in the special instructions field).

Must place order between Sept 23 - Oct 7, 2009.

Free Shipping only applies to the suspension parts advertisedin this e-mail, additional parts may incur shipping costs.

Offer only applies to shipping in the continental U.S.

Free shipping will use standard shipping methods (no expedited or rush shipping).

I have used steeda parts on two cars and can tell you it's not "crap". The problem with the above mentioned Shelby parts besides the color and cost is the end links are metal on metal so they create alot of noise when driving. Gets old quick on the street. I have currently on my car Steeda billet lowers w/ poly bushings and a BMR adjustable panhard without the brace and I have no rubbing, noise or wheel hop. I had Steeda's adjustable upper arm and brace on my last car and that worked nice as well. Tasca uses J&M stuff and it's nice as well but red. I installed their lower arms and drop brackets on a friends '08 'vert and they work well also. I'm sure you will get more opinions but in the end it's your car and money so go with what works for you.

Dont buy the Steeda crap, Ilmor. Call SPP and buy the new upper and lower control arms and the panhard bar, they released them this week. Price was less than $700.00

Chris

I saw that, but I'm afraid that it would be too harsh of a setup for the street. Also, just to much $$ for me at this time. I may look into the Shelby poly arms however.

I have used steeda parts on two cars and can tell you it's not "crap". The problem with the above mentioned Shelby parts besides the color and cost is the end links are metal on metal so they create alot of noise when driving. Gets old quick on the street. I have currently on my car Steeda billet lowers w/ poly bushings and a BMR adjustable panhard without the brace and I have no rubbing, noise or wheel hop. I had Steeda's adjustable upper arm and brace on my last car and that worked nice as well. Tasca uses J&M stuff and it's nice as well but red. I installed their lower arms and drop brackets on a friends '08 'vert and they work well also. I'm sure you will get more opinions but in the end it's your car and money so go with what works for you.

they use Steeda and BMR also. when we built the SCJ/GT500 they used Steeda and then BMR on the SGT

they use Steeda and BMR also. when we built the SCJ/GT500 they used Steeda and then BMR on the SGT

Ha haa...that's interesting!

I just installed rear lowering FR springs, BMR panhard bar and brace. Fairly low cost, but now I'm saving up for camber plates so I can install the front springs.

FYI Granatelli makes a blue colored panhard bar/brace if you must color coordinate everything and didn't want to go the paint/powder-coat route.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/produ...play.php?gid=42

Back to the topic at hand. The quieter SPP upper, lowers, and panhard bar for street use will be available in 60 days. They won't be poly bushings as stated in the 2008 catalog but something that I can't pronounce let alone spell. That comes from Kieth at Scott Drake.

I haven't kept my SGT stock but I prefer to have the parts on it say Ford or Shelby. I feel I am upgrading parts that should have come on the SGT from SAI in the first place.

My 2 cents, GREG

Back to the topic at hand. The quieter SPP upper, lowers, and panhard bar for street use will be available in 60 days. They won't be poly bushings as stated in the 2008 catalog but something that I can't pronounce let alone spell. That comes from Kieth at Scott Drake.

I haven't kept my SGT stock but I prefer to have the parts on it say Ford or Shelby. I feel I am upgrading parts that should have come on the SGT from SAI in the first place.

My 2 cents, GREG

I also like the idea of staying with Ford or Shelby named stuff. I was wondering when the quieter items would be available; thanks. I think I'll wait - but - now I'm also thinking about saving longer and going with the Fays2 Watts Link.... :confused:

I also like the idea of staying with Ford or Shelby named stuff. I was wondering when the quieter items would be available; thanks. I think I'll wait - but - now I'm also thinking about saving longer and going with the Fays2 Watts Link.... :confused:

I called SAI today and they said the new panhard bar is on the boat from China, but no ETA. I went ahead a purchased the Steeda panhard and brace from Brenspeed for $240 plus free shipping.

Archived