TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rocket Racing Wheels

post-9886-1253765851_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

Aside from being made in China...they are lookin bad to the bone to me! I spoke with the gentleman today at Rocket and he said that they fit the GT500 brake set up as well. He mentioned that they fit other large brake kits as well. He said that sfter SEMA in November they will be available....

They seem to be exactly what I am looking for...now about the dang China part...I swear.

edit: Forgot they will also have a threaded 3 bar knock off as well if you are so inclined...

post-9886-1253765851_thumb.jpg

They don't look bad, but I'm on a no chinese diet... I just can't do it anymore. They compete with me in my industry and win time and time again with insanley low pricing. I'd rather buy a shelby wheel that fits the brakes, but good luck to you either way.

Jim

Jim- Exactly my problem... where do you think the Carroll Shelby wheels are made? CHINA.

I would have a set on my car right now except for that. I had the car in Vegas at the mod shop and I just could'nt do it. But these Rockets are so close to the bullets and they fit the brakes, I love the style...why they cannot make them in the USA is beyond me. Centerline can make US wheels....

So I hear you man.

Any other suggestions for USA made...so far there is centerlines but not in 10 inch.

There also is Fiske, True Forged, ccw and Jongeblod...at 4k for wheels alone with a look that does not get me too excited...nice but not what I am after. The mesh is fine but too BMW for my daily driver and for 4k I'd start to build a Big Block Dodge Dart with a 440. I am not a road racer so the math does not add up.

Thanks for your post Jim.

I take it these are 18" wheels? I understand your quest for wheels that look like the Torq Thrust wheels but fit over the big brakes. I gave up and bought the GT4 wheels. I gave no thought to where they were made and neglected to ask in advance. The box said "Made In China" in big, bold letters. Not a happy moment. :(

Jim

Yeah Looking for 18's, it is a difficult task...I am almost set on the Centerlines but these keep calling my name...I love the Rocket design.

I like the GT4's....

I have been thinking about this for many months and I keep liking these wheels...but the Chinese part...aaarrrgggghhh. I think that alot of the Shelby stuff is actually made in China actually.

I am going to post in the Ask Amy section.

I had a set of the original rocket mags on a car almost 30 years ago. Loved them as they were a little unique compared to Cragar SS and Torque Thrusts that a lot of other guys would run. I would love to see one of the Shelbys with this wheel on it as described.

I love them they look awesome....

I don't mean to open a China vs. U.S.A argument, it's a can of worms with never ending argument and I won't entertain that. However, I do know that many (if not all) Ford Racing wheels are made right here by Alcoa. That said, the real difference of concern is "forged" vs. "cast" aluminum. Forged is better for many reasons, but much more expensive as you may expect. The original Marauder wheels are forged, and replacements were over 500 bucks each back in '03. I imagine the original product ( a Ford Racing wheel BTW) is much more expensive today.

Carry on, gents.

Hey Ken, for a set of track wheels the take offs would be fine. However, I specifically purchased a SGT over a GT500 or KR as I liked the look and the setup of the SGT way, way better. The bullets absolutley make the cars appearence to me. The wheels from a GT500 are not doing it for daily use IMO and the look of the Honeycomb GT500 will tend to confuse the car with a GT500. The Alcoas are only available in 20 inch as you know so those are out.

I really like the traditional retro look of the Bullets. And as I have had a lot of cars with the centerlines I like those.

Lulu, I hear you, however, I have an American flag in my shop for a reason. There is a suzuki in there as well but as soon as HD builds a dirtbike I will replace the suzuki with one to match my 2 shovelheads.

Lulu and Ken ;)...

So on a 9 1/2 inch wide rim the max tire size is 305 rear and 285 front wih stock suspension in 18 inch diameter?

Thanks guys!!

Update the 18's will not clear the Brembos, but the 20's will.....

Bummer dude.

305's on 9.5" wide rims may be pushing it actually. I'm not sure about how well the sidewall will hold up, unless you're not planning any track use. Might wanna talk to the good folks at tirerack first?

Bummer dude.

305's on 9.5" wide rims may be pushing it actually. I'm not sure about how well the sidewall will hold up, unless you're not planning any track use. Might wanna talk to the good folks at tirerack first?

+1^^

After seeing how the 285/40's fit on the 18x9.5, I can't imagine a 305 on them. I'm not saying it can't be done, because I've never heard of anyone trying/doing it, I'm just saying it's something I've actually never thought of.

Archived