TEAM SHELBY FORUM

285's on stock rims?

I've had my brother's take off Eagle F1 Supercars (285/40) in my garage for awhile now. They came off his GT500 and I've been meaning to ask this since he upgraded to the Toyos. Will these work on my stock rims? What's the downside of cramming this wide of a tire on an 8.5" wide wheel?

I was told by the guys at TireRack.com that 255's were the widest they recommend for these wheels. So I'm running 255/45 Eagle F1 Supercars now.

Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not even sure if this is possible. Thanks.

Ken

I've had my brother's take off Eagle F1 Supercars (285/40) in my garage for awhile now. They came off his GT500 and I've been meaning to ask this since he upgraded to the Toyos. Will these work on my stock rims? What's the downside of cramming this wide of a tire on an 8.5" wide wheel?

I was told by the guys at TireRack.com that 255's were the widest they recommend for these wheels. So I'm running 255/45 Eagle F1 Supercars now.

Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not even sure if this is possible. Thanks.

Ken

its possible but dangerous. good way to roll a sidewall.

i just sold my 8.5's to my best friend and i made it crystal clear the biggest she was going to get on them was 255's.

EDIT: for that fact any self respecting shop wont put tires that big on a rim that small. to big of a legal risk. if they blow out on the highway or cause a wreck then the blame falls on them

EDIT 2: and for those asking i know this cause i asked the same question a month ago :doh:

EDIT tres: that's three in spanish

its possible but dangerous. good way to roll a sidewall.

i just sold my 8.5's to my best friend and i made it crystal clear the biggest she was going to get on them was 255's.

EDIT: for that fact any self respecting shop wont put tires that big on a rim that small. to big of a legal risk. if they blow out on the highway or cause a wreck then the blame falls on them

EDIT 2: and for those asking i know this cause i asked the same question a month ago :doh:

EDIT tres: that's three in spanish

Well aren't you just a big bummer? :cry:

with all the track time you get to do ken i wouldnt risk it. why dont you think about some light wieght track rims and slap them on there?

You're definitely right about rims. I was hoping to save some coin in the meantime and put these tires to use. Guess I'll just have to pony up on the wheels sooner than later.

Ken

Archived