TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Launching the car

bpmurr

How is everyone going about launching the car? I can't for the life of me get the car to hook up and go. There is always wheel spin and usually a lot! Keep in mind this has only been on the street. Haven't been to the track yet.

What mode are you using? You should let the clutch make it grip that roll into the gas. In other words have your gas up to 1500.00 and release the clutch and then roll into the gas. Increase rpm to get to the optional launch rpm. The mode will also dictate what speed you can start at.

Roger

What mode are you using? You should let the clutch make it grip that roll into the gas. In other words have your gas up to 1500.00 and release the clutch and then roll into the gas. Increase rpm to get to the optional launch rpm. The mode will also dictate what speed you can start at.

Roger

I've tried TC on, off, and sport mode. There always seems to be some kind of tire spin.

So you are saying get the car up to about 1500 RPM and dump the clutch and go? Then keep adding a little more RPM each time until I find the best launching point?

I've tried TC on, off, and sport mode. There always seems to be some kind of tire spin.

So you are saying get the car up to about 1500 RPM and dump the clutch and go? Then keep adding a little more RPM each time until I find the best launching point?

Since I got my new tires, the car hooks up ALOT BETTER. I think the stock goodyears are a little too hard and they are the problem. Consider getting new tires, it worked for me.

Car and Driver, stated that the best time they could get was getting the rpm's to 1800 and then feathering in the clutch as you roll into the gas. They left TC in the on mode.

Per justindewoody's comments I have also read the goodyears are considered to be a pretty hard compound and would need to be warmed up a little :drool: in order to get better traction.

Have not gotten mine yet, but it is what I have read to date.

I am saying more along with what old school said. Don't dump the clutch. The best thing to do is hold the gas at 1500rpm and roll out the clutch. Once you feel it grab roll in to the throtte. DO NOT PUNCH IT!!! This car has enough torque to start off in second if the driveline could handle it. The sweet spot is a compromise between the drivetrain, pavement, and gas. Increase your launch rpm accordingly. Do this in sport mode. It will take practice but you will get it :).

Roger

Justindewoody, what type of tires did you go with? I'm looking to change the tires as well next year after I change out the supercharger.

As for launching, I have a nice open road by my house and spent a lil time launching it. I perfer SPORT mode, as I tend to get too heavy with the gas and with TC off, it just smokes. Also, when I shift to 2nd gear i can feel my back end giving out. It looks cool, and scares the crap out of my passenger, but ineffective in good time.

I agree about 1800 to 2000 RPM, with SPORT I feather the clutch to just dropping it, (depends on how I feel) but not hammering on the gas right away. Now with my 2.7 pully I have noticed a lot more wheel hop especially on my 1-2 shift. that's why I like the SPORT mode because it seems to limit the spin. Even with SPORT on I do have spin, but I't feels like a lil bit, kinda like small chirps, rather than just straight out roasting the tires.

I haven't taken her to the track yet, but going in the end of Oct. It should be a nice cool nite in Phx, so I'll see what she does and how the stock tires hold up.

I haven't driven my car very much, and I'm currently out of country so forgive me if this is a stupid question. This sport mode you guys are referring to.. How do you turn that on?.. when I push the traction icon next to the shifter it only cycles through advance trac ON or OFF.... is there something i'm missing?

I haven't driven my car very much, and I'm currently out of country so forgive me if this is a stupid question. This sport mode you guys are referring to.. How do you turn that on?.. when I push the traction icon next to the shifter it only cycles through advance trac ON or OFF.... is there something i'm missing?

With your foot on the brake. Tap the traction control button twice quickly.

Archived