TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brake caliper painting

Hey guys, i just bought some new rotors and was going to paint and clean my calipers but i know nothing of painting. for all of you whose done ur calipers could you shoot me some tips. like cleaning products and what kind of primer and paint i should use and how many coats did yall put on?? also another question did yall use a brush or spray?? i would really appreciate any advice i can get. thank you.

What ever you decide to do, make sure the paint is heat tolerant. Front brakes are responsible for 70-80 percent of total vehicle stopping ability (aka brake torque) and even in normal day-to-day driving, front brakes generate a lot of heat.

Not fun watching your hard work peel away, eh?

I used the Duplicolor Kit and it comes with everything you need. It even has brake cleaner. The paint is a ceramic p[aint that is heat tolerant. The G3 Paints have alot more colors to choose from and are heat tolerant as well. I personally brushed mine on but you can buy a spray version as well. You have more controll with the brush though and the brush marks level out when drying so it looks really good.

post-18959-1253385559_thumb.jpg

post-18959-1253385559_thumb.jpg

I'm actually doing that right now. I've finished and I'm just waiting for everything to dry. I went with the G2 brand and Vista Blue to match my SGT. It came with brake cleaner and everything you need to do the job. Mask off what you don't want painted and you will be fine. I removed all my wheels so I could just keep painting. I've already done about four coats. I'll post up some pics once I get everything back on.

I used the G2 Paint and it worked great and after 6 months no chipping etc.

Be aware that it dries fairly quickly and the paint in the can even covered is hard as a rock after 1 day.

John

I attached 2 different views, 1 with my old RED pit stripes and my new Pit Stripes

post-22367-1253393246_thumb.jpg

post-22367-1253393364_thumb.jpg

post-22367-1253393246_thumb.jpg

post-22367-1253393364_thumb.jpg

can you guys that have done this post pics of your cars w/ the painted calipers? I'm tossing it around, but not sure what color I'd like even if i'd do it!

All, I did was spray brake cleaner on them it cleans everything. Then, I went out and bought VHT caliper paint and then you can do it their

by taping everything off. Or my way and just spray away if you have a steady it helps out. :drool: Looks good to me !!! and that day was the special blue pilllllls If you want me to help you just PM me and on my way :shift: :happy feet:

post-18733-1253416612_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1253416612_thumb.jpg

where'd the decals come from and how do they hold up w/ the heat????

I found them on ebay. They advertised as high temp caliper decals. I just put them on yesterday so I really don't know how well they will hold up. I really don't expect them to last long anyway. I only bought them so I could take a few pics with the newly painted calipers.

I used Ford Blue Duplicolor also, I took the calipers off and sprayed them as I was also replacing the rubber brake lines with the ss ones. I sprayed about 3 coats on each rotor. Next is new rotors and pads.

And before anybody says anything, yes I did clean my wheel well area while the wheels were off...lol I just took the picture before.

Dan

DSC05636.jpgDSC05640.jpg

The G2 stuff seems to work good. I did the application according to instructions, and then a "bedding-in" procedure with new pads, and the finish of the calipers seems to have been unaffected.

One note of caution: if you decide on Ford Mustang "Tungsten", it comes out very dark purple metallic. I liked it, but it wasn't what I expected.

2373177054_4191ebe7fb_t.jpg

Edit: PS: The plain, not-Mustang-Color G2, comes in at $36.09 with free shipping and 5% discount at hubcapsplus.com (https://www.wheelskin.com/g2_brake_caliper_paint.html)

I found them on ebay. They advertised as high temp caliper decals. I just put them on yesterday so I really don't know how well they will hold up. I really don't expect them to last long anyway. I only bought them so I could take a few pics with the newly painted calipers.

Great color!!!

The G2 stuff seems to work good. I did the application according to instructions, and then a "bedding-in" procedure with new pads, and the finish of the calipers seems to have been unaffected.

One note of caution: if you decide on Ford Mustang "Tungsten", it comes out very dark purple metallic. I liked it, but it wasn't what I expected.

2373177054_4191ebe7fb_t.jpg

Edit: PS: The plain, not-Mustang-Color G2, comes in at $36.09 with free shipping and 5% discount at hubcapsplus.com (https://www.wheelskin.com/g2_brake_caliper_paint.html)

,,,,,, :dance: ,,HERE's mine,,216649_R1_22_21A.jpg

216649_R1_22_21A.jpg

THANKS! just ordered a set in black to just stick on the factory calipers... I'll wait till I pick up the slotted or drilled or both rotors before taking it apart to paint, but the stickers add a little something, which surprises me because i'm really NOT a sticker kinda guy!

okay im on my last caliper and might i say the red really POPS. but quick question with the rotors they came prelabled as RR (right rear) LR (left rear) etc. is the right/left direction with me facing the front of the car or facing the rear of the car?? :headscratch:

Think of it as you sitting in the car...right rear is passenger rear and left rear is driver rear

Didn't the front rotors have same type of labels? LF and RF???

G3 caliper paint works great and I have read nothing but positive feedback about the product. I have a kit sitting on my bench and should be doing mine the first week in Oct.

G3 caliper paint

Agreed 100%, I used this. Did the back, they look fantastic. Still need to do the front. It comes with the cleaner and everything you need. The only thing I bought was a package of small bruches to get small areas that were difficult to tape.

Think of it as you sitting in the car...right rear is passenger rear and left rear is driver rear

Didn't the front rotors have same type of labels? LF and RF???

yes sir it says the same for the front.

okay another question ive been spinning the brake piston FOREVER and it is not retracting. is there any tips how to do this?? and plus i cant use the block tool thing that fits on a ratchet to save my life it's like it doesnt fit ive just been using needle nose pliers and twisting the grips.

this paint and rotor thing is becoming a real pain!!! :censored: lol

Archived