TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front plate alternative

zhodd

Hi Folks -

I am looking for some sort of alternative to the dealer installed (read: drilled through bumper) license plate bracket. I am unfortunately in NJ where it's required and I don't want to make any unnecessary holes.

Does anyone have any experience with any alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Sean

Hi Folks -

I am looking for some sort of alternative to the dealer installed (read: drilled through bumper) license plate bracket. I am unfortunately in NJ where it's required and I don't want to make any unnecessary holes.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Sean,

MOVE! I am trying to do the same but can't get the wife to agree! :hysterical:

I had e-mailed Craig's Custom Mustang brackets www.ccmustagbrackets.com because he had a no drill version for the 07-09 am still waiting for him to get these going.

I just e-mailed him again and will advise his reply.

Meantime I am just relying on the fact that the police officer will be behind me and will not look at the front of the car. Not a very good plan I know, but so far so good.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Folks -

Thanks in advance

Sean

Yea..........move down here. I promise I wouldn't pull you over. Would NEVER force anyone to have a plate on their Shelby!!! :happy feet:

Hi Folks -

Thanks in advance

Sean

I am also in NJ, and I have been driving with only rear plate attached since early July. I REFUSE to drill holes through my stripes and into my bumper...

A few of my buddies on "the force" have said "The front plate needs to be displayed, but there is no written rule that says it has to be permanently mounted"... Now, you could get a total d-head pulling you over, and they'll nail you to the wall (depends on what you were doing to get pulled over in the first place). Or, you get one that lets you slide... I have my front plate in a plastic sleeve, and its displayed on my dash on the passenger side. You can CLEARLY read it from the front.

Your other option is Craig's Custom Brackets... http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/index.html

I have been asking him for a while when he will have a model avail for 2010 GT500, he says he's working on it.

Sean,

MOVE! I am trying to do the same but can't get the wife to agree! :hysterical:

I had e-mailed Craig's Custom Mustang brackets www.ccmustagbrackets.com because he had a no drill version for the 07-09 am still waiting for him to get these going.

I just e-mailed him again and will advise his reply.

Meantime I am just relying on the fact that the police officer will be behind me and will not look at the front of the car. Not a very good plan I know, but so far so good.

Regards,

Jim

Ha - I would love to but they keep paying me the money that lets me buy things like this car :) So whom am I to complain. I already have to deal with bright yellow plates on a black on black car - it's terrible.

The front window might be an option temporarily. You would think the DMV would have some sort of style sense..but who am I kidding

yeah i emailed Craig a couple months ago and at the time he didnt have one for the 2010 and was supposed to let me know if/when he gets one made. http://www.trailerrebuilders.com/services I emailed the guy here and he said he has changed the holes on the mount so that it will fit the 2010 but I havent gotten around to buying yet. there is one other place that I found who has one for the 2010 but it uses the lower grill area. basically mounts that go through the grill and stick out far enough so you can mount the plate on it. will try to find that link

I should add I have already been pulled over once by the local fuzz just so they could look at the car - I found that amusing.

I applaud the use of the word fuzz. Most people don't use it anymore, but I think it should make a comeback. I have been using it with my kids, so hopefully a new generation will call them the fuzz!

Hi Folks -

Thanks in advance

Sean

Honestly though, there are quite a few after market alternatives that don't require drilling. Here are a few links:

Trailer Builders - GT500

JHR - eBay

Altec Retracteable

Craig's Brackets

I don't have any experience with these, but have seen them before (especially the one from trailer builders). I'm still plateless.

Hope this helps!!

Do a forum search too:

Here's a plate thread from the 2010 GT500 section

I live in NJ as well and have never had a front plate on my performance cars. Some years ago a policeman friend told me that if you get personalized plates you can always use the excuse that one of the plates was either damaged or fell off/lost and you can't replace it. I know it sounds like a lame excuse, but it's worked for me so far. I have been pulled over twice and they let me go both times. Also, what's the worst that can happen? I think in NJ it's a $25 fine. I'd rather pay the fine than have the holes in my bumper.

I'd say get personalized plates and throw the dice.

I live in NJ as well and have never had a front plate on my performance cars. Some years ago a policeman friend told me that if you get personalized plates you can always use the excuse that one of the plates was either damaged or fell off/lost and you can't replace it. I know it sounds like a lame excuse, but it's worked for me so far. I have been pulled over twice and they let me go both times. Also, what's the worst that can happen? I think in NJ it's a $25 fine. I'd rather pay the fine than have the holes in my bumper.

I'd say get personalized plates and throw the dice.

Thats exactly what I did...

post-24738-1253146608_thumb.jpg

post-24738-1253146608_thumb.jpg

I like your plate Gus!!

Someone should buy me one of those Shelby Licence plate covers for my birthday!!

THANKS OCD!!! First time anybody (other than the locals) are seeing it!

I was so psyched it was available, and that the boys down at the State Penn stamped it right out for me!

I got my plate frame on eBay from Chicago Auto Parts... $21.00

Yea..........move down here. I promise I wouldn't pull you over. Would NEVER force anyone to have a plate on their Shelby!!! :happy feet:

2sharpie,

Would it help me to mention you/your moniker to the officer if I get pulled for using a radar detector in VA? :busted: ?

Regards, Ian

I am also in NJ, and I have been driving with only rear plate attached since early July. I REFUSE to drill holes through my stripes and into my bumper...

A few of my buddies on "the force" have said "The front plate needs to be displayed, but there is no written rule that says it has to be permanently mounted"... Now, you could get a total d-head pulling you over, and they'll nail you to the wall (depends on what you were doing to get pulled over in the first place). Or, you get one that lets you slide... I have my front plate in a plastic sleeve, and its displayed on my dash on the passenger side. You can CLEARLY read it from the front.

Your other option is Craig's Custom Brackets... http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/index.html

I have been asking him for a while when he will have a model avail for 2010 GT500, he says he's working on it.

I live in WA State and have the same problem. I use the suction cup kit from the auto parts store. Its much safer and cleaner looking. Doing this is still illegal. Most cops will not even look at you except the State Troopers, and if you have all your info in order and your not breaking any other laws they normally will let you go the first time. Other than that its a $124 ticket, and it doesn't go on your driving record.

Hey Guys, I hate the fact that Texas requires a front plate. I have had this issue before with many cars. My Ford Gt in particular, but the law is the law. Just give them ANY reason to pull you over and let's say you have had a "couple" of beers. I do not or ever will condone drunk driving, the law down here is not joking around with alcohol and driving period! I personally have never had a DWI but have been field tested 3 times. I even had to blow in there fancy machine once but passed with a .81. I am 46 years old. See down here if you don't blow you go to jail! And what did I get pulled over for? No front plate! On a Friday night, minding my own business but got pulled over anyway. Most all States have gone to a .08 alcohol level on there breath tests. I would have failed back when I blew. My point here is not " How to drive drunk" and kill somebody but don't give them a reason to pull you over, unless you are a MADD mother and can afford the $100+ fine everytime a cop has nothing better to do! They "the cops" want to see your car and check you out at the same time! Again, I don't need a lecture on drunk driving just giving you something to think about the next time you go to Chili's and have 2 Sam Adam's with your meal. I put this plate holder on my Shelby, http://www.trailerrebuilders.com/services . $70 bucks and is acceptable for me. No drilling required and down low but LEGAL. Legal is good! Hope this helps somebody, denohew

Hey Guys, I hate the fact that Texas requires a front plate. I have had this issue before with many cars. My Ford Gt in particular, but the law is the law. Just give them ANY reason to pull you over and let's say you have had a "couple" of beers. I do not or ever will condone drunk driving, the law down here is not joking around with alcohol and driving period! I personally have never had a DWI but have been field tested 3 times. I even had to blow in there fancy machine once but passed with a .81. I am 46 years old. See down here if you don't blow you go to jail! And what did I get pulled over for? No front plate! On a Friday night, minding my own business but got pulled over anyway. Most all States have gone to a .08 alcohol level on there breath tests. I would have failed back when I blew. My point here is not " How to drive drunk" and kill somebody but don't give them a reason to pull you over, unless you are a MADD mother and can afford the $100+ fine everytime a cop has nothing better to do! They "the cops" want to see your car and check you out at the same time! Again, I don't need a lecture on drunk driving just giving you something to think about the next time you go to Chili's and have 2 Sam Adam's with your meal. I put this plate holder on my Shelby, http://www.trailerrebuilders.com/services . $70 bucks and is acceptable for me. No drilling required and down low but LEGAL. Legal is good! Hope this helps somebody, denohew

.81!!!!! ....I think rigor would have already set in!!

Hey goldgus, how long did it take for you to get your plates? I ordered custom plates and they said 8-10 weeks :headscratch: Figures, nothings fast in jersey.

As far as the front license plate I too dont have mine on. I have been pulled over once. I was doing exactly the speed limit so I was confused as to why he was stopping me until he said I had no front license plate and front window tint

:censored: jersey. Good thing it was my buddies uncle and he just sent me on my way. I will just pay the fine if I get pulled over. I think someone needs to do a study that shows front license plates hurt mpg, and that it could help contribute to saving the earth if we got rid of front license plates all together :idea:

Hey goldgus, how long did it take for you to get your plates? I ordered custom plates and they said 8-10 weeks :headscratch: Figures, nothings fast in jersey.

As far as the front license plate I too dont have mine on. I have been pulled over once. I was doing exactly the speed limit so I was confused as to why he was stopping me until he said I had no front license plate and front window tint

:censored: jersey. Good thing it was my buddies uncle and he just sent me on my way. I will just pay the fine if I get pulled over. I think someone needs to do a study that shows front license plates hurt mpg, and that it could help contribute to saving the earth if we got rid of front license plates all together :idea:

I just did NJ Custom plates for another one of my cars and it took 3 weeks to get them after placing the order online.

Fibredog

Only took 2 or 3 weeks... I was pleasantly surprised when they showed up so quick. Its not like the inmates are going on summer vacation, you know...

In NJ, its the tint that will get you pulled over EVERY time. The law in NJ HATES tint, of any kind.

Hi Folks -

Thanks in advance

Sean

HI I DID THIS MOD. email ken @ trailerrebuilders.com. HE SUPPLIED A STAINLESS STEEL 90 DEGREE PLATE WITH RUBBER insulator that mounts perfectly under the middle by removing 2 chin splitter bolts. IT LOOKS PERFECT AND I HAVE HAD MAY COMPLIMENTS. NO DRILLING REQUIRED. PRICE IS ABOUT $ 75 I BELIEVE. IT IS PERFECT.HE used my car as a prototyppe to perfec the fit. Great guy !!!!

• 2 months later...

Here is a thread you might want to read regarding the front license plate issue. I put a pic of mine installed and have had zero issues with it. It doesn't look that bad to me and I am totally legal! As far as the holder being able to handle the speed, well I topped mine out to the limiter, right at 160 with no issues. No drilling and it took 5 minutes to install. Hope this helps, denohew

Archived