TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Intake muffler removal

tdusseau

Ok not sure if someone beat me to it but here it is anyway. This is about a 1/2 beer job, no really it is. I love the blower whine, and have missed my Lightning for some years now. ok blah blah blah....

1. Remove entire intake track. One bolt on the bottom of the airbox and the band clamp around the throttle body. Also unplug all connections. ****STOP NOW, if you have no idea what I am talking about***** lol

2. Loosen the 2(two) band clamps that hold the muffler to the rubber boots. This is about the hardest step, as the muffler has some dabs of glue to help attach it to the rubber boots. Just take your time and peel it back slow, so you dont tear any big chunks of rubber.

3. With a small blade screwdriver at the end that faces the airfilter, push the screwdriver into the seam around the outside of the muffler case, and the face of the baffle. This piece is not glued or attached in anyway and should just sllide right out.post-25617-1253111002_thumb.jpg

4. Remove bafflepost-25617-1253111133_thumb.jpg

5. OPTIONAL. I will be doing this today. You can cut the flat section open on the intake side. As you can see it is just a round hole that used to line up with the baffle exit. But now that baffle is removed this wall is just an unnecessary restriction. So it will be removed today.post-25617-1253111286_thumb.jpg

6. Put everything back together and re-install the intake system and enjoy the whine. post-25617-1253111354_thumb.jpg

And YES in 1st and 2nd you can hear the whine very well. I am happy because it now sounds like my 2001 Lightning. And for the 10-15min it took, and ZERO dollars. You can't beat this mod.

Enjoy everyone, and remember take your time. REMEMBER this job is rated a 1/2 beer job out of 5. VERY EASY.

post-25617-1253111002_thumb.jpg

post-25617-1253111133_thumb.jpg

post-25617-1253111286_thumb.jpg

post-25617-1253111354_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did this back when there was no replacement tubes, but I just found a intake resonator eliminator kit from FRPP for $60. Resonator eliminator kit

Hijack!!!!!! :slapfight: lol

I think Ford did this crap on purpose! Then they turn around and have the balls to charge us for a "delete" pipe. I don't think so.

I am going to stick to the free mod. I know some people want to add the strut tower brace and all, but I am not doing that mod. So gutting the stock can is good enough for me.

Todd

Repost!! :poke: Haha, just kidding. I agree is a great and cheap mod my only issue was the airflow because its not a smooth tube and it goes from round to oval to round. And I do agree that is pathetic that we have to pay $60 to make a $50K car look better when they could of done that from the factory.

They did it because many people were complaining the whine was too loud on a 50k car. I love it but many people who drive it for status dont.

Roger

Hi Tdusseau,

Any chance you got some before and after sound clips?

DaFreak

Nothing that I would think your average video camera would pick up. But you will notice a difference, besides it can only help with airflow.

I did notice a difference after I cut the back end out of the can, pulled a 1,2,3 burnout the other day, and all I could hear was the whine...VERY COOL!

Any pictures of this part FRPP sells for $60?

I am not understanding what they are selling you lol

Do you just get the same tube again but without the baffles?

Exactly? Why pay $60 tomorrow for something you can do for FREE today. I am going to put the $60 toward tires, yeah I am going to need them.

Any pictures of this part FRPP sells for $60?

I am not understanding what they are selling you lol

Do you just get the same tube again but without the baffles?

So I found this on ebay which appears to be the eliminator kit but I'm an idiot and can't get the link to work. Here's the item # 280401239060 copy and paste it on ebay I guess.

5. OPTIONAL. I will be doing this today. You can cut the flat section open on the intake side. As you can see it is just a round hole that used to line up with the baffle exit. But now that baffle is removed this wall is just an unnecessary restriction. So it will be removed today.post-25617-1253111286_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the post. Did all of the same myself just now. Silencer was a piece of cake, took a little longer on the flat piece. Def wasn't going to leave that there and serve no purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the post. Did all of the same myself just now. Silencer was a piece of cake, took a little longer on the flat piece. Def wasn't going to leave that there and serve no purpose.

Thanks guys, i thought my 2010 was too quiet, almost silent. Especially after taking a ride to my friends 04.

So to return it to stock you would order the $60.00 tube, and r2 it. And if ya didnt give a rats patuty just remove the muffler and flat retainer and whine, whine whine. Awsome. Ill end up doing the remove all unessasary parts option.

This will be Mod #2 for me.

Mod 1 was taking the dealer sticker off the@ss end. :)

Has anyone tried modifying the internal muffler/baffle? Drill out all those holes about 3x their existing size and you should get an intermediate amount of whine increase. Might be something for those who want a little more whine on a 2010, but not as much as the 05-09 models.

Here is a question, why do we all believe that the reason we cannot hear the SC better is because of this resonator? Is it possible that there is additional sound dentening material on the hood and firewall? I ask this because the resonator is in the air intake tube which leads into the throttle body. Throttle body leads into the super charger. At no point does the intake lead into the vehicle. (obviously). The sound of the super charger does not travel back up through the TB or does it.

With the hood open and the car on the DYNO we can clearly hear the whine.

Any ways, too me I think that maybe there are differences in the hood blanket or the firewall compared to earlier model vehicles.

Well, from my 07 to my 10 yes there is a difference, this is obvious as everyone is whining about it.

I also removed the baffle and I still believe that the audio level is still not there.

I think that it is plausible that Ford has done a better job at dentening the exterior sound in the cabin of the vehicle. This is not a uncommon practice by manufactures. I still am not buying into that piece of plastic is making the SC whine go away.

Does it restrict airflow? Sure, possibly.

Does it affect the decibel from the whine of the super charger? Not buying it.

I use to own a car audio/conversion shop. Many a customer would come in to lower the exterior sound in the interior of the car. We would remove door panels, seats, carpet, trunk deck lids etc. We would apply a material that once once heated it would conform to the shape of the application. I.E. floor etc. We would then reapply the application (door panel, etc.) and the sound quality was night and day.

My customers were also trying to achieve higher SPL's (Sound pressure levels, more bass)

Again just my two cents.

Save your money on the RESONATOR DELETE from Ford. It may serve a purpose. In my opinion it is not to increase the whine.

But wait, maybe it is. Look at us we are all WHINING.

Sorry I could not resist.

Here is a question, why do we all believe that the reason we cannot hear the SC better is because of this resonator? Is it possible that there is additional sound dentening material on the hood and firewall? I ask this because the resonator is in the air intake tube which leads into the throttle body. Throttle body leads into the super charger. At no point does the intake lead into the vehicle. (obviously). The sound of the super charger does not travel back up through the TB or does it.

Any ways, too me I think that maybe there are differences in the hood blanket or the firewall compared to earlier model vehicles.

Well, from my 07 to my 10 yes there is a difference, this is obvious as everyone is whining about it.

I also removed the baffle and I still believe that the audio level is still not there.

I think that it is plausible that Ford has done a better job at dentening the exterior sound in the cabin of the vehicle. This is not a uncommon practice by manufactures. I still am not buying into that piece of plastic is making the SC whine go away.

I use to own a car audio/conversion shop. Many a customer would come in to lower the exterior sound in the interior of the car. We would remove door panels, seats, carpet, trunk deck lids etc. We would apply a material that once once heated it would conform to the shape of the application. I.E. floor etc. We would then reapply the application (door panel, etc.) and the sound quality was night and day.

My customers were also trying to achieve higher SPL's (Sound pressure levels, more bass)

Again just my two cents.

Save your money on the RESONATOR DELETE from Ford. It may serve a purpose. In my opinion it is not to increase the whine.

I tend to agree, Aviator. As I proposed in another thread, covering the muffler/baffle baffle on the outside and replacing it in its housing should accomplish the same thing as just removing it.

SO...

I removed the 'offending' unit from its housing

post-25332-1255296355_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296413_thumb.jpg

Then cut flashing material and wrapped the unit and banded it

post-25332-1255296510_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296562_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296668_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296709_thumb.jpg

Put everything back together and took Mr. Shelby out for a test. I was disappointed in that I did not hear any appreciable increase in the "whine" level. If anything, it was slightly more muted sounding. HOWEVER, the performance SEEMED to improve insofar as the immediacy of the acceleration (if that is possible). As I briefly floored it in 2nd and 3rd, I watched the boost climb faster than it appeared to before. But no increase in "whine".

The bottom line is that I gained no perceptible SC noise but it "felt" quicker - which I was completely not expecting. My mod is easily and quickly reversible so if after a few more days I find that I was just imagining any performance increase, I will just remove the flashing and the clamps and return the intake to original condition.

post-25332-1255296355_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296413_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296510_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296562_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296668_thumb.jpg

post-25332-1255296709_thumb.jpg

Well I guess i will weigh in here... I replaced the entire intake tube with the JLT unit and I now have S/C whine that was simply NOT there before... It is now VERY noticeable when you get into the boost. And it definitely was not there before.

Goldgus, thanks for sharing. I am not trying to be difficult here instead truly trying to understand the physics/science behind this.

A thought, maybe a clean round tube resonates the whine of the SC? What is bugging me is that we can clearly hear the whine with the hood opened and on the DYNO.

Again not trying to be difficult but instead understand the physics behind the problem.

• 1 month later...
Ok not sure if someone beat me to it but here it is anyway. This is about a 1/2 beer job, no really it is. I love the blower whine, and have missed my Lightning for some years now. ok blah blah blah....

1. Remove entire intake track. One bolt on the bottom of the airbox and the band clamp around the throttle body. Also unplug all connections. ****STOP NOW, if you have no idea what I am talking about***** lol

2. Loosen the 2(two) band clamps that hold the muffler to the rubber boots. This is about the hardest step, as the muffler has some dabs of glue to help attach it to the rubber boots. Just take your time and peel it back slow, so you dont tear any big chunks of rubber.

3. With a small blade screwdriver at the end that faces the airfilter, push the screwdriver into the seam around the outside of the muffler case, and the face of the baffle. This piece is not glued or attached in anyway and should just sllide right out.post-25617-1253111002_thumb.jpg

4. Remove bafflepost-25617-1253111133_thumb.jpg

6. Put everything back together and re-install the intake system and enjoy the whine. post-25617-1253111354_thumb.jpg

And YES in 1st and 2nd you can hear the whine very well. I am happy because it now sounds like my 2001 Lightning. And for the 10-15min it took, and ZERO dollars. You can't beat this mod.

Enjoy everyone, and remember take your time. REMEMBER this job is rated a 1/2 beer job out of 5. VERY EASY.

Am referring to the picture before last.

when you increase the diameter to that extent then the air flow will increase understandably...but would that need some calibration of the tune?...more air in will change some of the factory setup and i wounder if the car may run lean....?

Am referring to the picture before last.

when you increase the diameter to that extent then the air flow will increase understandably...but would that need some calibration of the tune?...more air in will change some of the factory setup and i wounder if the car may run lean....?

RALPH ARNING - SVT told me last week that the removal will cause leaning and did not recommend it to ensure engine integrity.( aka no problems ).

RALPH ARNING - SVT told me last week that the removal will cause leaning and did not recommend it to ensure engine integrity.( aka no problems ).

The only way it will cause a lean condition is if it's un-metered air (aka "False Air").

If it goes through the MAF Sensor, it is *metered* air and will not cause any driveability problems.

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

Again just my two cents.

Sound deadening? Maybe some improvement in the cabin, but the engine bay? Not likely. Remember, there is a large hole in the hood (heat extractor) and that big hole in the front (grill)... tire wells... how about underneath...? Stereo installation experience notwithstanding, there is no amount of sound deadening material that will quiet the SC whine unless the engine bay is totally encapsulated, or at least the SC, but that wouldn’t be practical due to... well, excessive heat build-up. The baffle(s) in the CAI is absolutely the paramount reason for the noticeable muffled sound as compared to the 07-09 MY. Many have reported that the installation of the JLT set-up returns the "sound" to the likes of the previous model. This alone would validate that the baffle is the main culprit. Why else to think otherwise? Not hate’n, just say’n.

Archived