TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$50k for a clone?

ctann

Gotta agree. It it was modified to exact 1968 GT500KR specs then I would say ok. But c'mon a run of the mill 429 instead of a 428 PI?? If you're going to go with the wrong engine family why not go with the 460 instead?

Then you add in the electric pusher fans, the cheesey Moroso cover, the who knows air cleaner and all the other incorrect parts. Another seller that thinks they should be able to get every dollar back that they spent on the car.

Not a bad looking car and one that you could drive and not have to worry about.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Some clones can be very nice indeed. I still kick myself for not buying a clone about 8 years ago. I was at a show there was a 67 gt500 clone for sale. Got to talk to the owner who built the car from a wrecked gt500. He basicly just transfered over all the factory gt500 parts to another body. If he would'nt of been an honest guy he could have passed this car off as an original, it was that nice and correct. I think the price at the time was 30-35k. Color was dark emerald green and 428 4spd. Makes me mad when I think about it. I could of had that car easy if my wife would not have talked me out of it.

Some clones can be very nice indeed. I still kick myself for not buying a clone about 8 years ago. I was at a show there was a 67 gt500 clone for sale. Got to talk to the owner who built the car from a wrecked gt500. He basicly just transfered over all the factory gt500 parts to another body. If he would'nt of been an honest guy he could have passed this car off as an original, it was that nice and correct. I think the price at the time was 30-35k. Color was dark emerald green and 428 4spd. Makes me mad when I think about it. I could of had that car easy if my wife would not have talked me out of it.

Ooo I feel your pain, man. Hopefully there will be more deals to be had.

Back in '86 I came across a '66 Shelby clone for sale and it was nice. Only $2200! My dad wouldn't let me buy it because of the "stripes." :doh:

In 1999 at the Mustangs Unlimited show, there was a gold 1968 GT350 for sale, near mint and it was real. Only $25K. Looking back, I should have bought that one. Doh!

A GT500KR clone currently up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...WNA%3AUS%3A1123

Currently bid up to almost $50k. The auction is very clear that this is a clone, and the car looks in very nicely restored condition. Still, $50k for a clone is a surprise to me...

Chris.

Since its half or less the cost as a real Shelby, its not bad

Archived