TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1987 GLHS radio

glhs0075

I need to find a factory radio for my 1987 GLHS. Does anybody know the part number, have a picture or can give a description of the correct unit for these cars?

Below is a pic of what it looks like. The radio came two ways, one version is silver/chrome and the other is black. You want the black version.

Chrysler part #'s:

4372442 Black

4372443 Silver/Chrome

Steve

1987_GLHS_Radio.JPG

1987_GLHS_Radio.JPG

I might have an extra one. If you don't find one closer I can check my stash to find out for sure.

Thanks

Randy

Thanks Randy

I think I'll prowl the wreckers first and see if I can't find one, but it's good to know I have options.

Stephen

So then the 87 radio IS different than the 86 model, right? I always thought they were the same.

Barry

The 1986 GLHS received almost the lowest priced radio available, an AM/FM with NO cassette. Below is a pic of it.

The 1987 GLHS received the top of the line radio, well top of the line for an L24. This radio was part of the sun/sound/shade option package available on the Chargers. It wouldn't surprise me if the 1000 cars were ordered with that option but with the shade part deleted.

To me it was always strange how most of the Whittier cars came with close to the worst radios available when you consider the demographic the cars were marketed to. I've just always assumed the bean counters figured if it had a faceplate and some sort of sound emitted from it then it was good enough.

Steve

Glhs_10AB.jpg

Glhs_10AB.jpg

I think my 86 GLHT might have the cassette upgrade radio, but the faceplate in your pic looks familiar. It's been years since I've sat in the car though (in storage) so I don't recall exactly. I'll make a note to look at it the next time I am over there. Thanks Steve!

• 6 months later...

Archived