TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane booster

Folks:

I am going to try my hand at 1/4 mile drag, next wednesday at Sears Point. I'm meeting up with a couple Corvette buddies and try to hold up the Ford/Shelby end! I take a LOT of grief, but now I have them nervous because of my new-found power. :)

Since I have the new SC install and dyno numbers, I think octane booster would be cheap insurance for the strip.

Can anyone enlighten me on need, type amount etc?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Folks:

I am going to try my hand at 1/4 mile drag, next wednesday at Sears Point. I'm meeting up with a couple Corvette buddies and try to hold up the Ford/Shelby end! I take a LOT of grief, but now I have them nervous because of my new-found power. :)

Since I have the new SC install and dyno numbers, I think octane booster would be cheap insurance for the strip.

Can anyone enlighten me on need, type amount etc?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Here's my advice: KICK THEIR A$$ ! :hysterical:

Dan,

From what I understand, octane booster in unnecessary with your FRPP 91 octane tune. In fact, I have heard that it can have detrimental effects.

If you want a little insurance, try some higher octane, 95 or 100, unleaded fuel available at Sear's Point.

Michael

Dan,

From what I understand, octane booster in unnecessary with your FRPP 91 octane tune. In fact, I have heard that it can have detrimental effects.

If you want a little insurance, try some higher octane, 95 or 100, unleaded fuel available at Sear's Point.

Michael

+1

There is a thread here where it REALLY messed up someones engine. I forget what the particulars were I just know I came away thinking NEVER EVER use octane booster.

Dan,

Michael

The young man at AED said that I can mix high-octane racing fuel with 91 and be "completely safe". What do you think, 3/4 tank 91 and fill up at track with the good stuff?

+1

There is a thread here where it REALLY messed up someones engine. I forget what the particulars were I just know I came away thinking NEVER EVER use octane booster.

That's very good to know. I'll do a better search...

I LIKE V.P RACE FUELS ; C103 IS MY OCTANE BOOSTER OF CHOICE. :happy feet:

SCOTTY

(P. S.) TORCO ACCELERATOR IS GOOD STUFF TO YOU CAN PURCHASE IT BY THE

QUART ; YOU ADD THE QUART W/ 10 GALLONS OF GAS FOR A 95 OCTANE LEVEL.

From what Ive learned with the FRPP tune octane booster is not needed. There is a setting called octane adjust on the hand held tuner(if you have the tuner) that will reduce timing by pressing yes. We tried it on the dyno and it reduced timing two degrees on the pulls. Just use 93 octane fuel and drive it hard. I think the biggest problem on track day will be traction for you. Good luck and have fun regardless of the times.

Just remember that methanol and ethanol have less energy per volume than gasoline so make sure you really need the octane (which roughly is the measure of a fluids ability to resist combustion). When methanol or ethanol is added to gasoline as octane enhancers or oxygenators your mpg's will go down because the energy from combustion will go down. That means that horsepower will also go down if everything else remains the same after adding methanol or ethanol to the fuel.

I live in Houston and we now have 10% ethanol in our gasoline due to an EPA requirement and my mpg has gone from an average of 18 to 14 mpg. I haven't tested the loss on a dyno but I'm sure it is detectable.

Just remember that methanol and ethanol have less energy per volume than gasoline so make sure you really need the octane (which roughly is the measure of a fluids ability to resist combustion). When methanol or ethanol is added to gasoline as octane enhancers or oxygenators your mpg's will go down because the energy from combustion will go down. That means that horsepower will also go down if everything else remains the same after adding methanol or ethanol to the fuel.

I live in Houston and we now have 10% ethanol in our gasoline due to an EPA requirement and my mpg has gone from an average of 18 to 14 mpg. I haven't tested the loss on a dyno but I'm sure it is detectable.

Mark the meth kit will increase the cooling and add hp, works very well.

http://www.snowperformance.net/dyno_chart_...oline&dck=6

They work because you can increase boost and/or lean the mixture without exploding the engine - that's why I said with everything remaining the same, they will make less horsepower. The Indy series cars do very well on pure methanol BUT it's because they change the setup to take advantage of the properties of the methanol.

If you dump some methanol in with your gasoline and you don't change anything else you will (among other things):

1. corrode your fuel system because methanol picks up water very easily and transports it through the system
  2. make less horsepower
  3. get fewer miles per gallon

A system like you mentioned (I agree they work) are effective because they also change other aspects of the tune or engine to take advantage of the cooling and octane enhancing properties of the methanol and delivers the methanol and water in a way that avoids the corrosion issues. The horsepower gains that are derived by using the system more than offset the horsepower losses due to the lower energy derived from burning methanol versus gasoline.

I added my first post simply to remind some that octane does not always equal energy and that if you add some octane enhancers and don't change anything else, you could end up making less horsepower.

The young man at AED said that I can mix high-octane racing fuel with 91 and be "completely safe". What do you think, 3/4 tank 91 and fill up at track with the good stuff?

You need to go with 1/4 tank and then put 3 or 4 gallons of 110. Try not to have more than a half a tank of gas, the less the better for weight!

the less you weigh the faster you go. :)

Jim

You need to go with 1/4 tank and then put 3 or 4 gallons of 110. Try not to have more than a half a tank of gas, the less the better for weight!

the less you weigh the faster you go. :)

Jim

Perfect! That is what I'm looking for.

This site is amazing. A whole BUNCH of Yodas. :hysterical:

Here in California, we can only get 91 at the pump. That is what my FR tune is set for. After reading about this, I am leary of adding any other additives, so I'll just bump a few gallons of the good stuff on top of a 1/2-1/4 tank (I have about 85 miles to drive, to work, track then home...)and call it good. Hopefully, the "extra" octane won't cost HP/TQ to the wheels...?

Thanks all, can't wait!

Dan

Find 100 octane and fill half the tank with it and half with what you normally use, you'll be fine. I use Lucas Oil Octane Boost and have had no issues... However, I prefer the 50/50 mix with the 100 octane.

You have the Ford Racing ProCal II tune?

I was told in terms that seemed to reflect reasonably authoritative knowledge, that anything less than half a tank of fuel compromises fuel delivery in full-throttle operation. Any views on that wisdom?

My paperwork from my Whipple says to keep no less than a 1/4 tank for that very reason.

Archived