TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Clutch

Snaked

This is a muh discussed issue here on the forum. Many, many members have had clutch issues and the clutch and flywheel replacedd. Ford has had a TSB out for quite some time to address these issues. If you do a search here you will find an inordinate amount of information.

Glad yours was repaired all ok.

I actually DID take the car in before the SS, and Ford said the clutch is fine. I knew better. But, I got it documented.

No worries, as I took it in last week, just about to go competely out on me, and Ford said they would honor the warranty. These guys are great so far.

Parts on order.

I love the car so much that I was actually thinking about a cruise by just rolling it downhill for a mile or 2, but, then I thought a bit more about the RETURN trip.

(if you beleive that, I have a Shelby clutch for sale for you!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just did for the 2nd time, go over to gt500 modifacation and tec and take a look at mine. do yourself a favor do not put the factory clutch back into it call evo or jered and get a spec clutch. if u need more info just im me. i had only 300 mile on the 2nd one. oh by the way yes i have over 700hp

My clutch went to ZERO at 3800 miles. The car wouldn't move. Ford replaced it and the mechanisms in the shifter and the flywheel all under warranty. Has anyone else lost theirs?

Super Snake 2007 100 Black Convertible

No and not too many lost clutches that I have heard of, except from abuse. I have a first build 07 and had the TSB done, no questions asked by the dealer.

We did see a lost clutch that was completely burned up but narrowed it down to driver error basically from the driver resting his/her foot on the clutch all time.

Maybe the factory clutch is not designed for 700horse, after all, the car was only designed for 500-550horse from the factory.

seems with all the reading I've done, it's sort of a hit and miss on how & when theses clutches go out....I have an 08 Conv GT500, with a build date of 10-Apr-08, and I'm definitely concerned on what the future will bring. I've currently got around 4,000 miles on it and it shifts and works just fun from what I can tell, but it's also not a daily driver or a car that will ever go to the track (I'm just not a track person). The most aggressive driving this car will ever see is the occassional stomp on the gas pedal or trips to mountains in North Georgia.

One of the big concerns with the clutch, and the whole reason for the TSB, is overheating and warping of the flywheel. This can cause drag on the tranny syncros while shifting and can damage them. The latest (3rd iteration) of the TSB has a test you can do to see if the clutch dragging has effected the syncros. I think they used to just change the syncros and input shaft via the TSB but now will be testing first to see if the tranny needs work as part of the TSB. There have been several reports of redone TSBs because of install problems especially with opening up the tranny. I think, however, if you have a successful TSB install and run for a while and then the clutch goes out they will push back on doing the TSB again.

I think I will do the tranny test, if the syncros are good I will just put on an aftermarket clutch/flywheel and be done with it. Otherwise I will use the TSB to fix the tranny first.

TSB linky - 3rd REVISION - The new revised Clutch TSB 09-19-11, ....revised on 9/17/2009

Took her out for a mile or 2 this am, heard some rattling in neutral. This is after the TSB was performed. Called Ford, they said it is a normal "rollover" sound.

I know that they did nothing with the tranny.

Push the clutch in while in neutral and the rollover noise will go away. This is normal before and after the TSB.

Thanks for all the great information - and the information on the new TSB posted on 9-11-09 - I'm going to check back with the Ford dealership to see if they performed the transmission test - I know they did replace the clutch and the fly wheel - I understand it was a $3800 no questions asked repair - is checking for the transmission synchronizer the only addition that was out as a TSB before? What did the old TSB address? :headscratch:

• 1 month later...

Are alot of you guys out there experiencing the same rattling and so called "rollover" sounds in your tranny like I am since the TSB? Ford Country tells me that it is a normal sound, and to bring her back if I experience any problems with the clutch, but, I am not really driving her much.

One of the original symptoms, (excessive shuddering), with the clutch, is there all over again. Now, I'm starting to shudder myself!

I really find it difficult to comprehend that the sounds are a normal thing.

Input anyone?

Are alot of you guys out there experiencing the same rattling and so called "rollover" sounds in your tranny like I am since the TSB? Ford Country tells me that it is a normal sound, and to bring her back if I experience any problems with the clutch, but, I am not really driving her much.

One of the original symptoms, (excessive shuddering), with the clutch, is there all over again. Now, I'm starting to shudder myself!

I really find it difficult to comprehend that the sounds are a normal thing.

Input anyone?

Normal. Shudder....give more gas and don't ride the clutch so much.

I just had a very pleasant experince with my local dealer who did the TSB replacement without any more proof of a problem than me telling them "i thought the clutch was bad". They ordered the parts, called me when the parts arrived, and i brought the car in.

Serviced at 2400miles.

Archived