TEAM SHELBY FORUM

recommended fuel

mustang514

Hey guys I wanted to pass this along, I know if you are a seasoned racer you more than likely know this. but for you guys like me who are weekend warriors and drive a work truck nine to five, I thought i would share this and also hope it will make it into the new proposed owners manual.

I live in California so the average premium fuel available at most gas stations is 91 octane. I recently took my SS 725 HP out to run at Thunder Hill road course and found that all thought the car runs fantastic around town on the 91 octane if you plan on flogging your car hard for extended periods of time you need to run race gas, minimum of 100 octane. You will hurt your car if you don't.

I know several of you have gone out and whopped on your cars so please share your thought on this, and other findings so that future SS owners will be able to reference these items in the owners manual.

P.S. another rookie move to avoid is after running your session and you pull into the pits, don't use your E-brake, as it will warp your rear rotors, All thought the good news is now I have a viable excuse to upgrade to the matching rear brake set up.

Take care and go beat these things like Carroll intended us to!!!!!

I know if you are a seasoned racer you more than likely know this.

the car runs fantastic around town on the 91 octane if you plan on flogging your car hard for extended periods of time you need to run race gas, minimum of 100 octane. You will hurt your car if you don't.

:headscratch: I'am not seasoned - why is 100 octane necessary - higher octane slows the burn rate??? :headscratch:

I know if you are a seasoned racer you more than likely know this.

the car runs fantastic around town on the 91 octane if you plan on flogging your car hard for extended periods of time you need to run race gas, minimum of 100 octane. You will hurt your car if you don't.

:headscratch: I'am not seasoned - why is 100 octane necessary - higher octane slows the burn rate??? :headscratch:

higher octane allows your timing to be advanced with less risk of pre-ignition.... more advanced timing = more HP...

Archived