TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question regarding stock CAI

scottGT500

Hey, I was doing a little bit of surfing and I happened to come across a few people/vendors/mags that state that the stock 2010 CAI is pretty much as good as it gets...or much better than the stock 07-09 ones. My question is this...is it REALLY necessary to pay a premium for a CAI upgrade (JLT, C&L, Whipple, K&N, Steeda ect.). I know that the REAL magic comes from the tune, but is a new CAI worth the extra coin?

Scott

Speaking about the filter only I would say no. As long as the filter you are running is rated higher in CFM then the motor can flow then whey bother. Plus you keep the filter Ford feels is safe enough to clean the air.

This was a big issue on my diesel forum, now don't bash me, but the stock filter on my 07 duramax flows enough CFM to support over 500rwhp. Plus guys that ran oil based filters were messing up their mass air meters from to much oil on the filter.

I am going to spend my money on other parts. I am willing to bet out stock systems would support a pulley and tune with no problem.

On a street driven car, unless you want it for looks. Waste of money. To me that is.

I just added the JLT Carbon Fiber Intake Tube. It looks plain awesome, as the ford stock one looks a bit "frankenstein-ish". It should flow air better than the stock, and the nice whine is back... The other reason i did it is I wanted a strut tower brace. I dont care what anybody says, on a Vert, any extra stiffening of the chassis cant hurt. And it also looks great... I had JLT paint it for me in Kona Blue to match. Here is a pic (sorry for the low qual, its from my Blackberry).

post-24738-1252854952_thumb.jpg

post-24738-1252854952_thumb.jpg

Just found this on ford racings web site, Resonator eliminator kit for $60. Wish I would of found this earlier before I bought the JLT carbon fiber intake. Maybe thinking of changing, not a big fan of carbon fiber.

Nice that they (FRPP) havent invested in a digital camera, and cant show us a picture of what is being bought... lol

I wasnt sure on the carbon fiber either, but kinda like how it looks with the Kona blue strut brace over it...

I would do the JLT inlet just to get some blower sound back. There is a resonator on the 2010's which is basically a "blower whine muffler".

Chris,

Wasn't there a thread earlier that showed how to remove the resonator without replacing the piece. The resonator is just plastic welded in place. If push the tabs it slides right out.

Respectfully,

Roger

Chris,

Wasn't there a thread earlier that showed how to remove the resonator without replacing the piece. The resonator is just plastic welded in place. If push the tabs it slides right out.

Respectfully,

Roger

I am going to take mine apart tomorrow. I will update. If all this consists of are some plastic baffles or chambers, then they will be cut out. And looking at the size of this piece there is plenty of room to get a cutter in there.

I just had a chance to look under the hood today for the first time, did not get a good detailed look.

Speaking about the filter only I would say no. As long as the filter you are running is rated higher in CFM then the motor can flow then whey bother. Plus you keep the filter Ford feels is safe enough to clean the air.

On a street driven car, unless you want it for looks. Waste of money. To me that is.

I agree with you on this matter, Tdusseau. Just from a normal drivers stand point of day to day traveling. I don't really care for the appearance of the aftermarket one anyhow.

Archived