TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Header/exhaust advice

Hey all- for those of you who've installed headers, what brands did you get, would you do again?

I'm considering JBA Ceramic long tubes with 3" collectors,high flow catted x pipe and not sure on the axle back. Good setup? ANyone installed something better?

I've got this with the Shelby/JBA Cats and it is awesome. Perfect for me.

Hey all- for those of you who've installed headers, what brands did you get, would you do again?

I'm considering JBA Ceramic long tubes with 3" collectors,high flow catted x pipe and not sure on the axle back. Good setup? ANyone installed something better?

American Racing LT's 1 3/4" , would do it again.

The question of "the best headers" is a two-headed coin.

The factory manifolds are inefficient and heavy cast iron, and are worthless IMHO. However, improving over the OEM exhaust is a matter of "where do you want to go (HP wise)" and how much to spend getting there.

A while back, I installed the "Pypes" brand of shorty headers on LuLu. Why Pipes? Well, they were the cheapeast investment at that time. Believing I was going to stay with "bolt-ons" and N/A, they performed well (details in my sig). I might add that I do not believe any version of "shorties" are much different from each other in performance, headers can account for only so much in power improvements.

If you believe that you may shoot for high HP in the near future, pick a brand of long tube headers and high flow cats now. Otherwise, the expense of such a combination on an N/A SGT will not earn back your investment. Buy shorties and high flow cats. Likewise, axel-back systems do not improve performance, but they improve sound. Whatever floats your boat. eh?

Carry on, gents.

BTW, used Pypes shorty headers now available, e-me?

The factory manifolds are inefficient and heavy cast iron, and are worthless IMHO. However, improving over the OEM exhaust is a matter of "where do you want to go (HP wise)" and how much to spend getting there.

A while back, I installed the "Pypes" brand of shorty headers on LuLu. Why Pipes? Well, they were the cheapeast investment at that time. Believing I was going to stay with "bolt-ons" and N/A, they performed well (details in my sig). I might add that I do not believe any version of "shorties" are much different from each other in performance, headers can account for only so much in power improvements.

If you believe that you may shoot for high HP in the near future, pick a brand of long tube headers and high flow cats now. Otherwise, the expense of such a combination on an N/A SGT will not earn back your investment. Buy shorties and high flow cats. Likewise, axel-back systems do not improve performance, but they improve sound. Whatever floats your boat. eh?

Carry on, gents.

Mac,

I would like to send you a small welcome back present

web.jpg

I made these for the Shelby folks and they showed zero interest in them, we only made 4 of these prototypes.

If you will PM me your address I will get on in the mail to you

Take Care

Andrew Nagle

Carry on, gents.

I think I'm going to go with Kooks long tubes and hi-flow catted x-pipe. For the time being, I think the stock axle backs will stay in place, but may consider the KR mufflers later. (thinking hot rod or thumper cams along with the header swap, possibly heads or Vortech later down the road-discovered I only live 200 miles from Brenspeed!!)

I don't wish i lived closer to Brenspeed but i wish they lived closer to me, like about 1,000 miles.They seem to be cheaper than anyone i've talked to about cams, including Quantum Performance in Dallas. Quantum wants 2400.00 for installed cams, parts and labor.Brenspeed is less than half that price and seem very knowledgeable.

I think I'm going to go with Kooks long tubes and hi-flow catted x-pipe. For the time being, I think the stock axle backs will stay in place, but may consider the KR mufflers later. (thinking hot rod or thumper cams along with the header swap, possibly heads or Vortech later down the road-discovered I only live 200 miles from Brenspeed!!)

I have the Kooks long tubes and no catted x-pipe on mine and love them. Stay away from SLP I had to replace mine. They hung about 2" below the frame

I have the Kooks long tubes and no catted x-pipe on mine and love them. Stay away from SLP I had to replace mine. They hung about 2" below the frame

shelbydream1 i will beg you to listen to me on this. if you go 3 inch collectors you will not get as much power from the lts as you could. 3 inch is HUGE i have them i have NO back pressure at all and have lost about 15 hp from what i could have had because of it. the only reason to do 3 inch is for a supercharged or stroker application. im looking at doing a 302 stroker kit for my sgt then im going top it with a kenne bell supercharger. with a supercharger or stroker your gas flow will be high enough to have back pressure and you will see mid to large gains from the 3 inch collectors over a smaller system. if your not going to sc or stroker the crap out of your car, dont do it.

i will however tell you that the 3 inch jba system has the deepest and meanest sound of any of the exhaust systems you can get(the only system i have not heard is the american racing)

since i have had it retuned it sounds like a full blown race car at full throttle. at idle is has a nice soft lope to it(my car idles at about 550-650) very pleasing on the ears. im about to do the hotrod cams and with this system it will have a monstrous lope to it. the one thing you should note about the 3 inch jba is it is extremely loud at WOT. just putting around town its noticeable but quiet enough to not get you in trouble.

EDIT: if you want to know if i would use the same system if i did it all over again the answer would be yes. the sounds just to good not too

If you're sticking with an NA setup, either leave your factory manifolds alone or install shortys. The OEM exhaust 'logs' are a pretty damn good design as far as factory manifolds are concerned, IMO, but can definitely be improved upon. Shortys will offer a mid-range punch in the neighborhood of 10-15 HP with the right tune. I noticed zero torque loss after installing my JBA shortys. As WildAzCat mentioned, they are also a nice 'dress up' piece under the hood.

If you're going to add a blower or turbo, consider long tubes. Armorine is right, the bigger the exhaust pipe diameter, the less back pressure, which means less low end torque. With a roots style blower, however, you'll want to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible and 3" is the way to go. With a centrifugal blower, I'd stick with 2.5" exhaust, but maybe that's just me (extra HP comes on later with a Paxton as opposed to a Whipple - low end loss from bigger exhaust will be more noticeable with the centrifugal).

In California, long tubes won't pass smog, whether they have 'high flow cats' or not. Not sure how it works in Illinois. If I were to install long tubes, I'd go with a cat delete (full off road exhaust). Mac is right on about the axle-backs. There is no difference in HP gain when it comes to aftermarket mufflers. For the best sound, I'd follow Carl's lead and go with Magnaflow.

All in all, with a blower, here's my ideal setup:

Kooks or JBA long tubes (3" collector with a roots blower - 2 1/2" collector with a Paxton style)

Magnaflow off road x-pipe

Magnaflow or Ford Racing mufflers

With no blower, here's what I suggest:

OEM manifolds or shorty headers (Mac is right again. Brand makes zero difference, as the design remains the same.)

Shelby installed Ford Racing 2 1/2" catted x-pipe (Leave it alone. It's perfect for an NA engine.)

Good luck!

Ken

If you're sticking with an NA setup, either leave your factory manifolds alone or install shortys. The OEM exhaust 'logs' are a pretty damn good design as far as factory manifolds are concerned, IMO, but can definitely be improved upon. Shortys will offer a mid-range punch in the neighborhood of 10-15 HP with the right tune. I noticed zero torque loss after installing my JBA shortys. As WildAzCat mentioned, they are also a nice 'dress up' piece under the hood.

If you're going to add a blower or turbo, consider long tubes. Armorine is right, the bigger the exhaust pipe diameter, the less back pressure, which means less low end torque. With a roots style blower, however, you'll want to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible and 3" is the way to go. With a centrifugal blower, I'd stick with 2.5" exhaust, but maybe that's just me (extra HP comes on later with a Paxton as opposed to a Whipple - low end loss from bigger exhaust will be more noticeable with the centrifugal).

In California, long tubes won't pass smog, whether they have 'high flow cats' or not. Not sure how it works in Illinois. If I were to install long tubes, I'd go with a cat delete (full off road exhaust). Mac is right on about the axle-backs. There is no difference in HP gain when it comes to aftermarket mufflers. For the best sound, I'd follow Carl's lead and go with Magnaflow.

Kooks or JBA long tubes (3" collector with a roots blower - 2 1/2" collector with a Paxton style)

OEM manifolds or shorty headers (Mac is right again. Brand makes zero difference, as the design remains the same.)

Shelby installed Ford Racing 2 1/2" catted x-pipe (Leave it alone. It's perfect for an NA engine.)

Good luck!

Ken

4:10's are going to be my new best friends shortly :hysterical:

I told you man! :lol:

Especially with that ginormous exhaust you're running, you'll be awfully thankful to be packing some punch out of the gate again.

Ken

hahah yeah add in some hot rod cams and an aluminum driveshaft later and i'll be sitting high and mighty till i decide its time for a 302 stroker and kenne bell supercharger

Good luck!

Ken

For the time being I'm staying N/A. The Kooks have a 2 1/2 inch collector with 2 1/2" high flow catted x pipe. Also looking at adding cams (comp XFI NSR stage 2) and under dirve pulleys with a custom tune all in one shot through Brenspeed. I've been told by a couple of people that shorties aren't worth the effort as far as bumping HP at all.

(Possibly adding one of Brenspeed's supercharger packages in the future)

For the time being I'm staying N/A. The Kooks have a 2 1/2 inch collector with 2 1/2" high flow catted x pipe. Also looking at adding cams (comp XFI NSR stage 2) and under dirve pulleys with a custom tune all in one shot through Brenspeed. I've been told by a couple of people that shorties aren't worth the effort as far as bumping HP at all.

(Possibly adding one of Brenspeed's supercharger packages in the future)

I luv the sound of my Pypes muffler deletes, of course I'm sure im losing back pressure and h/p but it sounds awsome and is fun to drive, no annoying resonating when u let off the throttle and cruise at 55.

I just had Ford Racing hot rod cams and Ford Racing shorty headers installed on my Shelby GT at Quantum Performance. Left everything else on the exhaust original. It picked up 32 horsepower and 13 lbs of torque over a Quantum Performance tune that I was already running. It really changed the exhaust note and it now makes a really nice "cackle" at idle. I haven't been able to unwind her yet due to a lot of rain here in Dallas, but I am sure it will be a night and day difference.

I was looking for some different mufflers but I wanted to keep the original Shelby GT 4 inch exhaust tips. Seems like everything else is 3 or 3.5 inch.

This is the second mod I have had Quantum Performance do. I would highly recommend them. Kenny Northum and the boys over there are true professionals, knowlegeable about all Mustangs and do extremely high quality work. Mike Wilson the dyno guy knows all the tricks and tweaks to get everything out of the 4.6L!

I just had Ford Racing hot rod cams and Ford Racing shorty headers installed on my Shelby GT at Quantum Performance. Left everything else on the exhaust original. It picked up 32 horsepower and 13 lbs of torque over a Quantum Performance tune that I was already running. It really changed the exhaust note and it now makes a really nice "cackle" at idle. I haven't been able to unwind her yet due to a lot of rain here in Dallas, but I am sure it will be a night and day difference.

I was looking for some different mufflers but I wanted to keep the original Shelby GT 4 inch exhaust tips. Seems like everything else is 3 or 3.5 inch.

This is the second mod I have had Quantum Performance do. I would highly recommend them. Kenny Northum and the boys over there are true professionals, knowlegeable about all Mustangs and do extremely high quality work. Mike Wilson the dyno guy knows all the tricks and tweaks to get everything out of the 4.6L!

i have pictures on here of my shelby jba tips. theyr a shelby licensed product. i'll dig them up some where put they really make the back end "pop" i have had more coments on the shelby branded tips then almost everything else on my car. these are not the weld on tips you can get from shelby these are a product from jba for the shelby gt. theyr a highflow mufler package

EDIT: WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO my gears just arrived! all hail the "Gears of war!" :hysterical:

I luv the sound of my Pypes muffler deletes, of course I'm sure im losing back pressure and h/p but it sounds awsome and is fun to drive, no annoying resonating when u let off the throttle and cruise at 55.

You are NOT losing any power with a muffler delete program, I have tested this specific mod on my SGT and failed to reveal any power loss. Moreover, in contradicition to what was previously stated somewhere ^ there, you DO gain power when installing "shorty" style headers. The numbers are minimal yes (see my sig DYNO reports), but when supported by other bolt-ons in a minimal mod program, shorty headers DO develop power. Again, tested on LuLu with clean "before-after" methods as posted.

You are NOT losing any power with a muffler delete program, I have tested this specific mod on my SGT and failed to reveal any power loss. Moreover, in contradicition to what was previously stated somewhere ^ there, you DO gain power when installing "shorty" style headers. The numbers are minimal yes (see my sig DYNO reports), but when supported by other bolt-ons in a minimal mod program, shorty headers DO develop power. Again, tested on LuLu with clean "before-after" methods as posted.

Agreed 100%.

You've got to have one hell of a special muffler in order for it to affect power output, negatively or positively. Swapping mufflers (or deleting them, for that matter) will only affect the sound.

I have dyno sheets showing nearly 15 HP gain with my JBA shortys alone - all of the gains are in the mid-range RPM. The data also shows zero torque loss FYI.

Ken

Archived