TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Way to go guys

bpmurr

I still haven't seen a single photo of the alleged 2010 painted 'undercarriage' from the factory.

Tob, I too have asked to see this in one of my previous posts on this subject. Perhaps you have succumb to a bit of flatulence sir? :busted:

And Ian, you're a sharp guy.

Thanks Tob, I'm really glad that I completed my Education. ;)

...a troll is............

Enough said.

Apologies in advance, but I actually have a life that I am able to enjoy without trolling other peoples constructive efforts on this forum, and am going out for the day in my GT500. If you can post something in a manner more productive and beneficial to the other forum members whilst I am out, then I look forward to reading it when I return.

Edited to keep king Troll Tob quiet and under the bridge where he belongs. Hehehehe.. :talkhand:

:peelout:

I wouldn't drive the car with a bare axle housing. You see, some here think it might cause some sort of failure necessitating a TSB. Be careful out there Ian. You might go through a puddle!

If you can post something in a manor

You completed your education yet you want me to post in a manor? Like Wayne Manor, aka the Bat Cave?

Do you have some sort of moisture content reduction system in place there so as to mitigate your corrosion issue? Do tell!!

when I return

Say it isn't so. Trolls multiply quickly. Better to stay in your hermetically sealed GT500 environment - it is so much safer there.

Or maybe you could seek out the elusive pre-production car you think you saw and take another look.

Trolls await. Hurry back son.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

You're exactly right RP. I'll be on standby, waiting for the insurmountable evidence that is soon to be provided to crash down on my poor little '07-'09 world.

With recent graduates(?) hard at work I expect the data collected through 'hundreds of hours' of research to show up soon. And with no new DVD's out on release, I can't wait for the evidentiary Youtube video that is currently being produced.

Neither can Ford.

:lurk:

Egads SecretAgentIan, this popcorn is fabulous!

Tob,

What kind of Shelby do you have and where do you live? Curious if you are suffering from the same issue? If not, did you paint it or have someone else do the work?

DaFreak

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

You're exactly right RP. I'll be on standby, waiting for the insurmountable evidence that is soon to be provided to crash down on my poor little '07-'09 world.

With recent graduates(?) hard at work I expect the data collected through 'hundreds of hours' of research to show up soon. And with no new DVD's out on release, I can't wait for the evidentiary Youtube video that is currently being produced.

Neither can Ford.

:lurk:

Egads SecretAgentIan, this popcorn is fabulous!

Ford makes changes during production all the time. Job 1 cars are sometimes changed in job 2 cars. It's a known fact. Ford is not responsible to go back and change all the job 1 cars to the job 2 spec's. It would just run them into the poor house. If it's a safety issue, then that is a different story.

I talked to Ford direct and personaly about the un painted axle when I went to Dearborn. The guy at the time was John F. Moore - Shelby Resident Engineering Manager. Ralph Arning was there too. I asked the questions about the rear end in front of a entire room of TS members. The reason they were not painting them was to keep the cost down. Bottom line.

If it bothers you to have a un painted rear end....then I suggest you fix it yourself or hire it out. I just don't see a recall on this issue ever happening.

Here are some photos from the pre meeting in Dearborn just prior to the tour when I asked Ford about the rear axle paint issues.

Dearborn2008047.jpg

Dearborn2008049.jpg

Dearborn2008050.jpg

Dearborn2008051.jpg

Dearborn2008052.jpg

Dearborn2008053.jpg

Dearborn2008058.jpg

Dearborn2008059.jpg

Dearborn2008063.jpg

Hi Grabber,

Understood and agreed on the fix it yourself statement. What do you think is a fair price to have this done? Is it just the axle that needs the paint/finish or do other parts need it too?

DaFreak

Ford makes changes during production all the time. Job 1 cars are sometimes changed in job 2 cars. It's a known fact. Ford is not responsible to go back and change all the job 1 cars to the job 2 spec's. It would just run them into the poor house. If it's a safety issue, then that is a different story.

I talked to Ford direct and personaly about the un painted axle when I went to Dearborn. The guy at the time was John F. Moore - Shelby Resident Engineering Manager. Ralph Arning was there too. I asked the questions about the rear end in front of a entire room of TS members. The reason they were not painting them was to keep the cost down. Bottom line.

If it bothers you to have a un painted rear end....then I suggest you fix it yourself or hire it out. I just don't see a recall on this issue ever happening.

Here are some photos from the pre meeting in Dearborn just prior to the tour when I asked Ford about the rear axle paint issues.

Dearborn2008047.jpg

Dearborn2008049.jpg

Dearborn2008050.jpg

Dearborn2008051.jpg

Dearborn2008052.jpg

Dearborn2008053.jpg

Dearborn2008058.jpg

Dearborn2008059.jpg

Dearborn2008063.jpg

I believe ford stopped painting the rearend assemblies on thier cars in the late 80's. So its not a new thing happening

all of their cars should be painted it helps with corrosion and makes the underbody blend in. Anytime my car has been on a lift somewhere I get asked about it not being painted so there you go its alittle out of the norm for something that cost more than the normal garden variety car and it sticks out. Maybe Ford has learned its better to have it done than to have it look unfinished especially when you are trying to promote a image of quality and workmanship on your product.

Grabber painted his own and others have as well I plan to when I switch my assembly out for a 3.73 setup from ford racing which comes painted already who would have thunk it :poke:

Hi Grabber,

Understood and agreed on the fix it yourself statement. What do you think is a fair price to have this done? Is it just the axle that needs the paint/finish or do other parts need it too?

DaFreak

It's just the Axle and the weights on the ends. The drive line needs it too. I think I spent 4 hours one evening working on prep and masking. Then a few hours the next evening painting. I'm very fussy and took my time. I try to enjoy my time that I spend working on my car. It's a hobby / passion for me.

The next morning I spent a couple hours removing the masking and putting the tires back on. The materials are cheap. Some spray paint, rust converter, sand paper and masking tape and painters plastic to cover the entire car.

$20 bucks materials

9-10 hours of labor in 3 sittings due to allowing primer / rust converter and paint to dry

I could see this costing $250 to $300 bucks if you hired it out because it takes some time in between the steps.

RearEndRustRepair004.jpg

RearEndRustRepair005.jpg

RearEndRustRepair006.jpg

RearEndRustRepair015.jpg

RearEndRustRepair018.jpg

RearEndRustRepair019.jpg

RearEndRustRepair020.jpg

RearEndRustRepair024.jpg

Blue--at least brush on some inhibitor to stop the growth.Then spray it later

That's a good idea...I wouldn't have to tape everything up with just the inhibitor applied - could do that rather quickly. I think it dries black anyway...if I remember in Grabbers post. So at least for now there'd be some protection and cover up of the rusty bits. I'll definitely do that real soon.

What kind of Shelby do you have and where do you live? Curious if you are suffering from the same issue? If not, did you paint it or have someone else do the work?

DaFreak

I have a 2009 model and am located in the rust belt but avoid driving during salty, snowy conditions.;) Yes, I had the same issue other 2005-2010 owners suffer.

I took care of it myself.

Grabber painted his own and others have as well I plan to when I switch my assembly out for a 3.73 setup from ford racing which comes painted already who would have thunk it

kb, unless FRPP is receiving updated axle assemblies from the Sterling Axle Plant, they aren't painted. Aske me how I know.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9db00b3...3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9db05b3...3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9db04b3...3D720/ry%3D480/

Nothing any 2005-2010 owner couldn't accomplish with some sockets from Sears and a little determination. :dance:

More here.

Tob

Archived