TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker refuses to read tags from MP3s

jcthorne

I need some help with the MP3 function on the Shaker500.

I made several cds with albums of mp3s each in thier own folder. One folder deep as directed in the owners manual. Files are encoded at either 128 or 160 kbps or at a VBR near that.

THe files all play fine, its the text display that is a problem. Most of the files only display the first letter of the artist, first letter of the track name and first letter of the album. Some work just fine. I have poured over the files using a good tag editor comparing files that work and files that don't and just cannot find anything that explains the difference. Could it be the encoder itself that is to blame even though I edit the tags manually after encoding so they sort properly in my database etc. Using Tag&Rename as a tag editor if it matters.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this. Same files display fine on a portable mp3 player and in winamp. They have the problem in my wifes 05GT also so its not just a bad player in my car. Or they all are defective......

I'm no expert here, but I read a post on another site (no longer available when I check the link) discussing the Shaker and MP3 tags. It said that the Shaker system can only read ID3V1 tags and that the Shaker will not be able to read all of the tag information if you burn ID3V2 or a combination of V1 and V2 (V1V2). If you need to change tags from ID3V2 to ID3V1, the article said you can using ID3 editing software (...the article linked to www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html...)

Good luck.

JR

I'm no expert here, but I read a post on another site (no longer available when I check the link) discussing the Shaker and MP3 tags. It said that the Shaker system can only read ID3V1 tags and that the Shaker will not be able to read all of the tag information if you burn ID3V2 or a combination of V1 and V2 (V1V2). If you need to change tags from ID3V2 to ID3V1, the article said you can using ID3 editing software (...the article linked to www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html...)

Good luck.

JR

Hmm. The files that work as well as the ones that do not have both V1 and V2 tags. But, still worth checking. Ill remove the v2 tags and burn a disk that way and report back.

Hmm. The files that work as well as the ones that do not have both V1 and V2 tags. But, still worth checking. Ill remove the v2 tags and burn a disk that way and report back.

Man this is technical. I'm going to need "MP3 101" when I get mine...I have never even listened to an ipod...I have no clue.

Dave

Exactly! What Dave said.

roller boy, do you have any vinyl? :hysterical2:

I remember the one Beavis and Butthead episode...where they house-sit for their teacher Van Driessen. His last words to them before walking out of the house were "Don't touch my 8-track collection, it's worth a lot of money". They then proceeded to think those were VHS tapes and were stuffing them in the VCR. :banghead::banghead:

AD

Well I can report that eliminating the V2 tags from the files and reburining the CDs fixed me up. V1 tags only is the correct formula for this deck. Seems strange for a new for 2007 deck to not only not read V2 tags but to be stumped by them into not working correctly. My 5 year old Diamond Rio gets that right and it is VERY obsolete (32MB). Oh well, problem solved.

As for those that need MP3 101, ask away. Might be one place I can contribute to the folks on this board. You won't get put down here. I might not know the BEST answer but think I can offer AN answer to most multimedia stuff.

James

Well I can report that eliminating the V2 tags from the files and reburining the CDs fixed me up. V1 tags only is the correct formula for this deck. Seems strange for a new for 2007 deck to not only not read V2 tags but to be stumped by them into not working correctly. My 5 year old Diamond Rio gets that right and it is VERY obsolete (32MB). Oh well, problem solved.

As for those that need MP3 101, ask away. Might be one place I can contribute to the folks on this board. You won't get put down here. I might not know the BEST answer but think I can offer AN answer to most multimedia stuff.

James

James, the tag problem is just as you said - a defect. the v2 tags have been standard for a long, long time. Kinda sad. However, I find the loading times of the CD player so slow that I refuse to use it.

To all you others, go, get an iPod for christmas. Import all your CDs using iTunes. The aux in connector on the '07's is the best feature they have. I have many days of music, every CD I have ever owned (and I worked for a radio station for 4 years, so it's quite a lot!) is available to me at any time.

If you need technical help with an iPod, I'm happy to provide it. They're a good purchase. (Like James, technical help is the one place I could actually be useful around here!)

- Tony

James, the tag problem is just as you said - a defect. the v2 tags have been standard for a long, long time. Kinda sad. However, I find the loading times of the CD player so slow that I refuse to use it.

To all you others, go, get an iPod for christmas. Import all your CDs using iTunes. The aux in connector on the '07's is the best feature they have. I have many days of music, every CD I have ever owned (and I worked for a radio station for 4 years, so it's quite a lot!) is available to me at any time.

If you need technical help with an iPod, I'm happy to provide it. They're a good purchase. (Like James, technical help is the one place I could actually be useful around here!)

- Tony

Ditto to what Tony Said, pony up (hehe) and get an IPOD, it is way easier than fudging around with CD's...and I'm willing to help as well!

Cheers,

Requis

- Tony

It would be great if someone posted a detailed process for newbies like me to get music from purchased music CDs to a new CD that I can then play in the Mustang. Do I have to use an ipod? What is the advantage to using an ipod...just more storage? I'm ignorant on the topic, so don't use too many technical terms or you'll lose me.

I was able to get the music "ripped" (I kinda understand that word) from my existing CDs on to my hard drive. NOw is it just a matter of copying them to a new CD? If so, help me with which type of CD to buy...there are about a gazillion different kinds (CD-RW, CD+RW, CD-R, etc.). I don't need to understand all the types, just tell me which one to buy. The other thing that confuses me is the two-step process to get any file on a CD. You have to download it first, then write it or something...please help me. :sos:

Dave

It would be great if someone posted a detailed process for newbies like me to get music from purchased music CDs to a new CD that I can then play in the Mustang. Do I have to use an ipod? What is the advantage to using an ipod...just more storage? I'm ignorant on the topic, so don't use too many technical terms or you'll lose me.

I was able to get the music "ripped" (I kinda understand that word) from my existing CDs on to my hard drive. NOw is it just a matter of copying them to a new CD? If so, help me with which type of CD to buy...there are about a gazillion different kinds (CD-RW, CD+RW, CD-R, etc.). I don't need to understand all the types, just tell me which one to buy. The other thing that confuses me is the two-step process to get any file on a CD. You have to download it first, then write it or something...please help me. :sos:

Dave

Ok, here's the guide to getting CD's to MP3's, and MP3's back on to a CD. In abbreviated form!

1) You need CD ripping software. I use cdex. Click the big green download button, then download again, then click the file called cdex_170b2_enu.exe

2) Run the file, it will install cdex on your PC.

3) Run the program. First thing to do, go to the "Options" Menu, choose settings, and click on the "Remote CD DB" tab. Type your email address is the appropriate field. Click ok. (Make up an email address if you want, doesn't matter)

4) Go back to the Options menu, choose settings again, and go to the "Generic" tab. Change the IDV3 option to IDV3-V1. Click Ok.

5) You're ready to RIP! Put an audio CD in.

6) Go to the CDDB menu, and choose "Read Remote FreeDB". This should find the CD and pull in the tags (track, album & artist info) for you. You may be presented with a couple choices, choose the right one.

7) Select all the tracks you want to rip, and press F9 (or the button "Extract CD Track(s) to Compressed Audio File(s).

At this point you'll end up with mp3's of the selected tracks in your "My Music" folder, in a subfolder called "MP3" You've succesfully ripped a CD. congrats.

Rinse & repeat for all your tunes.

Once you have a collection of MP3's, you may want to put a few albums worth on one CD. I make a "temporary" folder for this.

1) I use my desktop, and just right click and choose "New Folder".

2) Go into your My Music\MP3 folder mentioned above, and find the artist you want. Say Aerosmith. Go in to that folder, and choose the album you want... say "Big Ones". Right click that folder, and choose "Copy".

3) Go back into your temporary folder, and paste in the album you wanted. (Edit menu, paste).

Optional step: Go into the folder (in my example: desktop\new folder\big ones) and delete any songs you don't want on the CD.

4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 for any more albums you want. You can generally fit 700mb on a CD. To know how much you have, right click on the temp folder (New Folder in my example) and choose properties. Stop when it's close to that size.

5) Once you've selected all you're going to copy, go in to the temp folder and press ctrl-a (The control and A keys at the same time, alternatively go to the edit menu, choose select all). All the subfolders (albums) should be highlighted. Right click on one of them and choose "send to d:" (d: should be your CD drive).

A balloon tip will pop up on the lower right side of your screen about "files ready to be written to CD". Click it. A window should open, and in the top left should be an option to write the selected files. Pop in a blank CD, hit that option, and it should go.

Now you have a CD with all the MP3's you wanted. Yay!

Once you've practiced, you can easily see you can do things like mix & match what songs are in a given folder, etc.

As for an iPod... it eliminates this whole process, and the need for CDs altogether. Instead of putting your music on CDs you can carry ALL of your music on one device that fits in your pocket. Go to best buy & check them out. With an iPod, you install itunes. Getting music on it is easy - open itunes, put in a cd, and click the "Import CD" button. Done.

For what kind of CDs to get, generic CD-R's are fine. RW = rewritable, you shouldn't bother, the use once ones are so darn cheap. (Unless you're a treehugger). All the others aren't anything you need.

If any step needs clarified, lemme know! (Sorry this turned into a whole freakin book!)

- Tony

Ok, here's the guide to getting CD's to MP3's, and MP3's back on to a CD. In abbreviated form!

Wow, thanks kraeger. I will give this a try in the next week or so and let you know. I've copied and pasted it to my "GT500" document...which is a Word document into which I've now pasted 100 pages of material, including web sites, technical info, the timeline of ordering my car, and many other interesting facts.

Dave

Wow, thanks kraeger. I will give this a try in the next week or so and let you know. I've copied and pasted it to my "GT500" document...which is a Word document into which I've now pasted 100 pages of material, including web sites, technical info, the timeline of ordering my car, and many other interesting facts.

Dave

Do any of mine or SCGT's posts make it into your elite word document. :baby:

I have a feeling I am going to cry :cry::cry::cry:

Archived