TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Owner's Manual Update

Goats4ever

Roger :superhero: and I have discussed the plan to submit our data for the Owner's Manuals (OM). :happy feet:

Roger wants one point of contact (he gets a zillion messages and phone calls per day) so send all recommendations by 30 September to my e-mail address: Goats4ever@comcast.net :mail: . Please ensure you identify your type of car at the beginning of your e-mail. I will file into seperate folders and when all data is gathered I will send each file to Roger. If you have any suggestions once the deadline has passed, please send to me and I will forward to Roger.

Roger is taking our request very seriously and wants to produce a high quality product; he already has a stack of manuals sitting on his desk that the Detroit engineers will study to produce the final product. The final configuration may be a hard copy manual or a PDF file. The OM may be a seperate manual covering your specific application or an all emcompassing manual that covers all of our particular cars.

He wants SS owners that have had their cars for quite some time to give as much data as possible.

Roger said the task will take some time so please be patient. He will keep us updated via this thread.

Thanks from all us of Roger for taking action!

Thank you,

Jim :salute:

08SS0215

Vista Blue, 725 HP, 427 NASCAR Package, Cooling Package

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roger :superhero: and I have discussed the plan to submit our data for the Owner's Manuals (OM). :happy feet:

Roger wants one point of contact (he gets a zillion messages and phone calls per day) so send all recommendations by 30 September to my e-mail address: Goats4ever@comcast.net :mail: . Please ensure you identify your type of car at the beginning of your e-mail. I will file into seperate folders and when all data is gathered I will send each file to Roger. If you have any suggestions once the deadline has passed, please send to me and I will forward to Roger.

Roger is taking our request very seriously and wants to produce a high quality product; he already has a stack of manuals sitting on his desk that the Detroit engineers will study to produce the final product. The final configuration may be a hard copy manual or a PDF file. The OM may be a seperate manual covering your specific application or an all emcompassing manual that covers all of our particular cars.

He wants SS owners that have had their cars for quite some time to give as much data as possible.

Roger said the task will take some time so please be patient. He will keep us updated via this thread.

Thanks from all us of Roger for taking action!

Thank you,

08SS0215

Vista Blue, 725 HP, 427 NASCAR Package, Cooling Package

Jim, Thnx for taking this on. This will be huge for all of us SS owners. I have a Vista Blue, 725hp coupe too. I've only had it back a couple of months, so I probably won't have anything to add of value. If you need any help, I am available, just ask.

Good luck with it.

BJ

Below is an excellent example of what we would write in the Owner's Manual.

Submitted by Dan: MY500SS

"Here is some input for the manual. My air filter is looking dirty after around 3500 miles so I talked to Kenne Bell today about cleaning the filter. Turns out Kenne Bell had K&N air filters manufacture the filters for the SS 725 package. So per Kenne Bell, use the K&N Recharger Filter Care Service Kit #99-5000 to clean the air filter. Instructions included with the kit."

Thx Dan!!!

This should be supported by every SS owner. With an email reply to Jim.

Goats4ever@comcast.net

and a +++++++ 1 in this post and with more suggestions.

What should be listed in the SS Owners Manual?

A complete list of SS standard features - parts.

at time of printing.

A complete list of available optional upgrades.

Including part #'s for the part manufacturers/suppliers involved in the SS package.

1. FORD - FRPP

2. SHELBY

3. Whipple

4. Eaton

5. Kenne Bell

6. Eibach

7. Baer

8. Alcoa

9. Scott Drake

10. Borla

11. JBA

12. Gary Disney - upholstery.

13. Dynotech

14. Autometer

15. Jacket manufacturer.

Did I forget a manufacturer or supplier?

Parts fail.

The SS ... GOD forbid, may be involved in an accident and we need to order replacement parts.

Regardless. We need GREAT documentation on our SS's.

Parts/equipment always need proper maintenance and service.

SAI recommended parts and service intervals should be noted somewhere.

1. Oil - engine, 5W-50, MOTORCRAFT, PN XO-5W50-QGT - meeting the B specs

2. SC coolant, specs? how many quarts, liters ??? capacity?? new SHELBY cooling system? capacity?

3. Rear diff - recommended oil, capacity? weight?

4. Filter(S), CAI, maintenance ? replacement part # ?

Oil filter? of course - FRPP - M-6731-FL820

5. What octane fuel. 91

6. Leather interior care?

7. SC maintenance, replacement belt? - part #?

8. Any special ALCOA wheel care? are the rims clear coated?

9. Suspension maintenance??

10. Replacement parts for the BRAKES. pads?

11. Rear tail lights. are they LED or bulbs? if one burns out, whats the part # for replacement?

12. Care and maintenance on the SS exterior stripes.

13. Fiberglass hood. Anything special on maintenance?

14. the SHELBY lettering. what if a letter comes off. replacement part #?

15. Carbon fiber pieces - replacement part #'s? any special care?

16. Brake duct kit. I am sure the hose will eventually dry rot and need replacement.

I would pay extra for this item.

Especially if it was in a really really nice LEATHER portfolio. :happy feet::)

Back in the day Ford made the Mustang. Ford issued a Owners Manual. Then SHELBY modified the Mustang and created the GT350/500. These had their own "Owners Manual".

The SS should have its own "OWNERS MANUAL"

Please support this POST with positive feedback & suggestions.

Many thanks to Jim for facilitating this post and Roger @ SAI for the follow through.

How the rear window scoops are held on and what to use if they come off

How the body side scoops are mounted and held on; what to use if loose

The Mafia sensor under my hood came off, what kind of heat tape to hold it on?? Needs to be high temp or will come off again.

How to polish Kenne Bell super Charger

Shelby tune or Kenne Bell tune?? Are they the same?

How to care for Flat Black stripes

Spark plugs?

Routine maintanence and what type at what mileage points

Hood pin adjustments

Floor and trunk mat care

All of the above, and PLEASE include the 40th package and the unique items for the 40th i.e. hood extracter grill, exclusive Shelby silver stripe and all of the options available on that package with the corresponding replacement part #'s.

Thanks, Mark

This would be a AWESOME item to have, :happy feet: it would be nice just to look up information in your manual instead of being on the phone with all of our questions

You are correct! And I'm sure Roger will welcome a reduction in CALLS and e-mails!!! We have an excellent start with compiling owner's recommendations! KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING TO MY ADDRESS: Goats4ever@comcast.net.

Sept 30 is the deadline for input.

Thanks to all!

Thanks again Jim and Steve for spearheading this project.

some great suggestions on this thread.....

I've only had my SS for about a month but I will try to come up with some ideas for the manual.

ROn

I have to echo the thanks sentiment, this is a great thing for all SS owners to have, kudos to you for organizing it.

I don't have anything that immediately springs to mind outside of what has been posted already but will keep thinking about it and come back if I do.

How about info related to the check engine lights. I've had 2 separate occasions when light has come on with the latest being that my inter-cooler pump was not working. My guys at Chicane (local excellent SoCal tuner guys I use) fixed it but what are the generic concerns with our kinds of systems and what should we do or not do when we see a light? (Like stop driving immediately?)

How about info related to the check engine lights. I've had 2 separate occasions when light has come on with the latest being that my inter-cooler pump was not working. My guys at Chicane (local excellent SoCal tuner guys I use) fixed it but what are the generic concerns with our kinds of systems and what should we do or not do when we see a light? (Like stop driving immediately?)

Poohtang! Excellent information. The OM data collection is shaping up nicely.

Thx,

Jim

Sorry this may be a bit late but...

If planning on racing the car on track seriously consider installing an axle oil overflow catchmet tank. First two times i went to the track with my SS after the oil heats up you get fair amount of oveflow from the axle. We installed a home made overflow catchment tank and fixed the problem. I now have one of the KR overflow tanks on order to officially address the problem.

I also lost on of my rear window louvres at 140 mph on the track !!! It was just held on with tape, nothing a bit of fibreglass repair, paint and more tape didnt fix, but be warned at that speed wind can be deadly to the louvres haha.

Craig Dean from Mustang Motorsport (Australias only authorised Shelby Mod Shop) fixed both problems for free, now thats service. :yahoo:

Thats another one to put down, where and who to get these cars serviced and keep them running in fine tune.

Sorry this may be a bit late but...

If planning on racing the car on track seriously consider installing an axle oil overflow catchmet tank. First two times i went to the track with my SS after the oil heats up you get fair amount of oveflow from the axle. We installed a home made overflow catchment tank and fixed the problem. I now have one of the KR overflow tanks on order to officially address the problem.

I also lost on of my rear window louvres at 140 mph on the track !!! It was just held on with tape, nothing a bit of fibreglass repair, paint and more tape didnt fix, but be warned at that speed wind can be deadly to the louvres haha.

Craig Dean from Mustang Motorsport (Australias only authorised Shelby Mod Shop) fixed both problems for free, now thats service. :yahoo:

Thats another one to put down, where and who to get these cars serviced and keep them running in fine tune.

Thanks for the excellent input. You mentioned "held on with tape," you mean the double sided sticky tape.

Thanks for the excellent input. You mentioned "held on with tape," you mean the double sided sticky tape.

Sure looked like it, it is probably something strong then normal tape, but i am no expert.

How else do you think they mount them i guess ?..

It would have being real nice to have functional scoops but that would cost too much, still i would have liked it.

I think its a pretty common problem, one guy i know down here has lost his before as well (non SS, just regular

GT500 ....is that an oxymoron, a regular GT500...sorry, i meant his GT500)

No where to drill in some screws or rivets !!!

This is awesome!

When I picked up my SS I received no information. I did not even receive the wrench for the Eibach coil overs.

The KB developed a leak where the front case meets the main case. I was referred to Ken at KB. Ken was amazing, a super guy to deal with. He sent me a maintenance PDF that illustrates how to check the oil. I assumed the big screw on top of the KB was a filler plug but I didn't know it had a dipstick attached nor did I know that there are two different oil levels, one for race-high boost. Will KB be around in 40 years...I probably won't be. Who will know what oil to put in the KB to keep it running in 40 years. We can only get the oil from KB. What about the belt? Any information that will be helpfull 40 years from now should be included to assist those who will keep these cars running.

I ended up buying the full set of pulleys an extra belt, oil, tuner with shoot-out tune. I will build a nice wooden box and keep these with the car.

A week before the SAAC show a well known GT500 restorer came over to my house to photograph the engine compartment of my '68 for final preparation of a concourse car he was entering in the show. He told me several times it is the best survivor car he has seen, he only restores Shelbys. An official photo documentation series of the SS should be considered.

FYI, I went through all of my off parts to consolidate them into fewer boxes so they would fit in the garage. I found the information for most of the parts in there with the off parts. I found: Kenne Bell Install & Owners Manual, Baer Brakes Info, Borla Exhaust info, Eibach Coil overs info, and Kicker Install info.

Cheers

Brett

FYI, I went through all of my off parts to consolidate them into fewer boxes so they would fit in the garage. I found the information for most of the parts in there with the off parts. I found: Kenne Bell Install & Owners Manual, Baer Brakes Info, Borla Exhaust info, Eibach Coil overs info, and Kicker Install info.

Cheers

Brett

That's interesting. I did the same thing and there was no info in my boxes.

BJ

Same here. I was missing a part as well, but Roger is replacing.

Jim

Jim:

How the hell did you know you were missing something??? There are so many parts! :hysterical: Just kidding. There is a bunch of stuff there, but I am assuming it was something obvious. :doh:

Most of the install instructions where in the boxes with the off parts in the original plastic bags, unopened.

Cheers

Brett

Jim:

How the hell did you know you were missing something??? There are so many parts! :hysterical: Just kidding. There is a bunch of stuff there, but I am assuming it was something obvious. :doh:

Most of the install instructions where in the boxes with the off parts in the original plastic bags, unopened.

Cheers

Brett

Brett,

One of the stock disc brake backing plates was missing. As you know, the install instructions do not give any maintenance guidance, but the OM will on all parts.

Cheers!

Brett,

One of the stock disc brake backing plates was missing. As you know, the install instructions do not give any maintenance guidance, but the OM will on all parts.

Cheers!

Yes, absolutely. Most of the info was installation details. The Kenne Bell package was the only real owners manual. The Baer Brakes package did include seasoning instructions. Thank you.

Cheers

Brett

Yes, absolutely. Most of the info was installation details. The Kenne Bell package was the only real owners manual. The Baer Brakes package did include seasoning instructions. Thank you.

Cheers

Brett

I agree, info on bedding the brakes and also info on compatible/recomended brake fluid and replacement pads. My brakes are in need of bleeding since the rear six pistons have been installed. Right now, after one pump their tight. Thanks, Mark

Archived