TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Netherlands - USA 400 yrs friendship

Sept 8, 1609. A small ship, de Halve Maan (Half Moon), sales into the bay of Manna Hatta. The Statue of Liberty was not there yet. This was the beginning of New Amsterdam. So the roots of modern day New Yorkers lies in the Dutch society. Hard working optimists. Today is the day that our future king and his wife are in New York to start these celebration with 21 salute shots.

Did you know that in 1776 The Netherlands was the first country in the world that recognized the United States as an independent nation?

Did you know that the Declaration of Independence was based on the same document in which the Dutch separated from Spain after 80 yrs of war and resistance against Spain?

Did you know that The Netherlands is the third greatest investor in the USA? And that for a country with 16 million people.

I am waiting.

As a New Yorker, I am familiar with the Dutch roots of our great city and State.........although I was not aware of the specifics as stated by PJ.

Thank you sir..........Dale has visited your great country and is anxious to go back and share it with me......I look forward to the day when I can see it first hand.

And was it our great native Americans that introduced the future cafe owners of Amsterdam to a product that would one day outdo coffee? :lurk:

Sept 8, 1609. A small ship, de Halve Maan (Half Moon), sales into the bay of Manna Hatta. The Statue of Liberty was not there yet. This was the beginning of New Amsterdam. So the roots of modern day New Yorkers lies in the Dutch society. Hard working optimists. Today is the day that our future king and his wife are in New York to start these celebration with 21 salute shots.

Did you know that in 1776 The Netherlands was the first country in the world that recognized the United States as an independent nation?

Did you know that the Declaration of Independence was based on the same document in which the Dutch separated from Spain after 80 yrs of war and resistance against Spain?

Did you know that The Netherlands is the third greatest investor in the USA? And that for a country with 16 million people.

I am waiting.

Yes, the Dutch have had it together for a long, long time. The Dutch also are one of the first nations to establish insurance and also commerce. Sound country and good people we have a lot to owe to.

SAS

Arizona

I believe that the Netherlands also have a very good national health care system too.

http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/...e_like_Neth.php

:hide:

I believe that the Netherlands also have a very good national health care system too.

http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/...e_like_Neth.php

:hide:

Yep, it is a good role model for a new US system. We pay half of what you pay for health insurance with very good care.

Hey! This just in:

Marijuana Tourists No Longer Welcome In Dutch Coffee Shops

nrc.nl — The Dutch government wants to maintain its tolerant policy towards cannabis and keep so-called coffee shops open, but they should no longer be tourist attractions, Dutch ministers wrote in a letter that was leaked to the press on Tuesday. A government memorandum on altering the coffee shop policy and other drug-related issues is expected this fall.

More…

http://www.nrc.nl/international/article235...ng_coffee_shops

:rant2:

I don't smoke and I don't use, but if anyone wants too I don't care as long as it stays where it belongs. In the coffeeshops nobody bothers someone.

I think this new policy is for border shops. A lot of so called tourists come from Germany and Belgium just over the border to get there stuff. In Amsterdam it is different, but who knows.

I don't smoke and I don't use, but if anyone wants too I don't care as long as it stays where it belongs. In the coffeeshops nobody bothers someone.

I think this new policy is for border shops. A lot of so called tourists come from Germany and Belgium just over the border to get there stuff. In Amsterdam it is different, but who knows.

Thats funny I figured it wouldn't be too long before you got annoyed by the mention of the #1 cash crop.

The reason why people from the USA mention this is because the first things that come to our minds when we think of Amsterdam is the SEXY ladies in the windows smiling so invitingly at us B) :wub::yahoo: :devil: the second thing is the coffee shops :beerchug: :grouphug:

I love the openmindness of Amsterdam I wish the good ole USA could share even more of Amsterdams policies.

Thanks for the history. Now I have another reason to love the Netherlands.

Marji and I just got home the Netherlands last month, our second time visiting. Beautiful places, friendly people ( as long as you don't walk on the bike path ) and fantastic food.

Our son, Danny, is travaling through the area now. Started in Spain, headed to Belgium next and on to Amsterdam after that.

Not many Americans know the story. I was assigned to a US Navy Frigate in 2007 and we participated in a re-enactment of this event at St. Eustatias. For those that don't know the story, the dutch fort offered a gun salute to a ship flying the U.S. Flag (officially recognizing our independence). They paid for it dearly. The British later sank a bunch of vessels at Statia in retribution.

Pretty interesting story and it was great to be a part of the celebration. Hey, the diving wasn't bad either :)

Archived