TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shift Sheet

yraegel

Ok, I just went out on the highway to specifically do some quick shifts on a couple of entrance ramps. Got the grind right off the bat. With all of the other people who are complaining about this, and the fact that I've pretty much exclusively driven manuals since the early eighties, I can't chalk it up to pilot error anymore. For the record, my problems are only with 1st to 2nd. I really do love the feel of the clutch and the gearbox in every other respect and have gotten pleasantly surprised quick shifting into 3rd on numerous occasions without a hitch - ever.

I'm going to visit my dealer (get your mind out of the gutter) next week and I am bringing this up. This is the third topic that I know of for this issue and somebody suggested a spreadsheet. I'd rather do a separate new topic for it if that's ok and I'm all for putting it together. Before I do, let's decide what it's for and what it should have.

I'd like to have a spreadsheet of other owners who have experienced the problem to possibly show to my dealer or Ford if anyone starts playing the "you abused it - out of warranty" card. I also will print out the Car and Driver article mentioning the problem. The engine has electronic overrev protection so I shouldn't be in a position to abuse the gearbox. The only mishap (?) I had was deccelerating off the highway and accidentaly grabbing 2nd instead of 4th. The engine wah, wahed as it hit the rev limiter and I caught it quick - but no grinding at all. That was at night and the instruments got all pretty and red :P

I suggest we collect real names, VIN's, and some sort of contact info i.e. email, cell phone, whatever.

I also suggest that at least for now that the spreadsheet not be published because of the contact information.

But that's just me.... Please chime in with your thoughts on this if you have experienced this problem and want to start doing something about it. This fourm is a great place for this in my opinion and I look to advice from those of you who have contacted Ford before or have contacts there. I really think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. And if Ford decides I am doing something wrong, then I would at least like a lube change on the gearbox as a minimum.

PM me for now if you want me to take your information and I'll start a spreadsheet and keep it private for now. And like I said, all advice is appreciated.

Dave

Dave---Id call the Tremec folks and get their response--they were very helpful when I called and found out about the skip shift feature we all have and didnt know we had it.

I havent noticed it but havent done any 6000 shifts yet,just 5500.As an engineer i have to wonder though, why would it shift OK 2-3 and 3-4 and higher hp and torque--seems like if it were a clucth issue, youd see it at every shift.Im wondering if its the skip shift.Couldnt you disable the skp shift relay and see if it still happens--I know the vette guys have been doing that for years.bob

I havent noticed it but havent done any 6000 shifts yet,just 5500.As an engineer i have to wonder though, why would it shift OK 2-3 and 3-4 and higher hp and torque--seems like if it were a clucth issue, youd see it at every shift.Im wondering if its the skip shift.Couldnt you disable the skp shift relay and see if it still happens--I know the vette guys have been doing that for years.bob

at the end of the day tremec cant do crap about it Ford has to.

The reason it does it in first (and it happens to me at the track on the 2-3 shift too) is because the gear cluster is spinning much faster for those gears than higher gears.

at the end of the day tremec cant do crap about it Ford has to.

The reason it does it in first (and it happens to me at the track on the 2-3 shift too) is because the gear cluster is spinning much faster for those gears than higher gears.

Good input on the spinning rpm affecting 2 shft.I stll think Tremec was helpful,and may have good input on the issue,including saying its in the clutch

Archived