TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sturgis Mustang Rally

cloud9

Well we had a great time at the Sturgis Mustang Rally. The weather was perfect and the Black Hills offer about the most picturesque twisty highways you will ever find with your Shelby. My wife took a video during one of my drag runs Saturday night. I was matched up against the formidable 725 HP Shelby Super Snake with the KB blower. Both of us were running Nitto 555R drag radials. Don't underestimate that little TVS....... :ninja: I think he was taken a little bit by surprise :yup:

My wife gets a little carried away with the play by play :hysterical:

From all the testing I have done with the Tvs and the Whipple 2.9. As well as seeing 1/4 mile times and dyno results for the KB's. Never underestimate the Tvs. The bigger s/c's for the most part make higher peak hp and tq but the Tvs especially when modified like I had mine usually had more in the low and mid range, it also seems to allow the engine to rev faster than most of the bigger s/c's. This is the perfect combination for an 1/8 mile drag race.

Congrats on the victory!! Even if it was against one of our own!

Now if you take a Whipple 2.9 and run the 10% lower and 2.75" custom upper pulley.....(I had a few hundred miles on with the 2.85") then you are talking a different story............and as they say that "is a different story!" :hysterical:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Massive H.P. ain't poop if you can't get it to the ground, and unless your able/willing to make an additional $4,000.00 commitment to install wider rear wheels, wider tires, and the required Watts link so the wider tires don't shread apart in the wheel wells, there is a very good chance that there will be more outcomes like the one in the video.

Cloud9 won that race by a wide margin. That would indicate that the 725 SS was probably spinning his tires from green to well past the 60' mark and probably well into the 100' mark before he started regain some traction.

A very interesting case study between the two blowers in my opinion.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Massive H.P. ain't poop if you can't get it to the ground, and unless your able/willing to make an additional $4,000.00 commitment to install wider rear wheels, wider tires, and the required Watts link so the wider tires don't shread apart in the wheel wells, there is a very good chance that there will be more outcomes like the one in the video.

Cloud9 won that race by a wide margin. That would indicate that the 725 SS was probably spinning his tires from green to well past the 60' mark and probably well into the 100' mark before he started regain some traction.

There's been a lot of discussion about the merits of the different blowers. I posted this as one data point. It certainly doesn't end the discussion. It just seems the "little brother" TVS has been dismissed in the after-market blower discussions when talking about serious blowers. I am asking my car to do a lot.....probably too much....but I think the TVS is a great utility infielder that doesn't necessarily mean you compromise winning races. My car is a daily driver from Apr-Nov, a road course racer running up against much lighter Vettes, Porsches, etc, and a drag car. There are obviously trade-offs and if I could convince my wife that having three cars would be the best option, I probably would :hysterical:

There's been a lot of discussion about the merits of the different blowers. I posted this as one data point. It certainly doesn't end the discussion. It just seems the "little brother" TVS has been dismissed in the after-market blower discussions when talking about serious blowers. I am asking my car to do a lot.....probably too much....but I think the TVS is a great utility infielder that doesn't necessarily mean you compromise winning races. My car is a daily driver from Apr-Nov, a road course racer running up against much lighter Vettes, Porsches, etc, and a drag car. There are obviously trade-offs and if I could convince my wife that having three cars would be the best option, I probably would :hysterical:

The Tvs for what it is designed to do is certainly right up there and should never be dismissed as just a little supercharger. If they ever made that design in a 2.8 or larger there would be a lot of shake up in the S/C aftermarket world.......If they would keep the price down!

Congrats again! Your car is what they were meant to be, daily driver that kicks butt all around!

I agree completely. The TVS should garner more respect, and your win is a very good example as to why it should never be dismissed as inadquate compared to the other after market blowers. Eaton has been in the supercharger business much longer than most of the after market blower companies; they have a serious R&D department, so they know how to make a good blower that works harmoniously with the 5.4 engine.

The Tvs for what it is designed to do is certainly right up there and should never be dismissed as just a little supercharger. If they ever made that design in a 2.8 or larger there would be a lot of shake up in the S/C aftermarket world.......If they would keep the price down!

Congrats again! Your car is what they were meant to be, daily driver that kicks butt all around!

Thanks Steve. Now if only I could have one car with a TVS and one with a Whipple 2.9 like you! :bowdown:

I agree completely. The TVS should garner more respect, and your win is a very good example as to why it should never be dismissed as inadquate compared to the other after market blowers. Eaton has been in the supercharger business much longer than most of the after market blower companies; they have a serious R&D department, so they know how to make a good blower that works harmoniously with the 5.4 engine.

You're exactly right. They sure seem to have gotten a lot out of a little package and the power is smooth and strong through the RPM range. It literally drives as well or better than stock and the power/torque is there immediately. I find on the road course that the power is very manageable when powering out of turns. You can drive through turns in a higher gear than most cars due to the torque being available at lower RPMs allowing for less downshifting and smoother driving.

You're exactly right. They sure seem to have gotten a lot out of a little package and the power is smooth and strong through the RPM range. It literally drives as well or better than stock and the power/torque is there immediately. I find on the road course that the power is very manageable when powering out of turns. You can drive through turns in a higher gear than most cars due to the torque being available at lower RPMs allowing for less downshifting and smoother driving.

Nice run cloud9! Are you running a pullie or lower? What tune are you running?

Well we had a great time at the Sturgis Mustang Rally. The weather was perfect and the Black Hills offer about the most picturesque twisty highways you will ever find with your Shelby. My wife took a video during one of my drag runs Saturday night. I was matched up against the formidable 725 HP Shelby Super Snake with the KB blower. Both of us were running Nitto 555R drag radials. Don't underestimate that little TVS....... :ninja: I think he was taken a little bit by surprise :yup:

My wife gets a little carried away with the play by play :hysterical:

way to go...keep having fun with that car. how fast was the run?

I was there and witnessed the race. Cloud9 ran well all night for sure. The SS (his name is Jeff) spund his tires almost the entire way. He did not win a race that I remember.

way to go...keep having fun with that car. how fast was the run?

It was only an 1/8 so my trap was 96 MPH, but I did get a 1.7x 60' so would have been a pretty decent 1/4. We were at 3300 ft above sea level, but one of the regulars who was driving a rail said the air density that night was equivalent to 6800 ft so boost was way, way down. Car still ran strong, but obviously not going to put up sea level times.

I was there and witnessed the race. Cloud9 ran well all night for sure. The SS (his name is Jeff) spund his tires almost the entire way. He did not win a race that I remember.

Thanks. What a great event. They reported over 800 Mustangs made it out for the Rally. The Sioux Falls Corvette Club guys that I race with were envious that we had that many cars. They have been hosting the Black Hills Corvette Classic for years and don't get those kind of numbers. I can't wait for next year. :happy feet: It was so cool to see that many Mustangs in one place and to meet some really great people.

Thanks. What a great event. They reported over 800 Mustangs made it out for the Rally. The Sioux Falls Corvette Club guys that I race with were envious that we had that many cars. They have been hosting the Black Hills Corvette Classic for years and don't get those kind of numbers. I can't wait for next year. :happy feet: It was so cool to see that many Mustangs in one place and to meet some really great people.

My wife and I have been going since Rally #1 and we have been recruiting ever since. It is an awesome rally. We drive 833 miles there and 833 miles back and never see another Shelby. We get there and there are 30+ of them . . . very cool, not to mention all the classics this year! IMO, in a short time, it will become one of the premier rallies. Already much more in store for next year, can't wait.

Traction.....Driver.....Power.....Supercharger choices........

LOTS to consider here folks...

Jeff(The SS) is on 275 drag radials and Gary(Cloud9) was on 305's.

I don't know Jeff's driving abilities, but I know Gary's are very good.

I can not make any judgement on superchargers based on this type of race.

Way too many variables and driver alone could have been the difference, and likely was, as they both should put down approximately 640 rwhp.

The TVS is an awesome blower, but so is the KB 2.8H.

Congrats on the run & we had fun!!!!

The Rally was a blast!!!

It was great watching Gary blast down the track the way he did that night. I was down behind the wall at the starting line, so I got to see his awesome reaction times up close. What was that one near zero reaction time - .004 or something? :banvictory:

I agree with Josh, Gary is one heck of a drag racer! :beerchug:

Not to hijack Gary's thread, but I wanted to post a couple more bits of info on the 3rd Annual Sturgis Mustang Rally.

Show & Shine Mustangs registered - 430

Total Mustangs in attendance - 738

Not too shabby for only the 3rd year. :banvictory:

And, to brag a little myself - we managed to finish 2nd at the Show & Shine in our class - 2007-2010 Shelby GT500 Coupes & Convertibles, which numbered around 34. There were 41 cars total in the Shelby class. We were both shocked and very pleased with the finish, as our car is still fairly stock, and there were quite a few really nicely appointed GT500's showing.

Hope we have a much bigger Shelby showing next year at the 4th Annual event - it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of Mustang events to participate in, including a few really fun runs up into the Black Hills. :shift:

Beautiful car:) And get a new video person:)

Thanks. Yea, it was recorded on a digital camera so need a real video camera. My friends actually laughed pretty hard at the wife's commentary as they know the battle I go through to get mods "approved" and she kinda made that point pretty clear.

Not to hijack Gary's thread, but I wanted to post a couple more bits of info on the 3rd Annual Sturgis Mustang Rally.

Show & Shine Mustangs registered - 430

Total Mustangs in attendance - 738

Not too shabby for only the 3rd year. :banvictory:

And, to brag a little myself - we managed to finish 2nd at the Show & Shine in our class - 2007-2010 Shelby GT500 Coupes & Convertibles, which numbered around 34. There were 41 cars total in the Shelby class. We were both shocked and very pleased with the finish, as our car is still fairly stock, and there were quite a few really nicely appointed GT500's showing.

Hope we have a much bigger Shelby showing next year at the 4th Annual event - it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of Mustang events to participate in, including a few really fun runs up into the Black Hills. :shift:

Yea Ed you're the reason I don't even bother to try and enter the car shows because I wouldn't stand a chance! :hysterical: Your car looked amazing and I'm always impressed with how some of you guys can get them to just shine like the sun :shades: Can't wait to see it with the new wheels. Make sure to post some pics! :camera:

Well Gary, I can show you how to get your car shining like that too. :yup: I can even get you set up with some real good shining products. :rockon:

You may want to give it a try, cause it's fun to get your car looking awesome. :drool: Funny thing is, I didn't think it was looking as good as it should have. This was my first ever Show & Shine, but I've definitely got the show bug now, and figure there's certainly room for improvement. Only time will tell... :lurk:

What was your 1/8 ET?

8.06 with a 1.7x 60' and I spun 2nd gear pretty bad. I know a sub 8 was there if I had another run. I found out later that this track was built for motorcyles and the concrete ends at 70'. So when you grab 2nd you can still blow them off if you're not careful. Trap was 96 mph.

Archived