TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Underside Rust is very bad..Worse than my 2009

War Eagle

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this email from a guy in Ft. lauderdale:

................................................................................

"Quote

I understand your pain. My friend has a 06 GT with only 12k miles... Car is always under a cover, always detailed, always pampered.

The car is suffering from the body corosion that all new style mustangs 05-10 are suffering from. The metal under the paint is forming a white powdery residue from corrosion. The underside of the hood looks like an 89 as the paint is all bubbled up and crunchy from the corrosion. Ford said they will not repair the damage until it perforates the metal completely, so his babied car is going to eventually corrode to all hell. There is a TSB about the issue, but no real easy solution, as Ford does not want to replace panels or respray cars...

Sorry to hear your expensive stang is suffering from Ford's Job 1 crappy ass quality. "

................................................................................

Steve

Here is the TSB. They are having widespread problems under the hood of 2005-2008 vehicles. I have seen posts on various forums about the same problem in 2008 Mustangs.

TSB 06-25-15 - ALUMINUM BODY PANELS - CORROSION - SERVICE TIP

Publication Date: December 11, 2006

FORD:

2000-2007 Crown Victoria, Taurus

2005-2006 Ford GT

2005-2007 Mustang

2000-2003 Ranger

2000-2007 Expedition

2002-2007 Explorer

2004-2007 F-150

2007 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:

2000-2006 Lincoln LS

2000-2007 Town Car, Navigator

MERCURY:

2000-2007 Grand Marquis, Sable

This article supersedes TSB 04-25-1 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit a bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel.

ACTION:

This TSB provides service tips and procedures, outlining methods to properly prepare and protect aluminum body parts from cross contamination.

BACKGROUND

Ford's Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.

SERVICE TIPS AND PROCEDURE

When repairing a vehicle for corrosion or collision damage, it is essential that extreme care be taken to cover and protect all aluminum parts to prevent cross metal contamination. Areas in a shop where metal work is performed should be sectioned off, using at the very least curtain walls, to prevent metal dust migration. Cross contamination can also occur through the use of metal working tools (hammers, dolly's, picks, grinding wheels, etc.). Tools used for aluminum repairs should be kept separate, and not used to repair other metals. Wire brushes used on aluminum should be made of stainless steel.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON NON-PERFORATED METAL. REVIEW WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL FOR VEHICLE WITH PERFORATED METAL.

NOTE: READ THIS PROCEDURE COMPLETELY BEFORE PERFORMING ANY SERVICE.

1. Corrosion should be removed by blasting. Use an aggressive blasting material, such as acrylic (salt grain size).

2. Use a DA sander with 180 grit paper backed abrasive. Only sand and featheredge the damaged area.

3. Mix and apply Ford approved epoxy primer, per the manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C), or use an infra-red lamp for curing.

4. If necessary, mix and apply two-part polyester filler to a slight over crown. Allow polyester filler to cure 20-30 minutes, or mix and apply spray polyester filler two-three (2-3) coats as necessary. Allow to cure per manufacturer's label instructions.

5. Hand-sand the repair area with 80 grit sand paper to remove excess filler.

6. Finish-sand the repair area with 400 grit sand paper.

7. Mix and apply Ford approved primer/surfacer per manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C) or use infra-red lamp for curing.

8. Sand the primer/surfacer with 400-600 grit to level the surface.

9. The next two steps are wet-on-wet. Mix and apply to hiding Ford recommended basecoat material per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow to flash.

10. Mix and apply two (2) coats (2 mils minimum) of Ford approved clearcoat per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow flash time. Finish bake at 140° F (60° C).

WARRANTY STATUS:

Guys,

I have pretty much put the ball in Ford's court so no further posts are necessary. I will PM /email each of you that contacted me after my visit with my Dealer tomorrow and when I hear back from Mulallys' office.

I love Ford, I love my car and don't want to hurt them just get them to take care of this rust problem. They are a very good Company that overall builds a quality vehicle.

let's see what they do now.

Steve

Spend the time and a few hours and prep and paint it.

Simple job.

grabber, you are absolutely clueless about these cars if you think painting the bare metal parts are ok. Yes they can be painted but years from now it will totally have an effect on value of the car. Just look at the 60's shelbys and see what happens if all the natural parts are painted like you suggest. Just because you do it does not mean it is proper. You have turned your car into something thats no longer desirable.

If they came better prepared from factory there would be no need to mess with them. For a person buying a 50k plus car you would think the factory would give some protection

Received this email from an executive at Ford Corporate at 5:20 CST this afternoon. I sent a full pack of pictures of my car, and others, pictures of the Camaro and a full set of the underside of my Lincoln MKX which is absolutely beautiful, and has no rust after 2 1/2 years:

"Quote

Steve, I have shipped your pics of the rust issue to our Mustang managers and our Parts & Service people. I am sure we will hear something back pretty quick. Thanks."

Ford has always been my favorite car Company and I dearly love my car. I sure hope we can work out an amicable solution to this rust problem without causing Ford a whole lot of grief and stressing all of us out. I feel like I am having a disagreement with a best friend or family member. I just wish Ford had done something about this a while back.

I don't know what they will decide to do but I have done everything I can to make them aware of the problem and how disappointed we are with it.

Lets hope for the best,

Steve

War Eagle, those pics are terrible and agree it is unacceptable. Let us know how it goes with Ford pushing this as a warranty item. I will definitely check my shelby when it arrives this month as I would not tolerate it either.

I had a 1997 Explorer that I basically beat to death off road and never had any underside component rust.

What email address did you use? I think we should email regarding the front bumper too. I want Ford to correctly paint a new front bumper cover and ship it to my dealer.

Chris,

I have a personal contact at Ford that I do not feel comfortable publishing his email address or passing it on. I hope you understand.

I think the rust issue affects all of our cars and deserved a major effort to get their attention. I purposely did not ask for help with the bumper paint problem as I believe it to be an isolated production error not affecting a large number of vehicles. Unfortunately you and I were affected but I am going to work thru my Dealer on that issue. I hope you understand my feelings on this,

Best Regards,

Steve

I forgot to tell you guys that the Ford Executive thanked me for the pictures of my car and of the Camaro. His words were that they needed to see those pictures of the competition. It was a real wake up call for me as I am sure it was for them.

I hope all of this works out and they fix the problem on the Shelby, the car is so exceptional and really deserves better than this, much better.

keep your fingers crossed,

Steve

The paint issue is BS too War Eagle. This shit should NEVER have left the line. There is no way Ford inspects these cars before shipping, impossible given the issues I have had.

I really wish I had a contact. I want Ford to replace my car and I feel a big fight is ahead. My dealer has offered to refund my money but that is not the resolution I want. I want a professionally manufactured car.

The paint issue is BS too War Eagle. This shit should NEVER have left the line. There is no way Ford inspects these cars before shipping, impossible given the issues I have had.

I really wish I had a contact. I want Ford to replace my car and I feel a big fight is ahead. My dealer has offered to refund my money but that is not the resolution I want. I want a professionally manufactured car.

I know, you got a really bad car. Have you filed a formal complaint with Ford?

Steve

I know, you got a really bad car. Have you filed a formal complaint with Ford?

Steve

Will tomorrow. What would you guys do? Let the dealer fix everything? My dealer said he has no allocations so cannot order me a like unit. He also offered to unwind the entire deal. I don't know what to do. I really want him to replace the car but he doesnt seem to be able to. All he can do other than refund is give me a white with grabber stripes one, with all the same issues!

grabber, you are absolutely clueless about these cars if you think painting the bare metal parts are ok. Yes they can be painted but years from now it will totally have an effect on value of the car. Just look at the 60's shelbys and see what happens if all the natural parts are painted like you suggest. Just because you do it does not mean it is proper. You have turned your car into something thats no longer desirable.

If they came better prepared from factory there would be no need to mess with them. For a person buying a 50k plus car you would think the factory would give some protection

clueless. :hysterical:

WHATEVER DUDE

I did not buy this car to see what the value is in 40 years. I bought it to enjoy.

....And I could care less if you don't think my car is desirable.

Have a bag on me. :lurk:

clueless. :hysterical:

WHATEVER DUDE

I did not buy this car to see what the value is in 40 years. I bought it to enjoy.

....And I could care less if you don't think my car is desirable.

Have a bag on me. :lurk:

I have to echo grabber on this. I think we're all being a bit naive if we think these latest GT500s will be collectors at any point. In the end, they are Ford built Shelbys and not Shelby built Shelbys. I'm not saying that Shelby would be building a better or greater car (maybe, maybe not), but it came off the Ford production line where to my knowledge the older 60's Shelbys came from Shelby, not Ford's production line.

That I think will be the long term hick-up in collector status. Also, how many times do we see 60's Shelbys go across the auction block looking better than they did back in the 60s. I won't put up a ? at the end because it's a rhetorical question. A lot is the answer. The only thing Grabber ensured is that his car looks better now and won't be classified as 100% survivor should he do nothing with it and keep it for 40 years. However, it still will be an all original Ford built Shelby should he not replace a lot on it.

Guys, what Grabber did to his car looks amazing. The trophies he has won are a testament to that. The man is ENJOYING his car, take the lesson... And he takes care of it like noone else I've seen. (Dude, I wish I had that kind of time, lol)

Truth be told, yeah, I dont like what it looks like, but Iron parts RUST, ASAP. Spray down your brake rotors and see what happens to them in a hour or so. SURFACE RUST, almost immediately. (Yeah, I know if you upgraded your rotors you may or may not have this).

So, I will spend a few hours over the winter to prep all the rusted parts and give them a couple coats of clearcoat. Maybe I'll paint black, maybe not.

And if you're waiting for your cars to go up in value so far that absolute originality is worth huge dollars, then you bought the wrong car.

JUST MY .02

Received this email from an executive at Ford Corporate at 5:20 CST this afternoon. I sent a full pack of pictures of my car, and others, pictures of the Camaro and a full set of the underside of my Lincoln MKX which is absolutely beautiful, and has no rust after 2 1/2 years:

"Quote

Steve, I have shipped your pics of the rust issue to our Mustang managers and our Parts & Service people. I am sure we will hear something back pretty quick. Thanks."

Ford has always been my favorite car Company and I dearly love my car. I sure hope we can work out an amicable solution to this rust problem without causing Ford a whole lot of grief and stressing all of us out. I feel like I am having a disagreement with a best friend or family member. I just wish Ford had done something about this a while back.

I don't know what they will decide to do but I have done everything I can to make them aware of the problem and how disappointed we are with it.

Lets hope for the best,

Steve

I hope this leads to some good news for all of us.

Will tomorrow. What would you guys do? Let the dealer fix everything? My dealer said he has no allocations so cannot order me a like unit. He also offered to unwind the entire deal. I don't know what to do. I really want him to replace the car but he doesnt seem to be able to. All he can do other than refund is give me a white with grabber stripes one, with all the same issues!

Chris,

I can only imagine how stressful this is for you. I would take the buyout, take some time off away from the car issue relax and have some fun.

Then come back and either make the decision to buy a 2011 or buy another 2010 off a lot that you can inspect before delivery.

Steve

Well theres no downside in having him fix the issues are there--Id do that first and see what it looks like.I think what hes doing is saying,well I dont have anymore cars coming,Ill fix this one and put an ADM on it and see if he can sell it fixed up.He must believe it can be fixed--and Ford will pay for the fixing,so he has no downside either.The cars themsilvee are fantsastic,itd be a shame to at least have him repair the car to your satisfaction.

If there were another exact car you could get,differnt story--but youd have to go see it first

Guys,

I am done with all of this and don't even care anymore what Ford does about this rust problem. I will however let you know if I ever hear back from them, it just does not matter to me any more.

Steve

Wow, that was quick.

No offense but you seem to be on an emotional roller coaster about this stuff. Here I was looking forward to working with other owners to address something and you're already giving up.

Admins,

It is very important that you delete this thread for me ASAP please. I just heard from Ford five minutes ago and they are working on this problem.

Lets give them the time and opportunity to get it fixed.

Thanks Steve

Why does the thread need to be deleted? Are they working on an fix just for you or for all owners? Sorry but this is all kind of strange and sudden. The mods can close it but I'll open it up on a couple of other Mustang sites with higher traffic.

Why does the thread need to be deleted? Are they working on an fix just for you or for all owners? Sorry but this is all kind of strange and sudden. The mods can close it but I'll open it up on a couple of other Mustang sites with higher traffic.

Please PM me and I will share the information with current owners, I did not want to make it public. It would be picked up by other sources and I don't want to get ahead of Ford on their announcement.

Steve

Archived