TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Underside Rust is very bad..Worse than my 2009

War Eagle

Guys,

These are the photos I took of my car right after we got it home on the trailer. The car had 34 miles on it when I took these pictures.

The rust is much more prevalant than on my 2009 and Ford really should be ashamed for letting a $50,000 car go out the door in this condition.

The least they could do is offer to paint these parts as an option, I would have paid $500 to have my car delivered in better shape.

Steve

post-25298-1252260281_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260288_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260296_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260304_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260281_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260288_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260296_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252260304_thumb.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys,

These are the photos I took of my car right after we got it home on the trailer. The car had 34 miles on it when I took these pictures.

The rust is much more prevalant than on my 2009 and Ford really should be ashamed for letting a $50,000 car go out the door in this condition.

The least they could do is offer to paint these parts as an option, I would have paid $500 to have my car delivered in better shape.

Steve

Crazy. I really want to get my rear end painted to fix all that rust. I think a few people have done it already.

Paint it soon before it gets worse. I sprayed mine with clear 2 months ago and is till looks good.Rust is a living organism and will keep getting thicker as time goes on.Still sucks that all Ford rears do this,but especially bad for their high end sports car.

Paint it soon before it gets worse. I sprayed mine with clear 2 months ago and is till looks good.Rust is a living organism and will keep getting thicker as time goes on.Still sucks that all Ford rears do this,but especially bad for their high end sports car.

I have been really busy and have not had the time to fool with it. I may just wait till after Christmas and start a "frame off" restoration on the car, it will probably need it by then. :D

Steve

You know guy's, Ford has had a free ride on this now since 2007 and I am not in the mood to let it slide any longer. They have had plenty of time and opportunity to deal with this issue. This is not only a cosmetic issue but the rust will eventually compromise the structural integrity of some of these components.

I going down to my local Dealer next week and raise it as a formal complaint issue and go from there with it. Chances of getting anything done about it are slim but at least Ford will feel some heat about it and know how really disappointed I am about it.

These cars should be adequately protected from the environment to serve their customers well and I can tell you that if this is left untreated on cars here in Florida they will all be in bad shape in only a few years. I don't care what they do on a $19,000 V-6 Mustang but if they are going to ask $50,000 for a car they need to be held to a higher standard.

There is simply no excuse for this in this day and age and with the emphasis that Ford is putting on Quality. I can understand that random production problems do happen but this is a different issue and one that they need to fix.

Plumb Rusted Out

Steve

This is my 2006 Ford F-150, always parked outside. I bought it new 3 1/2 years ago and it has no rust underneath it. I drove it off the lot and have never had to take it in for any warranty problems at all. It has been a perfect truck. I paid $17,600 for it brand new.

I wish the quality on my GT500 was as good as this truck.

Steve

post-25298-1252270121_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252270129_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252270121_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252270129_thumb.jpg

Class action lawsuit. I'm in :work::)

I hope it will never come to that. I love Ford, they are my favorite Car Company and it is all that I own and drive. Besides the Shelby we also own the 2007 Lincoln MKX and my F-150.

I am going to ask Ford to repair the car under warranty and see what happens. I am going to use my F-150 and MKX as examples, neither has a rust problem and I assumed that my 2010 car would be as good a quality as my older cars I bought from them. Many of the components that are rusting on my GT500 are protected/painted in my other vehicles. Ford simply failed to provide corrosion and rust protection on the 2010 model that they had previously been doing on the older cheaper cars.

I will kick the warranty request up thru channels and see what happens. If they do not fix it I will then pursue other avenues. After I looked under my other cars I just decided that it was not acceptable.

I would like to see Ford do a recall on all of the 2010s and will request that also.

Steve

Here is my 2007 Lincoln MKX. the car is 2 1/2 years old, has been a perfect car with no warranty issues. It has 18,000 miles on it. One heck of a fine automobile.

I paid around $40,000 for this car and the quality is superb and much better than the GT500. The bottom of the car could go thru the Barrett Jackson "Belly Cam" .

This is what a $50,000 car should look like underneath after two or three years.

Steve

post-25298-1252272441_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252272451_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252272460_thumb.jpg

Steve i did contact Mulallys offie about this back in July.One of his staffers called me and we discussed for 10 minutes,and she understood.She said she would get the info to Engineering,but i never got anymore feedback.My friend who reported to mulally told me it wasnt a matter of costs,since the factories he aws responsible for paid the same for a treated rear end as un-treated.Its just getting the engineers to spec in the treated rear.I gave him the pics of a ruste rear and he sent them to Mulally The way to get Fords attention is our member some kind of formal complaint.Perhaps if one of our members is an attorney we could send a draft of a formal complaint to Mulally,signed by our members to get their attention

Gents,

I'm learning a lot from this site as I wait for my kona blue beast to arrive from the factory. I've seen many worrying about the rust on the rear end. Although I would love to have my diff. either painted or powder coated from the factory, I believe this rust might be an intentional thing coming from the factory on some rear ends. Below is a paragraph from an article on rust as a protective layer on steel surfaces. Although it's an eye sore, I don't think that the rust will cause the eventual fatigue or failure that some think it will.

A protective and adherent rust layer develops on weathering steels during outdoor exposure. This layer acts as a barrier which slows further corrosion, thus enabling weathering steel to be used in structural applications without painting. To aid in understanding the mechanism of protective rust formation, studies have been made on the composition and microstructure of these layers. The present study was jointly conducted on Japanese weathering steel exposed in the industrial environment of Amagasaki, and US weathering steel exposed in the industrial environment of Bethlehem. The rust layers were studied by use of optical microscopy, electron microscopy with X-ray fluorescence, X-ray diffraction, and micro-Raman spectroscopy. The results of this collaboration show that, in general, the rust layers formed during long-term exposure are composed of one or more alternating layers of goethite and lepidocrocite, with scattered patches of maghemite and/or magnetite.

Steve i did contact Mulallys offie about this back in July.One of his staffers called me and we discussed for 10 minutes,and she understood.She said she would get the info to Engineering,but i never got anymore feedback.My friend who reported to mulally told me it wasnt a matter of costs,since the factories he aws responsible for paid the same for a treated rear end as un-treated.Its just getting the engineers to spec in the treated rear.I gave him the pics of a ruste rear and he sent them to Mulally The way to get Fords attention is our member some kind of formal complaint.Perhaps if one of our members is an attorney we could send a draft of a formal complaint to Mulally,signed by our members to get their attention

I am going to start the process Monday. All you have to do is look at those pictures I posted of my MKX to know that what we have on the Shelby is just not acceptable. If it takes legal action so be it but I am not going to back off on this issue, not one inch.

The car is just too fine a vehicle to have this issue as it's legacy.

Steve

Gents,

I'm learning a lot from this site as I wait for my kona blue beast to arrive from the factory. I've seen many worrying about the rust on the rear end. Although I would love to have my diff. either painted or powder coated from the factory, I believe this rust might be an intentional thing coming from the factory on some rear ends. Below is a paragraph from an article on rust as a protective layer on steel surfaces. Although it's an eye sore, I don't think that the rust will cause the eventual fatigue or failure that some think it will.

A protective and adherent rust layer develops on weathering steels during outdoor exposure. This layer acts as a barrier which slows further corrosion, thus enabling weathering steel to be used in structural applications without painting. To aid in understanding the mechanism of protective rust formation, studies have been made on the composition and microstructure of these layers. The present study was jointly conducted on Japanese weathering steel exposed in the industrial environment of Amagasaki, and US weathering steel exposed in the industrial environment of Bethlehem. The rust layers were studied by use of optical microscopy, electron microscopy with X-ray fluorescence, X-ray diffraction, and micro-Raman spectroscopy. The results of this collaboration show that, in general, the rust layers formed during long-term exposure are composed of one or more alternating layers of goethite and lepidocrocite, with scattered patches of maghemite and/or magnetite.

There are a lot of parts beside the differential that are severly rusted. If you look at the pictures I posted you can see numerous brackets and other structural steel pieces that were painted on my F-150 and MKX but were left bare and unprotected on my GT500. Can you imagine what these mustangs down here in Florida are going to look like in a couple of years.

I believe they just don't care, the mustang has always been a very cheap low quality car and the GT500 is being built on the same line and is getting the same quality as a $19,000 car. If it were being built on the Lincoln Line it would not look like this.

I would also say that I bet the new Tarus does not look like this underneath, I will get pictures tomorrow to prove it.

Steve

Gents,

So the rust is really a protective feature on our cars :doh:

I agree that it is mostly a cosmetic issue and won't cause structural issues as long as we own the car. Still it is unacceptable for any new car to look this way right from the factory.

I really did not get too upset untill I looked under my MKX. It is rust free and absolutely beautiful. It even has stainless clamps, the same quality I use on my aircraft.

I say again it is our misfortune that the GT500 is being painted and built in the same factory and on the same line as the most basic V-6 Mustang and it shows.

Steve

I really did not get too upset untill I looked under my MKX. It is rust free and absoluetly beautiful. It even has stainless clamps, the same quality I use on my aircraft.

I say again it is our misfortune that the GT500 is being painted and built in the same factory and on the same line as the most basic V-6 Mustang and it shows.

Steve

Honestly in this day in age it's not acceptable on a base V6. Let me know what I can do to assist with this complaint. My rear is a mess as well.

Steve another thought --perhaps a Youtube posting would ge their attention.Maybe comparing the Camaro rear with a Shelby in pictures, use an atarctive person to point out the differnces even though the Shelby is faster,and costs alot more than the Camaro, its got a rusty A**--and who like a rusty rear then show an old guys wrinkly A**,, or a chimps rear end.Then end by saying which car would you buy?? That''ll get Fords attention quick,especially if you give the link to your local dealer.bob

Steve another thought --perhaps a Youtube posting would ge their attention.Maybe comparing the Camaro rear with a Shelby in pictures, use an atarctive person to point out the differnces even though the Shelby is faster,and costs alot more than the Camaro, its got a rusty A**--and who like a rusty rear then show an old guys wrinkly A**,, or a chimps rear end.Then end by saying which car would you buy?? That''ll get Fords attention quick,especially if you give the link to your local dealer.bob

A Youtube video is an excellent idea but I would like to see it done in a professional manner and starting out with nice views of the car then moving to the underside and talking about the "Ugly Trurth" lurking beneath that beautiful exterior.

Comments like" Now this would look great on the Barrett Jackson Underneath cam. You could even do a short spoof of a pretend auction with the car rolling up then over the video camera like they do on TV followed by gasps and oh my God!!!

I think a lot of people that are looking at Mustangs have no idea how bad they look underneath and how really bad the rust issue is.

I am sure others have even better ideas but I think it should be done in good taste and show the Good, the Bad and the Ugly about the car.

I wonder who we could get to film something like this for us.

Steve

It will be Tuesday before the Service Dept is open here at the local Dealership but I will take it in that morning and be very up front and explain to the Service Manager that I want the complaint formery processed and kicked all the way up. The Sales manager is a good friend and I will also let him know what I am doing.

Steve

Funny you bring up Barrett Jackson. Here is a photo of the underside of a Shelby GT that I took at the Barrett Jackson show a few years ago where Ford had a huge display of their vehicles stacked up where you can clearly see the underside. I wasn't too impressed.

SHLBY_GT_AXLE.jpg

Funny you bring up Barrett Jackson. Here is a photo of the underside of a Shelby GT that I took at the Barrett Jackson show a few years ago where Ford had a huge display of their vehicles stacked up where you can clearly see the underside. I wasn't too impressed.

SHLBY_GT_AXLE.jpg

Holy Crap!! Now that really makes you want to open your wallet up!!

Steve

Spend the time and a few hours and prep and paint it.

Simple job.

Roger that Grabber, I don't think it would take the Dealerships long to do it and they would create a lot of goodwill among their customers. What do you think their investment would be in material and labor cost in total?

I would be happy with it if they brushed on a good quality paint like Rust Oleum after killing the rust.

Steve

Roger that Grabber, I don't think it would take the Dealerships long to do it and they would create a lot of goodwill among their customers. What do you think their investment would be in material and labor cost in total?

Steve

The dealer will not take the time to cover the outside of the car with plastic and mask off the underside correctly and remove the tires.

The cost for materials is about $10 bucks. The rest is a labor of love. The dealer will not give your car the passion that you have for it.

Archived