TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cleaning the GT500...

daemonj

Has anybody found a quick/effective way to detail the front grill? Those little diamonds are a major pain in the @ss! I find that if I don't clean them really well, I get a dried residue at the bottom of each diamond.

I just finished waxing the entire car and I'm dreading going back out there to finish the grill! HELP! :banghead:

Thx,

Jason

Has anybody found a quick/effective way to detail the front grill? Those little diamonds are a major pain in the @ss! I find that if I don't clean them really well, I get a dried residue at the bottom of each diamond.

I just finished waxing the entire car and I'm dreading going back out there to finish the grill! HELP! :banghead:

Thx,

Jason

Does Cervini's make a grill for the GT500? :idea:

Thx,

Jason

It's the left over water that is the problem creating water spots in the grill recesses..... here's what I do...

When you've finished washing your beast (and chamoising the rest of the car) , take a 2 stroke leaf/lawn blower to the front grill areas to blow out all the water and then simply chamois the front end afterward.....

It works great at keeping the water spots off the front of the car and the grill etc... and all the water is displaced from those pesky little hiding places.

As far as detailing the grill, the quickest way is to simply spray it with Armour All or some kind of black plastic/rubber enhancer and then wipe the excess off with a micro fiber rag (otherwise you'll need about 1000 Q-Tips and 10 hours time to get it right).

Think I found a working technique... I soaked a microfiber rag in Mothers back to black and wrapped it around my index finger and start poking... Leave it along pervs! :rolleyes: It takes a while but the grill looks nice and clean now. I like the idea of the leaf blower, but to be honest, I would prolly kick up more dust than I want to after having just cleaned the monster!

Anyone have any preferred stuff for the black molding? Mothers works ok, and I've also tried a liquid wax called optimum (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/index2.html). It sprays on, has UV blocking properties, leaves no white powder residue and doesn't discolor the molding. It's supposed to last 5-6mo but I'll never find out as I wax the Shelby way more than that! A pro detailer here in SA swears by the stuff. Currently I'm using mothers on the grill, rocker panels, and diffuser, and Optimum on the hood vents, mirrors, and all the other black molding.

Tip: If you get any paste wax on the black molding, rubbing alcohol will remove it quickly. I also hear that peanut butter/oil will work but I haven't tried that one.

Thx

Jason

Think I found a working technique... I soaked a microfiber rag in Mothers back to black and wrapped it around my index finger and start poking... Leave it along pervs! :rolleyes: It takes a while but the grill looks nice and clean now. I like the idea of the leaf blower, but to be honest, I would prolly kick up more dust than I want to after having just cleaned the monster!

Anyone have any preferred stuff for the black molding? Mothers works ok, and I've also tried a liquid wax called optimum (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/index2.html). It sprays on, has UV blocking properties, leaves no white powder residue and doesn't discolor the molding. It's supposed to last 5-6mo but I'll never find out as I wax the Shelby way more than that! A pro detailer here in SA swears by the stuff. Currently I'm using mothers on the grill, rocker panels, and diffuser, and Optimum on the hood vents, mirrors, and all the other black molding.

Tip: If you get any paste wax on the black molding, rubbing alcohol will remove it quickly. I also hear that peanut butter/oil will work but I haven't tried that one.

Thx

Jason

believe it or not i found that liquid tide detergent diluted of course works best for removing white wax residue.

Thx

Jason

The front air splitter is made out of Polypropylene. Unless they used a lot of UV inhibitor in the making of the Plastic, the color will slowly fade to gray over time & get more brittle. Rubbing alcohol if left on a few seconds too long will eat into the plastic. I don't recommend this! use what ever you want as long as it says it's safe for all plastics & rubbers.

The front air splitter is made out of Polypropylene. Unless they used a lot of UV inhibitor in the making of the Plastic, the color will slowly fade to gray over time & get more brittle. Rubbing alcohol if left on a few seconds too long will eat into the plastic. I don't recommend this! use what ever you want as long as it says it's safe for all plastics & rubbers.

I wash mine with the pressure washer and immediately drive it for 3 minutes at 150 mph. It peels all of the spots off. :hyper:

Thx,

Jason

yep, the most effective way I have found, is to have a professional (someone else) do the detailing.

Archived