TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spoke with SVT regarding the 1-2 shift issue

scottGT500

Hey, I spoke with SVT regarding any 1-2 grinding/clunking issues. They have not (to date) heard of any issues regarding ANY shifting issues with the 2010 GT500. He did recommend that I take it to the dealership and start an inquiry there. Has anyone done this? If so, what did they say?! When I have time, I will certainly take it to my local dealership...but from what SVT said, there is NO bulliten or notes about this whatsoever. This is strange because many of us are having this issue. I take it that ALL of us with this issue need to get to our respective dealerships to get Ford/SVT to notice that we REALLY have an issue with the tranny!

Scott

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott, I have not had that problem with my car. the shifts are smooth and quite.

Steve

That's great! I will try to get to my local dealership next week! I had a rather nasty 1-2 shift yesterday at about 6k. I posted this in the other thread (1-2 shift). I didn't want to start a duplicate thread...just wanted to see if anyone has had any communication with Ford about this apparent issue with some of us.

Hey, I spoke with SVT regarding any 1-2 grinding/clunking issues. They have not (to date) heard of any issues regarding ANY shifting issues with the 2010 GT500. He did recommend that I take it to the dealership and start an inquiry there. Has anyone done this? If so, what did they say?! When I have time, I will certainly take it to my local dealership...but from what SVT said, there is NO bulliten or notes about this whatsoever. This is strange because many of us are having this issue. I take it that ALL of us with this issue need to get to our respective dealerships to get Ford/SVT to notice that we REALLY have an issue with the tranny!

Scott

Motor Trend had a blub about the shifter in their 10 best drivers car comparison. It's at the end of the page. Check out link, overall a good showing for the GT500 and nice u-tube video!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/perform...elby_gt500.html

Motor Trend had a blub about the shifter in their 10 best drivers car comparison. It's at the end of the page. Check out link, overall a good showing for the GT500 and nice u-tube video!

[url=http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0910_2009_best_drivers_car/2010_ford_shelby_gt500.html]http://www.

Great article! Yep, they menioned the shifter and those super slick Goodyears! I bet the performance numbers would have been much better with a better/stickier set of tires. Absolutely no traction in 1st and most of 2nd!...

Anyone heard or learned anything from their local dealer about the 2nd gear grind?

Hey, I spoke with SVT regarding any 1-2 grinding/clunking issues. They have not (to date) heard of any issues regarding ANY shifting issues with the 2010 GT500.

Scott

No complaints for the 2010. They only have complaints for the 2007, 2008, 2009 :redcard:

Just a thought here, but would it make sense to put together a spreadsheet that lists each persons build date and whether or not they have a grind/clunk issue? Maybe there was a bad run of 6060's and we can narrow it down to a date range. A few years back my 997 Turbo had a brake issue and fellow Turbo board members posted similar complaints on one of the Porsche boards. Shortly after we found that there was a VIN range that had the issue and Porsche put out a bulletin.

We haven't seen a Burning Blue spreadsheet lately. Maybe he's up for it? :)

Just a thought here, but would it make sense to put together a spreadsheet that lists each persons build date and whether or not they have a grind/clunk issue? Maybe there was a bad run of 6060's and we can narrow it down to a date range. A few years back my 997 Turbo had a brake issue and fellow Turbo board members posted similar complaints on one of the Porsche boards. Shortly after we found that there was a VIN range that had the issue and Porsche put out a bulletin.

We haven't seen a Burning Blue spreadsheet lately. Maybe he's up for it? :)

Great idea!

I really question those that say they are having no issue

If one of you could... please post a you tube video... even if it's just a camera sitting on the pass seat getting audio.

I want to hear how you shift it.

You basically only see the issue if you shift VERY QUICKLY. like if I was powershifting but I am using the clutch.

PLEASE let me see this and not grind..

One of 2 things will happen. you will shift so slow the rpms come down or 2, it will grind.

If one of you could... please post a you tube video... even if it's just a camera sitting on the pass seat getting audio.

You basically only see the issue if you shift VERY QUICKLY. like if I was powershifting but I am using the clutch.

One of 2 things will happen. you will shift so slow the rpms come down or 2, it will grind.

The "grinding" only happens as Wilson said...on quick power shifts into 2nd. All in all the shifting is ok, just a little clunking into 2nd just driving around. I am hoping to get my car to the dealership Tuesday to open up a service issue with them...

Quick question: as mentioned above...so the 07-09 GT500's had issues with the shifting also? If so what exactly was the issue? I would like to know because if it is similar...it could help with my case with my dealer...

I've had a problem with our 2010 and it grinding at the track. It does it quite bad at times actually. On the street, normal driving is smooth as butter, at the track is another story. I went out this past wednesday and not only was it grinding, but it wasnt going into gear at all. Even after it not going into gear, i kept my foot on the clutch and tried to push it into 3rd and it still wouldnt go into gear. This is on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift.

When i was younger and raced at the track,power shiftng meant no clutch,as opposed to speed shifting,which lightly used the clutch.So are you saying youre shifting with no clutch.I just did a 1/2 shift at 5800rpm and it was fine,but used the clutch

I've had a problem with our 2010 and it grinding at the track. It does it quite bad at times actually. On the street, normal driving is smooth as butter, at the track is another story. I went out this past wednesday and not only was it grinding, but it wasnt going into gear at all. Even after it not going into gear, i kept my foot on the clutch and tried to push it into 3rd and it still wouldnt go into gear. This is on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift.

This sounds like the same problem that I had a couple days ago. I shifted really hard at @6150 rpm...I had to hold the shifter down for about 2 seconds(a lifetime for a power shift)...it finally went into gear though.

Lethal/EVO (or whoever): You are obviously very versed (more than me) in the GT500. What do YOU think that the problem could be? I kinda need to know what terminolgy to use when I get up to the dealership.....Thanks!!!!!

When i was younger and raced at the track,power shiftng meant no clutch,as opposed to speed shifting,which lightly used the clutch.So are you saying youre shifting with no clutch.I just did a 1/2 shift at 5800rpm and it was fine,but used the clutch

Shift next to the limiter as fast as you can using the clutch, if you shift fast enough, it will grind.

This sounds like the same problem that I had a couple days ago. I shifted really hard at @6150 rpm...I had to hold the shifter down for about 2 seconds(a lifetime for a power shift)...it finally went into gear though.

Lethal/EVO (or whoever): You are obviously very versed (more than me) in the GT500. What do YOU think that the problem could be? I kinda need to know what terminolgy to use when I get up to the dealership.....Thanks!!!!!

I am no transmission expert, but I think the issue may have something to do with the factory hydraulics. I can't go any further than that I don't think there is enough travel in the stock slave cylinder and its not fully releasing the clutch. The issue isn't with just the 2010's, I had the same issue in the 08 as well but never got to try the McLeod slave cylinder in that car to see if it would remedy the issue. It does seem to be more prevalent in our 2010 though.

I had this same issue last night. Took a friend for a ride and twice at high rpm near redline the shifts went in to second but there was a distinctive grind with each shift. No problems with normal driving or high rpm gear changes with more relaxed shifting into second, but I have noticed a few times while shifting that it feels like there is a slight resistance in the tranny when changing gears first thing when engine\tranny oils are still cold. I think it was eluded to in another post that the pressure plate may not be releasing quick enough causing drag on the clutch. Hope it's not a major problem lets face it the car rocks and is too much fun! :shift:

Okay, powershifting in my book is keeping your foot to the floor while shifting gears as fast as you can. I don't shift like that, I'll take it up to red line and shift quick while taking my foot off the accelerator. I used to powershift my big bore sport bikes but not my cars. One missed shift and all hell breaks lose. Are the guys who are getting a grinding noise power shift or just grabbing a quick second gear shift?

Okay, powershifting in my book is keeping your foot to the floor while shifting gears as fast as you can. I don't shift like that, I'll take it up to red line and shift quick while taking my foot off the accelerator. I used to powershift my big bore sport bikes but not my cars. One missed shift and all hell breaks lose. Are the guys who are getting a grinding noise power shift or just grabbing a quick second gear shift?

Quick second gear shift for me.

technical service bulletin, basically my tranny was rebuilt with updated parts

Now you have to do me a favor and post some pix of your car!

never seen a new black/black stripe delete with HIDs

You have my combo, I'd love to see how it looks!

Here you go...Thanks man!

shelby6.bmp

Shelby4.bmp

Shelby3.bmp

• 5 months later...

Scott

No issues here!

My 09 grinds almost EVERY SINGLE TIME when I try to speed shift or power shift from 1st-2nd. It has happened at the track and on the street. I almost have to hesitate when I shift fast like that, but the 2-3 shift is perfect. Its annoying, and it sounds like I missed the gear, but is still goes in for some reason.

Oh and speed shifting means just shifting very fast but basicly the same way you would shift normally. Power shifting it where you stand on the gas and dont let off and just punch the clutch with your other foot. You never let off the gas. But both techniques require the use of the clutch.

Archived