TEAM SHELBY FORUM

pulled by a Neon...WTF??

Joe Frito

Going onto an freeway onramp (no traffic around) following an SRT-4 ACR Neon. Wouldn't think he would want to play, but I was ready just in case. I get on it as soon as I see he does and I can't reel him in? I know these can be heavily modded, but it's pretty bad that I couldn't outright take a 4cyl Neon! I guess I need to start the mods.

When my son was 16. A good friend had an old 85 chrysler Lebanon. 2.2 L turbo and it was in great shape. We ask him if he wanted to sell it. He said you can have it, an old man gave it to me. It hadn't been driven in years. UGLY gold with a tore up convertible top. Only had 60K on on the clock. We pulled the gas tank. Installed a new pump and filter. It started right up and ran like new. He sent the PCM out to be tuned. Then we put an adjustable waste gate on. Install 3 inch pipe right out the back. Running about 16 to 18 lbs of boost. I had my Lightning and raced him a few times. Lightning would run 12.50's at that time. He would out run me most of the time. With a basically stock 2.2 L turbo chrysler Lebanon and also about 90 % of all hot rods in our area. So you should watch out for small cars with big turbos. They will surprise you. Looking at that car, you would never think it would run 12's. It was loaded. Power everything and the computer would talk to you. " Keys are in the ignition" " Lights are on" WE would LOFAO. :hysterical: He only had about 500 dollars total in the car. ;)

When my son was 16. A good friend had an old 85 chrysler Lebanon. 2.2 L turbo and it was in great shape. We ask him if he wanted to sell it. He said you can have it, an old man gave it to me. It hadn't been driven in years. UGLY gold with a tore up convertible top. Only had 60K on on the clock. We pulled the gas tank. Installed a new pump and filter. It started right up and ran like new. He sent the PCM out to be tuned. Then we put an adjustable waste gate on. Install 3 inch pipe right out the back. Running about 16 to 18 lbs of boost. I had my Lightning and raced him a few times. Lightning would run 12.50's at that time. He would out run me most of the time. With a basically stock 2.2 L turbo chrysler Lebanon and also about 90 % of all hot rods in our area. So you should watch out for small cars with big turbos. They will surprise you. Looking at that car, you would never think it would run 12's. It was loaded. Power everything and the computer would talk to you. " Keys are in the ignition" " Lights are on" WE would LOFAO. :hysterical: He only had about 500 dollars total in the car. ;)

i fear lancer Evo, i was beaten by one and mine was stock his was modded!

Going onto an freeway onramp (no traffic around) following an SRT-4 ACR Neon. Wouldn't think he would want to play, but I was ready just in case. I get on it as soon as I see he does and I can't reel him in? I know these can be heavily modded, but it's pretty bad that I couldn't outright take a 4cyl Neon! I guess I need to start the mods.

Make a road trip down to Lethbridge and we will install a pulley/tune/intake. Makes a big difference, talk to you soon! We may as well do the upper and lower control arms while we are at it as you will have a wheel hop issue. Dactyl's heat exchanger next?

Make a road trip down to Lethbridge and we will install a pulley/tune/intake. Makes a big difference, talk to you soon! We may as well do the upper and lower control arms while we are at it as you will have a wheel hop issue. Dactyl's heat exchanger next?

I have an intake and have been hunting around for the right tune. Tech Motion in Calgary seems to do a great job from the guys I have talked to. Dyno and tune specific for the car. I thought about a pully, but don't want to do that until I take my car in to have the clutch checked out. I think I need the TSB. Did you change the UCA and LCA's yourself? I didn't really want to tackle it myself.

LOL. Got your ass kicked.

Reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me. I once had a '97 BMW M3, and took it to my local dragway (at that time, Capitol Dragway in Millersville, MD). I got up to the line and found myself about to race a Neon. I thought, of course, this should be no problem! Well, I thought wrong - that Neon whipped my tail. I ran a 14.1 e.t. (which I think was normal for that car), and he ran a 13.4. Afterwards I went over to see him and he popped the hood. It was highly modified and running nitrous, but, it was still a Neon that beat me and I'll never forget the embarassment!

LOL. Got your ass kicked.

Sucks, I know. Just to be clear, he didn't walk away from me...he was a car length in front of me on the on ramp when he nailed it and he stayed a car length in front of me all the way to 100. It was suprising to say the least, but a good lesson not to take any car lightly.

i had a stage 3r srt-4 ran 11.8 in the 1/4 mile, not much can touch it :)

I have an intake and have been hunting around for the right tune. Tech Motion in Calgary seems to do a great job from the guys I have talked to. Dyno and tune specific for the car. I thought about a pully, but don't want to do that until I take my car in to have the clutch checked out. I think I need the TSB. Did you change the UCA and LCA's yourself? I didn't really want to tackle it myself.

Have you tried "The Mustang Shop" in Calgary? I grew up in Calgary, left to go to Edmonton(gasp) 6 years ago. They used to tune and do all the work on my Mustangs. They are expert tuners and know everything about mustangs. They where the first SCT dealer in Canada and are one of the longest users of SCT software around. Certified level 3 software etc etc. Anyway I highly recommed them now if only I could find someone to do my work in Edmonton I'd be happy :/

i had a stage 3r srt-4 ran 11.8 in the 1/4 mile, not much can touch it :)

Until your shift knob comes off because they are not threaded and you miss a gear and blow the engine lol. My brother had one and we had to jb weld that biznitch the first time he gave me a ride in his car. He grabbed second and the knob flew off lol.

Roger

Until your shift knob comes off because they are not threaded and you miss a gear and blow the engine lol. My brother had one and we had to jb weld that biznitch the first time he gave me a ride in his car. He grabbed second and the knob flew off lol.

Roger

who had the stock knob and shifter :)

ya reason we like to roll is we cant hook up, lol...

I know how you feel...I got taken by a Ducati the other day...WTF?! How can 2 wheels be faster than 4? :hysterical:

Im just kidding...it was actually 2 of them. I didnt mind..it was fun they even wanted to see my car go.

The annoying ones are the hoodless primered and patched mid 80s Camaros that are mufflerless and have some component underneath tied up with a coat hanger....but Im guessing that GIANT gauge ducktaped to the dash makes the car fast, right?

Those SRT-4's are no joke! I remember about four years ago? when I had the '95 Mustang GT, they would walk circles around me! You put a stage 3 on those lil' Neons and they'll straight GO boy! Remember, the SRT-4's used to be the "car" for the young crowd, along with the Subaru's and Evo's, which if done properly became "Porsche killers."

So yess... a 3900lb Shelby, no problem. Don't feel too bad.

Yes, I did change them myself in the garage with the car on Rhino ramps. LCA's are simple, the upper was a little more challenging! I got my Intake, tune and pulley fro Evo, so far so good.

Small cars? Don't be fooled by them. Some can be quite lethal...

Archived