TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tick! Yes, I just read around 40 threads using search

ChrisSD

ChrisSD,

When you get to discussing with the engineers, can you please find out if they think any level of that noise is "normal"? Mine does it a bit, too, but I think significantly less than your video seems to suggest. I just want to know if I need to pursue something, or if I just consider it a "trait" of the 5.4....

I as well would be interested in what the engineers say. Both of my GT500s have the noise. Interesting though has anyone else noticed if it quiets down if the AC in the car is turned off? My seems to be louder with the AC on.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will update.

I will not accept "it's normal" as an answer. I will ask EXACTLY what part in the engine is making the noise. "It's normal" is a damn copout and really means "we don't know". If someone says "well sir the piston skirts are short so there will always be some piston slap, that's what the noise is " it is more of an educated, REAL answer. I will accept nothing less.

Will update.

I will not accept "it's normal" as an answer. I will ask EXACTLY what part in the engine is making the noise. "It's normal" is a damn copout and really means "we don't know". If someone says "well sir the piston skirts are short so there will always be some piston slap, that's what the noise is " it is more of an educated, REAL answer. I will accept nothing less.

Thanks for staying on this ChrisSD. We tickers are all very interested in your update.

Dealer pissed me off bad enough that I went there and got the car. The Ford engineers come Wednesday, I am going to send them to a different dealer.

I got underneath with it running and used my stethoscope. Poked:

Bottom of oil pan: No noise, just swishing.

Exhaust collector, both sides: smooth "flowing" sound.

Top end, everywhere: Never got the noise louder. Heard normal camshaft action and injector pulse.

Front tip of bottom of bellhousing: THIS is where I hear it well. I had my wife hold the clutch in, then out for 10 second durations and this did not affect the noise.

You're telling me!!!!

Watch, after all this, I'll get "it's normal".

It may be typical, but not what I call normal. If they say injectors, they are covering up. No way that is injector noise.... They may not want to admit what it really is, however, what it really is, may not cause is reduction in engine life either....

I was told it is an "engine development engineer" by the service advisor.

The car is at a dealer I have never used other than the odd part here and there, but the dealer has a very experienced, friendly master tech who also owns a GT500. I met him when I dropped the car off. I feel good and can sleep at night!

I was told it is an "engine development engineer".

The car is at a dealer I have never used other than the odd part here and there, but the dealer has a very experienced, friendly master tech who also owns a GT500. I met him when I dropped the car off. I feel good and can sleep at night!

Which dealer is it at? Took my car to Mossy the other day and just didn't get a warm fuzzy from the service guy that helped me.

PM me for the dealer.

No real updates today. The service manager called and asked for permission to let the Ford guys take off the valve cover. That's all he told me. I think the service manager at the original dealer talked a bunch of shit and called the current dealer or something. I am going to wreck my selling dealer on my customer satisfaction survey. I will simply tell the truth in a calm manner. The truth stinks for my selling dealer. What a great PDI my selling dealer did. Bad fuel pump that I could *hear* upon starting the car for my first time.

My LoJack early warning alert notified me which means the car was moved around. It usually has to move a little bit more than just driving around a car lot to trigger the early warning.

from talking to my salesman when I got my car those satisfaction surveys are huge. He had to make sure he took me to the service dept and parts counter to introduce me to people there and set up my first scheduled service even though he knew I wouldn't go back to him for any parts/service. its on the survey asking if the salesman did this. after some problems with Galpin Ford I went to their website and left a bad comment on their contact us page. the next day I had the guy that works right under the GM call me and later that day the GM himself actually called. I hope the salesman there got fired. anyways, PM sent about the dealer

I know I may come off a bit negative of the car but that is not my intention. The car design is awesome and I LOVE IT. It is unfortunate, for me at least, that I have had so many problems but the last thing I want is my money back. The original dealer offered to buy me out of the car and I said no, fix it. Then they played dumb and tried to just shove me off. That's why the car is at another dealer. SVT designed the ultimate car for me, there were just problems on the assembly line.

Ideally I wish Ford would send me an identical car with no problems ( which I should have received for $50,000 ) but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards. Ford themselves have been VERY responsive to my concerns and the current dealer the car sits at I am very happy with so far.

Ford and my dealer tech fixed three things today:

1. Weird e-brake vibration ONLY when passing 10MPH in any gear, under power. RPM and gear in use didn't matter, just that speed. I am not sure what the fix was, but the problem is 100% GONE. It was really annoying and very evident. My wife could feel it in the passenger seat.

2. Ripped air filter replaced with new one. Checks yours guys. The factory is overtightening them I think. Check by the worm clamp edges.

3. Seat stuffing popping out, they fixed that too.

Jury is out on the tick. Ford had left, and I was told I would get a call when they come to their conclusions. The fact that they released the car to me tells me Ford probably thinks it's fine, just annoying. We'll see and I will keep updated. Once the jury comes back on the tick and I touch up my bumper paint issue myself I will be a happy camper.

Ford and this dealer really made up for the complete customer satisfaction failure of Drew Ford in San Diego.

ChrisSD:

I spoke to one of my buddies that has an 04 Mach 1 last night. He says that his engine also has the ticking isssue. He referenced me to the Mach 1 registry and said there are many threads about this same issue. It might be interesting to check that out. As far as a diagnosis, he was also unsure but Ford had told him (and others) that it was not a problem, just an anoyance.

Latest update.

Haven't heard directly from Ford, but the dealer called and asked for the car back next Wednesday. Ford I guess called them and had them arrange it. They are going to pull off the driver side valve cover and do something. They're being pretty hush hush about it but Ford is working the case and the dealer is great so I am not complaining. Will keep updated. They are probably going to mess with the HLA's and maybe look at the cam chain. My non mechanic opinion is the chain is whacking the timing cover. Since under load it DOES NOT happen period, only on throttle release down low, under 1400 RPM. Even turning the A/C on shuts it up a bit but not completely.

Chris--been folowing your saga and glad Ford is fixing stuff for you.Ive checked my car and just dont hear anything at all.So i was wondering if its a fuction of who built your engine.I see the eninge assemblers names are on a plate in the engine compartment,itd be interesting to see if theres any commonality among the folks who have a tick with the same pair of builders.

Archived