TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tick! Yes, I just read around 40 threads using search

ChrisSD

I have bone stock 2010, 500 miles. Still on factory oil and filter.

Doesn't get louder when revving, now does it cold ( louder ) and warm ( less loud but present ). Update:

Ok here is a video. Sorry for the sound cutting in and out, that's a result of the photobucket compression :/

It's pretty obvious. I bought a stethoscope and poked around but just could not locate an area where it got louder. I don't think this noise can be normal.

th_20090904080503.jpg

Note: Clutch in or out makes no difference.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My '08 does it, too. I, too, am an engineer and it makes life a bitch... I hear every damn noise anything makes, or feel tolerance in everything. It is a damn disorder.... Kids get a bike, I readjust everything to get it just right, etc...

I have heard this same noise on Ford F150's at gas stations. (pathetic that I would actually be listing to the F150 at the gas pump next to me, I know...)

I have concluded it is normal....

I have bone stock 2010, 500 miles. Still on factory oil and filter.

I have a tick on cold starts only, gone within a minute of driving, doesn't appear on warm restart. Doesn't get louder when revving after cold start. Normal for this engine? It is not the injectors, which are noisy as hell too! I read a lot of threads and most were about tick even when warm etc.

no tick on mine but my 05 mustang gt always had a tick on it .

It's not so much a tick as it is a clackity clack, marbles rolling in a metal pan diesel sound. Not LOUD like that, but enough to piss me off! It's the worst when cold, once heated it gets much quieter but is still there. I'll get some video sometime. It has 5/60 to blow up if it's something that gets worse.

The video of the Ford GT above at the times I indicated are exactly the noise.

Ok here is a video. Sorry for the sound cutting in and out, that's a result of the photobucket compression :/

It's pretty obvious. I bought a stethoscope and poked around but just could not locate an area where it got louder. I don't think this noise can be normal.

th_20090904080503.jpg

th_20090904080503.jpg

Mine makes that noise too. Yours seems like it might be louder than mine, but with a camera and a speaker compared to me listing to my car, who knows? But I do know my car makes that noise, and many others have also said theirs make the same noise. And even others with 5.4's in F150's say they make that noise, too. So it may not be normal, but it does seem somewhat typical.

Hello, I think you sent me a message- PM I have a 2008 GT500 she only has 1500 miles on her. She did the tick as well. It was also on the original oil and filter, So I had it changed at the for dealer with 672 miles. This is where it got interesting. My noise would not do it cold at all. She would do it when she was warm after you shut down and turn off, wait 2 minutes then she would do it for a few seconds and then all of a sudden go away. I made appoitnement with the Master Tech who works only on GT500 & Ford GT He told me the early production 2007's that where built in 2006 and early april 2007 needed left driver head replacement. I was so shiting my pants as I didnt want a car with a changed head so I was like thats it getting rid if her. But Mines a 2008 Built 3rd week of november 2007 so almost 2008 so he pulled me aside and said dont worry you are AOK!! He said he would be honest and not lie. I really belived him after our hour meeting and test drive. He told me DRIVE that damn car. So I took it on road trip and put 800 miles on her! She drive great and dont have any problems. He told me these engines are built tough and right! I am truely happy with my GT500 the best car I have ever owned!!!

1,560 miles no noise anymore : )

probally needed good breakin! :happy feet:

My 04 Lighting had the same exact noise. It was always alot louder when cold like in the winter months, but once it was up to operating temp it went away. I was told by a very knowlegable Modular engine builder that it was a loose piston/rod wrist pin, but when it heats up the metals expand and eliminate the looseness. I left it alone and just drove it. It still runs strong with no problems. Are you sure it has the 5W-50 oil in it?

My 04 Lighting had the same exact noise. It was always alot louder when cold like in the winter months, but once it was up to operating temp it went away. I was told by a very knowlegable Modular engine builder that it was a loose piston/rod wrist pin, but when it heats up the metals expand and eliminate the looseness. I left it alone and just drove it. It still runs strong with no problems. Are you sure it has the 5W-50 oil in it?

Positive. I just did a change using Motorcraft B spec 5w50 full synthetic.

i have a ticker, not when cold though. when she warms up, the party begins...

Mine is worst when cold, then settles to whats on the video. That is NOT normal, no matter what anyone says. If it's JUST an annoyance, Ford should be able to say WHAT PART it is, and that it's normal.

I emailed several people at Ford, very high up. All replied. Later a woman named Lynn from "Ford Executive Offices" called me. They are sending a Ford Service Engineer and a Ford Powertrain Engineer to the dealer.

Will keep updated.

ChrisSD,

When you get to discussing with the engineers, can you please find out if they think any level of that noise is "normal"? Mine does it a bit, too, but I think significantly less than your video seems to suggest. I just want to know if I need to pursue something, or if I just consider it a "trait" of the 5.4....

Thanks roadpig.

One thing I hate about myself is I am an engineer by trade ( nothing mechanical or automotive based tho ) and I hear and overanalyze EVERYTHING!!!

Just put your pocket protectors over your ears and your problem will be solved. :hysterical:

Archived